• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone?

easy as

Bluelighter
Just wanted to get some ideas from you all about your opinions on methadone. I have a pretty big pill habit over here is Asia and am fairly sure I'll be back on the needle as soon as I'm stateside. However, I've been thinking about methadone and then possibly tapering off. This all might be a few weeks after I get home, but I don't want to fall into the trap again. Again thoughts on benefits deficits that you've personally encountered?

Get down your pill habit & ensure you get few 100 Dihydrocodines to yourself in the US and use DHC. It will not totally stop a HUGE habit but I've seen people on 240mg of DHC every 6 hours (guys who did ⅛Oz brown a day, smoked) who were OK with DHC and it's much easier to go down. Knock 15mg off each hit for fast but 'functional' reduction. As for cravings, get a nalmefene implant.

Good luck man!

Unless you have a large habit and have failed at getting clean other ways, I'd recommend buprenorphine over methadone.

But in general, methadone can be great if used properly.

Thanks guys for the heads up. I agree with the subs idea, but they are SO much more expensive. Also, the Dihydrocodeins are hard to find in that quantity. I'm sure if I had access to that kind of script in the US I would be scripted something much better. Also, I don't want to take any more fillers/acetaminophen as my liver count is off the chart from eating so many pills. Even though I CWE, a lot isn't filtered through due to my lack of patience. Does anyone have any info on the cost of Sub/Bups? I looked at some clinics and the cost was exorbitant without insurance, and since I'm returning stateside I thought I would take methadone for a few weeks/months until I get a secure job and then try to ween off that way.

I know it's a bitch to come off, but am pretty sure if I don't do this I'll be back to injecting a few grams a day and I'm tired of it all. I'm tired of the shots, the pills, the patches, the CWE, the counting my money in tens, the way I wake up every morning and say not today; then get so sick i say I'll taper starting tomorrow and on and on.... Sorry to bitch, and I'm sure I'll be back at it when I return to the states, but I wanted to get some different points of view from those of you who've tried methadone and gone through a taper. I'm trying to stick to my taper now, but with percs and the occasional stick here and there.

i'd really appreciate some personal accounts of methadone tapering from a 200mg/day habit. If I can get that down to say 50mg by the time I'm home I'm thinking it will take about 12-16 weeks for the taper. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

Damn, 200mg is a huge amount, id taper down about 5mg a week if you can.

If you come off of that amount cold turkey, you WILL end up in the hospital. Ive ended up in the hospital a few times due to really bad w/ds, and they dont really do much to help ease this pain, the most they will give you is Librium, phenobarb, etc.

good luck

Yeah, I'm down to 180 and without too many WD's: only the sweats, RLS, and pins and needles prickly skin. However my bowels are intact and I can get about 4-5 hours sleep each night and keep food down, so I'm thinking I'm not tapering too fast.

I've never taken methadone, I did have a opiate addiction though. A couple of my friends went the methadone route though, one of them has taken it for almost four years I think and he's having the hardest time getting off of it...The others are all still on it and I don't think they plan on ever getting off of it, they lower they're doses and then go back up. Some of them are slowly lowering their dosage but meanwhile doing pills... Hope this helps a bit.. Good luck

I'd recommend suboxone/subutex before methadone. Methadone is very difficult to get off.