• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol intoxication and mACHr

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
I have an inkling as to what will reduce alcohol tolerance

(Ps what happened to the alcohol prefix? Was there never one?)

I find that I can drink

By bed time and I feel restless, I just take 25mg doxylamine succinate

By the next day I am feeling great. No "ugh" feeling. I don't experience hangovers as is, but it's like I am 100% the same

So what is up with this?

Salvia also reduces alcohol desire for me

Is it a choline effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched your thread prefix over.

It could be that the doxylamine improves your sleep architecture somewhat. I don't think it's actually doing anything for your tolerance.

I highly doubt that the Doxylamine fixes sleep patterns as all neuroleptic drugs greatly decrease 'delta wave' brain activity during REM sleep. Also, since Alcohol is a Nicotinic agonist, it would stand to reason that blocking mAChR would actually cause someone to become way more restless as mAChR and nAChR (in the ANS) have opposite effects on muscle tissue (nAChR excites muscle tissue, while mAChR depresses it).

Personally? I don't know what's going on here tbh. Some unknown mechanism is helping you sleep. Also, just so you know - Alcohol causes insomnia. It's a good idea not to drink at least 5 hours before you go to bed. If you need the GABAnergic effects, there are plenty of other meds (e.g Benzodiazepines, Valproate, Gabapentin, Pregabalin) that have some good GABAnergic activity that aren't anywhere as destructive to your body as Ethanol.

--------------------------

To lower tolerance to Alcohol, I suggest taking a therapeutic dosage of Dextromethorphan everyday. This stops tolerance to all sorts of drugs from building up as fast. It works for Amphetamines, it works for Opioids, and it works for Benzo's. Do not take DXM and alcohol together though.

I switched your thread prefix over.

It could be that the doxylamine improves your sleep architecture somewhat. I don't think it's actually doing anything for your tolerance.

I was under the impression that muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonists reduced sleep architecture could you tell me more about how this could possibly be improving my sleep architecture?

Thanks for your honest opinion.

I highly doubt that the Doxylamine fixes sleep patterns as all neuroleptic drugs greatly decrease 'delta wave' brain activity during REM sleep. Also, since Alcohol is a Nicotinic agonist, it would stand to reason that blocking mAChR would actually cause someone to become way more restless as mAChR and nAChR (in the ANS) have opposite effects on muscle tissue (nAChR excites muscle tissue, while mAChR depresses it).

Personally? I don't know what's going on here tbh. Some unknown mechanism is helping you sleep. Also, just so you know - Alcohol causes insomnia. It's a good idea not to drink at least 5 hours before you go to bed. If you need the GABAnergic effects, there are plenty of other meds (e.g Benzodiazepines, Valproate, Gabapentin, Pregabalin) that have some good GABAnergic activity that aren't anywhere as destructive to your body as Ethanol.

--------------------------

To lower tolerance to Alcohol, I suggest taking a therapeutic dosage of Dextromethorphan everyday. This stops tolerance to all sorts of drugs from building up as fast. It works for Amphetamines, it works for Opioids, and it works for Benzo's. Do not take DXM and alcohol together though.

Yes, of course, I agree this is what is making me wonder what's up. I figured it wouldn't help and would increase restlessness. But it doesn't.

I am currently unable to acquire prescribed temazepam/alprazolam; which I agree would work wonders.

I know alcohol causes insomnia but I am not sure why this is; from my understanding other than interruption of sleep architecture i don't get it. I don't get insomnia from much more of other downers (meth will cause insomnia for me but I haven't used meth in a long time).

I am not a fan of DXM use but I should try it again. I can withstand it.

Thank you for the response.

I am not a fan of DXM use but I should try it again. I can withstand it.

Even taking doses~20mg can still give you a solid chance of tolerance maintenance - Probably already did this but read through the NMDA Antagonists For Tolerance Reduction thread again- it provides a lot of alternatives other than DXM

Sleep architecture can be disrupted in many ways. It's entirely possible that the effects of alcohol on e.g. REM activity and sleep onset are counteracted somewhat by the doxylamine leading to improved subjective sleep quality relative to alcohol alone. Doxylamine improves some measures of sleep architecture, (it's one of the most potent sedative antihistamines) and moreover it kind of makes sense that taking a sedative to counteract the effects of a drug that gives you insomnia would work.

I was under the impression that muscarinic acetylcholine receptor antagonists reduced sleep architecture
I don't think it's terribly strong as a muscarinic antagonist in light of its potent activity at the central histamine receptors. And to be fair you don't have a 100% normal sleep architecture after drinking alcohol.

Alcohol is actually a NMDA antagonist all on its own, btw. I have doubts that taking DXM will help tolerance for that reason. (same as DXM for ketamine tolerance ;))

Once cirrhosis kicks in your tolerance will drop incredibly. Just saying

Alcohol is actually a NMDA antagonist all on its own, btw. I have doubts that taking DXM will help tolerance for that reason. (same as DXM for ketamine tolerance ;))

Duhhh lol it says that in the thread i recommended even and i didn't catch that ahahahahaha