• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can I take high codeine doses over 12 hours?

John3390

Greenlighter
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if I can take 240mg of codeine every 4 hours? I know it has a half life of about 3-4 hours but does that make it safe to dose again after its half life or does it linger in your blood and become toxic? Thanks.

Assuming it's just codeine, you can keep taking it 'til the opioid activity makes you sick to your stomach and the histamine release makes you itchy, or you get tired of the effects. Doesn't accumulate or hurt your liver/kidneys.

I took codeine extensively for a year or so, and found that you need to wait 6 hours (give or take) from your last dose if you want your next one to have effect - the explanation I was given at the time is that the enzymes which metabolize it into it's active metabolites stay blocked for 6 hours after dosing. The only real way to take codeine all day is to find a dose which gives you the effects you seek, then take it every 6 hours, I found if I tried to redose before that 6 hours, even if the first dose was under the ceiling dose, it would have no effect.

The problem is that codeine doesn't last 6 hours, so you get that gap of 2 hours where the tail end of the last dose has worn off, but you can't take the new dose, which is very frustrating, especially if you're using it for pain.

Thats interesting I think your right, it seems much more effective if I wait for longer. Thanks buddy.