Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Some issues about the Aus Social forum

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
Right... this thread is here because there's a lot of off topic discussion going on in various threads at the moment about these issues. So this is an attempt to answer some common queries and frequently asked questions about various aspects of the Aus Social forum - particularly the way it's moderated.
Q: Why are there such strict posting guidelines in Aus Social?
A: There is a very distinct difference between the Bluelight Social forum and the Aus Social forum. If both were the same thing then there'd be no point in having two separate forums at all! Aus Social is more tightly focused because there already is a place for saying anything you want. Rather than people complaining about it, they should start posting in Main Social too where that sort of stuff is not only accepted, but basically encouraged...
Q: Why do threads need to be "invitations for discussion"?
A: It refers back to things to consider when starting a new topic. If a thread is not started with the view to generating specific types of responses, most of the time the thread will just receive crap (for want of a better term) responses. A thread which is basically just a statement will be read, and then people will not know how to respond to it. So they'll just go and say anything and soon the thread will grow into a huge collection of crap. This can be fun if you're involved, but is dead boring if you just read things and don't contribute much (and those that do that far out number the post whores).
Q: What about free speech? Shouldn't I be able to post what I want?
A: The following was written by abygale in response to a similar question, and is now part of the guidelines that must be read before posting: "A lot of people around here, while hiding behind the First Amendment, don't seem to really understand the meaning of "freedom of speech." They argue all the time that "I can say whatever I want -- I have freedom of speech!!" ... well, that's true... you may SPEAK whatever you want. But the person or people who provide an avenue for communication are in no way bound to allow you to say what you want in the space they paid for ... it would be like me insisting that Macy's has to include my opinion in their full-page ad in the Sunday Times, because I have first amendment rights. They paid for the ad -- I have no right to say anything at all in that space. That is the situation with Bluelight. It was created, is owned and operated by Jase and Skydancer, who have entrusted the mods and admins with the power to try to help them run it in the way Jase and skydancer intended. This is not a democracy. There is no right to free speech here. Forum guidelines must be obeyed, or you will lose the privilege of posting."
Q: How do you define a "crap" or "stupid" topic.
A: On a case by case basis. There's no strict formula we follow aside from no dealing posts. Realistically, if you really put your mind to it you could start a post about anything - it all comes down to the way it's worded. What might be a mundane topic when written one way, can be turned into an interesting conversation provided you think before you post and word the thread in a way that invites interesting responses. But honestly, the best way to figure out what's an acceptable topic and what's not is to judge from experience. If you hang around for a little while and learn the culture before plunging in and starting new threads you're much more likely to have picked up the tricks of how not to get your thread locked or assraped.
Now, as far as this thread's invitation for discussion goes: Are there any more questions you want answered? Don't be afraid to ask - it's better than having your question explained as your thread gets locked! :)

....And always feel free to email us, any of us, if you have any concerns or opinions which you don't want to post...

Somewhat similar to how fascism is justified?!?
Not that I care all too much, but this seems a tad extreme...
[ 22 February 2002: Message edited by: PeterPoppa ]

Well excersise your right not to be here. Unlike fascism nobody's forced into participating...
Please email (or call ;) ) me if you want to continue this... this thread's not the place to do it...

i just want to say thanks to pleonastic for posting thiz topic.. i haven't been on bluelight for that long.. but especially l8ttly in the aus forum i've seen a lot of people debating of\ver what should and shouldn't b posted or topic'd .. thanks for setting it all straight.. i spose the guidlines need reinforcing like this from time to time to reinforce them so that the forum runs smoothly and there aren't so many arguments about how it should b run :)
btw i really liked abygale 's quote thing :)

Pleo... you need more to do man ;)
(Then again, I can talk :( )

im really not sure how to respond to this thread ;)
so maybe i'll just post crap :p
more seriously it needed to be said, hopefully more people will understand why rather than just bitching about it

One more thing - these have always been the case... there's nothing new here. All this is is an attempt to try to get everyone on the same level of understanding so people know where we're coming from... it's never been written before, but always applied - and that's where most of the confusion has come from I think... :)

Great post setting everything out.
Thanks Aus Soc. mods for keeping this place much tidier (and more interesting to read) than the other Social forum :)

Although there was a disclaimer about Tasteless joke collection and how it shouldn't be taken seriously. But IMHO a lot of that content was pretty inappropriate anywhere, let alone on a moderated forum.

