• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why does diphenhydramine potentiate opioids?

Hydromethomine

Bluelighter
So, I know that diphenhydramine potentiates opioids. I just did it, and it felt wonderful. i would just like to know exactly WHY it does this. Thanks :\

It doesn't, it just adds sedation fooling the user into thinking their dose has been "potentiated". Antihistamines actually dull my opiate highs... I don't consider drowsiness potentiation in any way. Same thing goes for benzos, benzos ruin opiate highs for me, I'm sure someone is gonna come in and disagree with this but I've never noticed any sort of potentiation with benzos. The only things that I've found to truely potentiate opiates is soma (carisoprodol) and phenibut.

I felt it to slightly potentiate my high earlier, but with only a 25mg Benadryl. 15mg Hydrocodone with a 25mg Benedryl tablet worked fairly well for me. How much diphenhydramine did you take at the time?

Any amount whether it be 25 or 50mgs, the only thing it did was take away the itches and make me drowsy. Trust me, I went through the whole potentiation phase, I mean I tried everything from cimetadine (tagamet) to gf juice to DPH to DXM.... the list can go on and I realized the only way to potentiate my high is to eat more opiates. Oh, when I was on antibiotics, clarithromycin sp? or "Biaxin" potentiated the shit out of my opioids but it's stupid to use antibiotics for the sole purpose of potentiation, not to mention biaxin had horrible side-effects for me. If it works for you keep at it.

Actually it does, Google diphenhydramine potentiates analgesic effect of morphine

Wow that's great to know. I have tons of benadryl that I was planning to "trip" with, but I think I will just use it with the lortab I get tomorrow :)

I was gonna say bc it makes you tired. I don't think it makes them "stronger" just more tired. As far as benzos & opiates I definitely think it makes methadone stronger.

Yeah yeah yeah I'm very aware of that I've taken it 3 or 4 times before. It's just purely a delirent at high doses.

Analgesia doesn't = euphoria or quality of high

Nope, but those are subjective things, potentiation is an objective measure of increased drug activity.

I found suboxone completely ineffective after a while, but with a benadryl the dreams I wanted came back. Tolerance developed to that effective tho, and eventually I was at 7.5x25mg with each dose

Your right, it's up to the user to decide what they consider worthwhile potentiation, in this case though I think it's fair to assume the op is inquiring about an increase in recreational effects and not analgesia. IMO DPH only makes me tired and takes away from the high but I'm a purist most of the time when it comes to my opiates, I find that the opiate high is easily overtaken by other drugs... you really seem to enjoy those dreams though don't you ;)

I agree with the Captain that the best "potentiation" of opiates is to take more. Anything that adds sedation to an opiate high sullies the experience, IMO. Heavy first gen antihistamines like doxylamine suck for me. Same with benzos. Just makes me tired, that's it.

Having said that, I find a small dose of either dextromethorphan (DXM) or diphenhydramine absolutely invaluable in preventing or limiting histamine response and nausea. I've got a fair tolerance so most of the time I don't need it at all, but if I do a CWE with codeine I tend to use rather a lot and GOOD GOD if i don't take around 30mg of DXM 20 minutes beforehand I get shocking itches. Not the nice little ones which are fun to scratch - the ones that are more like a rash covering my whole upper body and burning hot and stinging.

Only happens with codeine.

For large doses of pod tea or opium, DPH seems to work wonders in reducing nausea. Not even really nausea, more like an uncomfortable pressure in the abdomen.

CK - you don't find that Cannabis potentates your opiate highs? I agree with everything else your sayin, but I'd consider Cannabis a better at potentiating then Soma as IME it adds to the euphoria of any opiate, and increases nodding (which isn't my thing, but most like it. Personally I prefer light hyper functional opiate highs and feel my life is being wasted when I happen to nodd).

Mj potentiates kratom a ton, opiates.... ehhh not so much for me, like I said I'm a rather purist when it comes to true opioids. Soma definately potentiates more than cannabis for me. I remember the first time I took a soma with my normal dose of dilaudid I was nodding so fucking hard I thought I was gonna die, it was amazing ;). Nowadays the potentiation isn't as extreme but it really adds some jelly legs to that oh so pleasurable euphoria, ymmv of course...

Your right, it's up to the user to decide what they consider worthwhile potentiation, in this case though I think it's fair to assume the op is inquiring about an increase in recreational effects and not analgesia. IMO DPH only makes me tired and takes away from the high but I'm a purist most of the time when it comes to my opiates, I find that the opiate high is easily overtaken by other drugs... you really seem to enjoy those dreams though don't you ;)

They were the reason I took them, I was fascinated with this state, the one that inspired Kubla Khan and who knows whatever poetry. I used to write a lot of poetry and the ones that won or were otherwise most well received were composed under the influence and inspired by what I saw. I used drugs only to write for the longest time. But then I quit using pods and the best time spent in the land of nod, so to speak had come to an end. Nothing I've tried compares to pods in this respect.

What I meant actually was that because euphoria and most other recreational effects are subjective what potentiates those effects for you will likely be different for me or anyone else. That it potentiates some effects is undeniable, but whether it does so in a sought after way is harder to answer. I think most would say yes. Heroin combined with dph is apparently more addictive via IV, but dph seems to have a decent rush itself. Antihistamines are known for this, of course, as cyclizine and a few others have been known to be used in specific combination.

With the exception of dph there's little I want combined with opioids. Dph is really only with suboxone, too. Otherwise I don't add anything to them. I may add opioids to stimulants during the crash, but that's really the reverse.

DPH potentates by inhibits the enzymes that metabolize most opioids. DPH also synergizes by adding some sedation. Come on guys.