Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Wentworth (Aus)

poledriver

Bluelighter
Premise -

Wentworth is set in modern-day Australia and focuses on Bea Smith (Danielle Cormack) when she first enters prison after being charged with the attempted murder of her husband. Bea is separated from her daughter and sent to Wentworth on remand, where she lives in "an uncertain limbo" until she is sentenced. Bea is then forced to learn how the prison works.

Wentworth is an Australian television drama series. It was first broadcast on SoHo on 1 May 2013. The series serves as a contemporary reimagining of Prisoner, which ran on Network Ten from 1979 to 1986. Lara Radulovich and David Hannam developed Wentworth from Reg Watson's original concept. The series is set in the modern day and centres on Bea Smith's (Danielle Cormack) early days in prison. Wentworth is filmed on a purpose built set in the suburb of Clayton. It has received a mostly positive reception from critics and the first episode became the most watched Australian drama series premiere in Foxtel history. The series was picked up by several countries, including New Zealand and the UK, where it has been retitled Wentworth Prison. The drama was renewed for a second season, which began airing from 20 May 2014, and a third season.

Wentworth_title.png

I know not many people here have probably seen or heard of this, and I hadn't either, I still haven't started to watch it, but I just read an article in todays paper that sounded OK so I thought I would give it a try. I can see it is available via streaming website I use and it maybe on torrents if anyone is interested. Here's some of the article from the paper about it -

You come to work and get stabbed, punched — Danielle Cormack on the toll of even filming prison life

DANIELLE Cormack can fray your nerves.
So completely does she immerse herself in the tortured world of Bea Smith, the character she plays in prison drama Wentworth, that Cormack leaves you shaken, and stirred.

First there was her portrayal of Bea’s suffering at the hands of an abusive husband, then the horror of being marooned in the spartan confines of prison.

292384-16d94da8-e559-11e3-ba62-a129b4e220c3.jpg

What really tested her mettle as a performer was expressing the molten anger that overcame Bea when she discovered inmate Jacs Holt (Kris McQuade) had orchestrated the murder of her daughter, Debbie.
In a harrowing conclusion to season one, Jacs’ son, Brayden, emptied a drug-filled syringe into Debbie’s arm, then casually walked from her bedroom — leaving her lifeless body sprawled across her bed.

293713-37ed8cc0-e559-11e3-ba62-a129b4e220c3.jpg

Bea, pen in hand, responded with a frenzied attack on Jacs, killing her with a stab wound to the neck.
Season two of Wentworth has opened three months after Holt’s death. Bea’s been in a zombie-like haze, a picture of aching vulnerability because of heavy medication.

When forced to go cold turkey by new governor Joan “The Freak” Ferguson (Pamela Rabe), Bea, jolted by the realisation her conversations with her daughter are nothing but hallucinations, rediscovers a purpose in life. Her motivation is to cut the evil Brayden down.
In a Switched On interview in the bowels of the fictional Wentworth prison, it’s clear Cormack has deep, intense feelings about her work. But at times, perhaps through tiredness, she finds it tricky to elucidate them.
Cormack, star of Underbelly: Razor and a mother of two from New Zealand, says, “This job is challenging for all of us.

“It really takes it out of you and patience can be frayed. I’m tired even talking to you about it,” she adds with a wry smile.
“You come to work and you get stabbed, punched. But we are creating a show. It’s important to remember there are people who are going through this kind of thing in real life as we are in here shooting it.

292466-0e67d9ea-e55a-11e3-ba62-a129b4e220c3.jpg

“It’s the cast who are always mentioned (applauded) for their work, but there are all these people, such as Craig Barden (cinematography) and our directors and crew, who make the show great and build our world (prison).”
Issues of women and violence and the circumstances that lead them to incarceration weigh heavily on Cormack.

It’s a reason she decided, in her research for the role, to visit the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre in Victoria. She hoped meeting inmates would keep her performance “rooted in truth”.
“I got a real sense of their world,” Cormack says. “There is a camaraderie in there and for some women this is a safe haven for them. It gave me an understanding of how women come to be in institutions.”
Cormack, 43, has traversed an impressive arc in the characters she’s played in a career that took off in New Zealand in 1985.

293994-b3a880c8-e157-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ming-prison-life/story-e6frfmyi-1226933294022

If anyone has seen it tell us what you think of it, and I will come back and post what I think about it after I have watched a few of them.

lol, well I watched the first one. It's a foxtel thing. I'll probably watch more, it kept me interested I guess.