Pleo your're fuckin with my mojo! All things aside you're a cool dude, but i really don't wont a bunch of os people who can't relate to the aus forum and what it is all a-bou-te and telling me what to think. Any sort of posting should be allowed as long as it basically answers to the thread (in the minutest detail--> as long as it's funny), but there should be some scope for off topic humour or responding to individual BLs responses for innane chatter- i mean it is titled social after all! I agree that the aus social should be restricted to things australian and pertaining to australians. Look i like tasteless jokes, and unless they are total bestial then i think they add something human to this bulletin board rather than making it sound like an uni intellectual snob forum. Look pretty much everybody here is really smart, but this is the mod version of a bitch session, completely fucked up posts asking for drugs, yeah sure close 'em, but people just trying to get a digital laugh out of another BL is just fine for aus social. But then again you're the mod so you tell me ;)

Originally posted by Tabernacle:
Pleo your're fuckin with my mojo! All things aside you're a cool dude, but i really don't wont a bunch of os people who can't relate to the aus forum and what it is all a-bou-te and telling me what to think. Any sort of posting should be allowed as long as it basically answers to the thread (in the minutest detail--> as long as it's funny), but there should be some scope for off topic humour or responding to individual BLs responses for innane chatter- i mean it is titled social after all! I agree that the aus social should be restricted to things australian and pertaining to australians. Look i like tasteless jokes, and unless they are total bestial then i think they add something human to this bulletin board rather than making it sound like an uni intellectual snob forum. Look pretty much everybody here is really smart, but this is the mod version of a bitch session, completely fucked up posts asking for drugs, yeah sure close 'em, but people just trying to get a digital laugh out of another BL is just fine for aus social. But then again you're the mod so you tell me ;)
Didn't you read anything anyone posted? The guidelines are applicable for this forum whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, don't post here. There are plenty of Australians who regularly post in the Bluelight Social forum, so I hardly think that "but i really don't wont a bunch of os people who can't relate to the aus forum and what it is all a-bou-te and telling me what to think" is a fair thing to apply to it.
In terms of dirty jokes and so on and so forth, there are SPECIFIC THREADS for those, so if you must, go and post your dirty jokes in there. There's no point in starting a new topic (emphasis on the word TOPIC) if people are going to post about something completely different in response to it. And equally so, there's no point in starting a new TOPIC if there's nothing to discuss regarding it.
"Oh hey, I ate toast!"
"Um, cool."
Wow, what a mad topic.
-changes course-
Now, having said that, I'd just like to BRIEFLY talk about the AUSTnet #bluelight channel - I figure this is probably as good a place as any, seeing as it's on an Australian server and all - and the rules that are about to be applied to that.
If we, as a collective Australian group, can't have our little inaneness in this forum, then fair enough. It's been around a lot longer than I have, it IS a discussion board after all, and Pleo has outlined what's sposed to go on in here very reasonably, so I have no problem with that. But! the fact that the word on the street is that #bluelight will become much more strictly controlled (for example, a few of us being warned that we'd be banned if we continued to talk about AFL..) poses the question "Just where ARE we supposed to go to be inane and stupid together?"
-steps down-
Carry on.
I love Pleo.

