• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Using magnesium suppliments for tolerance.

DrGonzoLady

Greenlighter
I have been taking magnesium supplements with chelated zinc ( 3 tablets a day for 400 mg total ) for about 3 weeks now. Aside from the normal benefits when you take it, I've read that magnesium blocks some hokus-pokus chemical from making prison yard bitches out the happy receptors in your brain, or sumptin. Sorry if I got too technical there for a minute, as I rather enjoy flaunting my vast knowlege of neurology. Basiclly, the magnesium helps to keep your tolerance to crystal meth from going up, possibly . I also read that it helps prevent jaw clenching. Im not sure how much of this is true and if my tolorance has plateued or not because I only use speed occasionally. Also, does anyone know what kind is best? Is the kind im taking effective? Do you have to take the suppliment for a period of time before its benefical? Has magnesium helped anyone else? Just wondering..

Last edited:
I've done this before and only had success when I had a very* minimal habit (20-30mg hydrocodone ONCE a week, never ever more.. fell off that train awhile ago) It did work for me though. I took 500mg magnesium once a day but sucked on these lozengers that had a lot of zinc in them.. Do not recall the precise form of zinc.. they are marketed to people for colds. I did it for 6 days (in between when I wasn't using) and I got fucking blasted when I took my normal dose. I do not attribute it to a placebo.. I was far too high (puked) so it wasn't a placebo. I do this off and on with just magnesium as zinc fucks with my stomach. I'm not sure if it helps. My tolerance is pretty high now. It absolutely does **reduce** jaw clenching, it does not prevent it (I have TMJ)

Just noticed this is for amphetamines and not opiates.. I have never ever heard it being used for anything other than opiates.

I am actually prescribed gabapentin ( sometimes Iike to take a double dose and get stupid, we called them floaters in treatment. ) thank you for that little fact. Nice to know.

I take 1.5 grams of magnesium oxide and my tolerance to opioids and kratom still rises as it would normally. In reality though magnesium oxide has shitty bioavailability so 1.5 grams isn't too much. Does anybody know how strong an NMDA antagonist magnesium is? I'm assuming it's NMDA activity is rather insignificant.

Magnesium oxide has a low, low absorption rate in the human body.

Go for chelated magnesium supplements, much better absorption rate and significant NMDA-antagonism for prevention of tolerance . I take it in doses of 250-300mg to prevent my opioid/methadone tolerance from rising any higher than it is.

I know, I usually use bulk magnesium citrate powder (which works great btw, it actually has a relaxing effect in high doses) but my girlfriend got the wrong one so to make up for the low BA I take grams lol. Even when I was on the mag citrate it still did nothing for tolerance, I find really low dose MXE (like 5mgs tops) is a better tolerance stabilizer.

This is interesting because Ive only heard of taking magnesium for methamphetamine tolerance. Yet again, this is great info because I sure love me some opiates

Haha I just realized this thread was about amphetamines and not opiates 8), either way NMDA antagonism has the same effect on opiate tolerance so my post wasn't totally worthless...