Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs & Fitness/Sport, Mixable?

krillsta

Bluelighter
Just interested to see if many people are still physically active as much as they were before getting into drugs.
Can you still remain as physically active as you were whilst still indulging in a bit of illicit fun?
Has it forced you into retirement from your old favourite sport?
Or, alternatively has it done the complete opposit and turned you into a fitness freak?
Personally after reading about the affects of drugs on the body, I've changed my diet quite a lot (not that it was bad), but now I'm a full on health food freak :p and still manage to run quite a lot, but not as much as I once did.
Cheers people
:)

to be honest, dont wanna let u down or anything, but for me, drugs and sport CANNOT mix.
used to be a competitive ice speed skater....only daBBLEd in drugs n stuff a few times not around comp season but it just couldnt work.anyway, after i quit speed and skating all up i got into the scene gradually again, and lost heapsa weight from it all without excercising.
year later i began running and was good for about 6 months, every second dayu, but then one HUGE weekend fucked it all up and when i tried to run again a few days later it just wouldnt work and i thort fuck it, i lightest had been in years from no excercise hehe so thought yay ill just party :)
and here i am, :p

I disagree.I play ice hockey and drop stuff all the time.Not at once tho ;) .Although I must admit I've given up Cricket because of the early Saturday starts. :(

well since my 're-emergence' into the chem world, I lost about 20-25 kg of lean muscle (I used to be kinda big). But now Im stopping my chem world experience (after 2 years) and starting to get back to what I once was. Waz?

Well, not that i'm exactly a frequent drug taker but i still partake in physical acitivty.
I do Tae Kwon Do and Capoeira, and goto the gym twice a week (Havent been in the holidaze tho...)
Adikkal

until i started going out and being naughty i was not into exercise at all.
now i love going to aerobics (go figure???)
i think that it is because we have a good instructor who plays good music, it is like a mini-party without the chems, i love it!!

i still play basketball 3 times a week - admitedly it is a whole lot easier now that training has shifted to a tuesday as oppposed to being on a sunday morning.
I guess it's all about moderating your intake and your going out - if you feel strongly enough about your sport then it's not hard to skip that party so you can play / train the next day.

These days I do about 5-7 hours of exercise a week. Which is the same as I did before I started going out.
My diet is still exactly the same also...

yerr, well I play basketball 3 times a week still and coach 2 teams and ref... still active.. only droped one of my coaching teams just cause they pissed me off soo much.. but i still have 2..

Physical activity wise, i'm the same as ever, doing an hour or two each day. But what i have noticed is i have become a lot more of a healthy eating freak as a direct result of attempts to post and pre load. I'm eating a more balanced diet i ever have, rather than the junk food i'd scoff down during high school days. Dare i say, i think i'm healthier now than i was before.
Plus i find the scene itself can be an athletic challenge. Especially on a friday night, i'll get to a club at 11pm and do at least a solid 5 hours of bouncing around. I'd rate dancing as one of the best forms of exercise going around. :) I personally call it my midnight aerobics session.

I personally think if you are only playing social level of sport then it won't make squat difference. If you were an elite athelete then you may have problems with muscle meltdown if you don't eat enough when your partying.
Me personally I go to the gym about 7-8 hours a week, and I find that since my fitness has increased my comedowns aren't as bad since my body recovers much quicker.

I've lost heaps of muscle mass since I've been dropping. Have found it nearly impossible to keep bulk since beginning. Toning, however, has become alot easier due to extended periods of late-night exercise.....
As for general fitness, not as good as whilst in full swimming training, but not too far off.