Originally posted by Tabernacle:
you're the mod so you tell meWe have told you, you might wanna start listening now...
The guidelines are always open to discussion, but if only one person disagrees with them, for trivial reasons, they're not going to change...
There is room for some off topic humour, as long as some part of the post is relevant, and as long as it doesn't lead the thread on a tangent away from the topic of the thread...
this is the mod version of a bitch sessionThis thread, as in you think we're having a bitch? ...If so, read over the 'internet etiquette' part of the guidelines again, and then read over the first post in this thread, this thread is an explanation addressing some people's queries, the only bitching involves you Tabernacle... If you mean the social forum as a whole, you haven't been paying any attention what-so-ever...
Anna: Someone wants you to talk less about the AFL? ...dodgy... Anyways, anything regarding #bluelight can be discussed ever here
[ 23 February 2002: Message edited by: Tarsarlan ]

Tabernacle: seriously, go have a look at the Bluelight Social forum - you'd probably be surprised at how many people from countries other than America post there. And if you want to post crap and generally get your "digital laugh" you'd be more than welcomed. I think we've been pretty clear about what's going on now, and we're not changing it just because you disagree... you've been registered on this board for only 33 days, so rather than try to change it to how you'd prefer it to be, maybe it'd be better to adapt to the way it is and will be for a while. :)
As for IRC, please refer to the thread Tars linked to for my comments on that...

If everyone obeyed the rules what would u do with ur time Pleo ;)
Seriously, well done to Pleo and Tarsy for all the effort they have put into the Social forum!
Remember guys, stress has a direct link to hair loss ;)

I have an issue about the Social forum - not enuff protection for those peole who are brave enuff to post different opinions ie Oceanboy / Synthesis.
Read his threads and see how many people accuse him of taking too many drugs or being a weirdo. Yes, granted his topics are a bit left of normal but he shouldn't have to put up with that shit. I think the mods should do a little more about letting Oceanboy post without fear of being ridiculed. :)

yeah you do good boys...pleo you have too much spare time, and do too well ;)
its a tough line to draw, and everyone isn't always gunna be happy. people if you wanna talk crap and it gets closed dont whinge, you should've read the guidelines when you signed up (like i'm sureeeee everyone did ;) ). this is the internet, there are more places to talk crap then there are people talking crap. so if its obviously not relevant here, dont post it.
on that topic, tarsy you closed this thread fairly early on. i said everyone isn't always gunna agree on mod's calls. but i thought this was an interesting decision. its always been my opinion that bluelight music forum is a wank, overrun by trance loving americans who want to suck oakey's dick. a topic such as this one wouldn't get one serious response in big social, and i think aus social was the one place it might have gotten a few real responses. as much as i'd love an aus music forum i dont think it'll be happening soon, so is it not cool to have music realted threads in aus social because they will be more helpful and thoughtful than in any other forum??

RBB: It's more the way it was posted rather than the topic itself which got it closed, or more specifically the claim that the thread bore no relevance to anything, yet was still posted... We want people to get the message that threads which don't promote discussion aren't really what we wan...
And more importantly, saying that a thread you're posting is totally useless is asking to have it closed in this forum...
I've got nothing against David Bowie (well not much ;) ), but as a moderator I do have much against not paying attention to the guidelines... So by all means, start a decent thread about and music/musician that will promote discussion rather than just smartass replies and it won't be closed...

And just to throw another spanner in the works, remember that you can still post topics that don't really lend themselves to discussion, but only occasionally. I called them the "News Article" thread in "things to consider when starting a new topic":
The News Article thread is where you come across something interesting in the media and so quote the media article in a new thread. These are often good because we can be alerted to something interesting that we otherwise might have missed, and they usually drop off the first page in a few days anyway. But try to restrict yourselves to only posting them occasionally - and preferably if there's not already 10 others on the first page.So basically, it's OK to do it occasionally if there's not other similar style threads around. A good example is What they DONT want you to know about water - it doesn't specifically promote discussion, but it was interesting none the less and there wasn't a whole range of similar threads around already at the time. Be careful to distinguish a "News Article" thread from an "Amusing Linkage" (which goes here).
And also try to remember that we're not setting down legislation, or specific detailed steps as to what will and won't be closed. The idea is to read everything all the mods have had to say on the issues, absorb them, and make your judgements about the thread you want to start based on that. :)