ok, i'm a competitive athlete. by this i mean interclub athletics every week, and i'm competitive at A-grade/state league level (the top club grade in victorian amateur athletics). i usually do 2-3 track sessions, 2-3 gym/weights sessions, 3 longer road runs and one competition every week. i was also playing social mixed netball up to 3 times a week. that's quite a lot of exercise/training for most people, as i'm sure you'd agree.
for most of the past 12 months i've been trying to juggle going out with training and racing. there is definitely a balance to be found, but the bad news is that IMHO the balance has to lean a long way towards being *good* and really restricting your parties. for much of last year i was going out every 1-2 weeks, and i probably had pills about once a month. i think that was too much. i found that i was often too tired to train the day after going out, and even the next day after that. this is the inevitable result of not sleeping, not eating enough and dancing for 5 hours on meth. fun, but bad for you. your body just can't recover fast enough to train at a high level after a night out. but the main problems i had with drugs and training were mental. i found that going out too often really decreased my motivation to train. i felt quite ambivalent about training, and i wasn't so concerned about missing sessions. my training was slipping away gradually and i basically spent almost the whole year either injured or lacking fitness (due to missing too many sessions).
since the beginning of december i've been consciously going out less and less, and apart from a couple of big events i've not really been out at all. personally i feel a lot happier when i'm fit and running well, so i've decided to cut back on my parties for a while. since i've been out less, my motivation has returned, i'm not missing any training, i've trained hard for the last 6-8 weeks and i'm now back to PB shape again (or very close). my plan for the coming few months is to attend only the big parties that i *really* want to go to (Hardware@Kryal, Two Tribes) and try to restrict it to about once a month. i think that'll work for me. i spose it's like a treat, if i train hard all month then i allow myself a release at the end of it all, and try to get back into the swing of things as quickly as possible.
so yeah, although you might be surprised at how many VIS and other sub-elite track athletes like to party hard, i really think if you're that serious about your sport you have to keep a very firm lid on your drugs/parties. the two activities don't really mix that well.
DQ.
PS fortunately i'm not good enough to be drug tested :)

Yeah, I too was once running at state level.. I blaim my demise on getting into smoking bongs (losing motivation/wacked lungs).
But having quit bongs several months ago and cutting back all over drug usage (mdma/meth/alcohol) I'm getting huge amounts of motivation to get back to my PB, which if it kept decresing at the same rate could of potentialy been mid 11s for 100m (& this was when i was like 15, PB 11.9s) so it sort of makes me wonder, 5 years down the track if I still have it in me..
So back to training I go, need to buy some spikes and go back to the track..

Who needs these Australian anti-drug ad's when we've got friends 2 tell us their woes :)
Honestly, I haven't done dick in 6months but that is by far not related to chemicals experimentations of any kind.
Then again I just rejoined gym and am starting to run again.. so there may be hope for my fitness level yet. Hey if I'm not fit, then there will just be people laughing at me when I can't dance to 250bpm HH :)

It depends alot on your particular sport. As far as mines concerned it doesnt really work. I ride BMX,I guess its easier if i just say i ride freestyle, like in the X-gaymes(pun intended).Anyways one of the main goals with this type of thing is progession and expession and to be able to do that in a forefilling way you need to be dialled. Which means you have to be on your bike all the time. Which means you need energy to ride and focus all the time and when you go out and party regularly you just dont. You allways seem to be playing catch up, never really gettin' anywhere. This has alot to do with the fact that bmx is very skills orientated but anyways just my point of view.

yeah, a lotof the people in this thread have said it hasnt affected them in a keeping fit kinda way... personally i was talking about being a competitive athlete dabbling in the scene.
i see *keeping fit and *competitive athlete as two COMPLETELY different things...
to b a competiotive athlete its simply not enough rto just do the required amount of fitness etc... it takes a lot of mental preparation and physical. its easy enough to go to the gym evbery day, to keep fit etc, but when aiming towards a goal in your sport, at a good level, i definately cant see this scene and the sports mixing, whatever that sport may be.
Sure, going out every now and then is alright, but not with taking drugs, not really even drinking much, depending on how serious you are. I know people from my sport, and others, so mentally focused, it made me realise i never had what it took mentally to get where i wanted. Physically yes, but to get to that high level in sport, u have to be so mentally focused and freakish, so the mixing of drugs/parties and sport wont mix.
Babble :)

yeah taliana is right. competitive sport is not about maintaining reasonable fitness. it's about keeping that sharp competitive edge and desire. i think parties and drugs blunt that edge considerably.
PS and those people who saw me at teriyaki last night... no, that wasn't good for my training ;) thankyou.

Depends on the sport and the level of competition. I don't think it's possible to compete effectively at an elite/near-elite level of a time consuming sport as well as go out several nights a week. Especially once you factor in work and study.
I've never met anyone who's been able to do both and still remain competitive.

My exercise my entire life has always been dancing. Ballet when I was a kid, tap dancing, and nightclubs since I was 18. So in order to keep fit I *have* to go out at least twice a week ;)