• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Raving-What does it Mean to you? Part 2 (or "proof you'll all be jaded eventually")

Pleonastic

Bluelighter
Raving-What does it Mean to you? Part 2 (or "proof you'll all be jaded eventually")

OK, finally, I've come across evidence that there's a good chance most of you will end up jaded, no matter how plurry you think you feel now. :D
Take Exhibit A: This Thread from the Aus Social Archive which was started on the 5th April 2001.
Have a look at the people that responded to the question "Raving - What does it mean to you?" and then think about what you think they'd all say if you asked them the same question now. Notice how most of the grumpy jaded bastards were total plur fairies only a year ago (including me).
So my point is, it only took us a year. To all those that still believe the stuff in that thread, what we have become is what you have to look forward to!!! In a years time you'll be saying fuck plur with the best of them and probably boycotting Two Tribes 2003... ;)
So, in order to make this thread a time capsule that can be dug up in another year, lets answer the question again: Raving - What does it mean to you? :)

I enjoy the people, the atmosphere, and the tunes. Oh yeah, and the drugs, can't forget the drugs...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TWO TRIBES 2002!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F...

What raving means to me, or what the raving scene means to me? Coz like, it tends to vary from party to party. I'm a huge fan of bush doofs and can't really see myself becoming jaded about (towards? what's the word?) those.. but I also think that's probably because they tend not to feel so much like a rave, per se - more like a bunch of people I adore going camping together and listening to great music.
Parties like Gatecrasher and Two Tribes.. to me, they have started to mean "watch your friends get really fucked up and look after them instead of seeing awesome acts", which is incredibly sad and makes me want to steer clear of them. Sure, the music is still fucking excellent and it's great to go and have a really good doof all night, but feeling dirty and stinky and being in a venue with thousands of scattered fuckwits in the mornings doesn't really do it for me.
Gotta say also, these are things I've tended to notice since I stopped doing any drugs (some 4 months ago). There are loads of crazy conclusions I could draw from that (raving is only fun if you're fucked, people need drugs to have a good time, yada yada), but mostly I think I was just scared into escaping the bigger parties. Or something.
I'm incoherent because I haven't had enough sleep.
It's not going to take me a whole year to become jaded.
Further to what I just said, because of a conversation between two bluelighters on IRC just now, I'd like to share the following. And I'll remove the names blah blah blah.
Bluelighter #1 and i'm going .. straight!
Bluelighter #2 sure..
Bluelighter #1 serious.. i don't have enuff cash
Bluelighter #2 haha then why are you going?
That's why I'm beginning to hate raving.
[ 10 March 2002: Message edited by: anna! ]

raving is expression to me, enjoying the music i like with a group of people who enjoy it too.
raving is a secret world that comes out at night, its a place of free expression, where anybody can go and wear what they like and fit in.
raving is only experienced by those who dare and can deal with what people think of them because of it.
raving is friendship and expression of feeling. the drugs just enhance the whole experience.
ive never been raving straight.
raving is also in my opinon snobs, bastards, posers, tene boppers and try hards, all they need to do is be their selves to fit in
funki ( keep it real )

What does raving mean to me? Nothing. I'm not a raver ;)
Umm.. well.. I think jadism comes from being a whinging bitch! :) Sorry.. but I still love going out and partying just as much as I did the day I started and that was nigh on 6 years ago!
This is why I think so.. I go for the music, I'm passionate about alot of it in fact, enough to hold the goal of one day making a living out of it. I love the drugs too :) . They're a massive part of it .. always. They've always made a fun night into an unfuckingbelievable one :) I've abused 'em, but I've also figured out when to cut back and learnt the art of sober partying. I still go pretty fucken hard, but I have hardly any tolerance to anything and I hardly ever have difficult comedowns. I'm pickier about the types of things I go to, I never go if I'm not going to enjoy the music. I go out to 'something' every weekend, but I don't party hard all the time. I think I've found my balance.
I think being jaded is about saturation, overkill... I dunno. Not every one is jaded. It such a general term as well.. there are certain things i might not like about the 'scene' - but generally, I'm still having a fuckload of fun and i'm still young enough to enjoy it :) :)
ps. damn you and your subtley tongue in cheek threads pleo.
[ 10 March 2002: Message edited by: mona ]

For me, raving is about creating and being part of an environment that is completely different from my usual social activities. I'm not a clubber as a general rule, so the music, clothing, company and substances all go into making up a world that I can take the occasional trip into, and come back with some happy stories. Raving for me is like a holiday house up the coast that you visit a few times a year. Always good to see, great to be there, happy to get back to the rest of your life refreshed from a change of pace.
By the way, Two Tribes was it for me until Utopia @ Superdome in July (August?). It's about time my serotonin got the chance to build back up, and for me to get a little hungry for a good dance.

I don't rave - I go out.
I've come to the conclusion that it's my lifestyle. I'm not one to go overboard and get all dressed up for the occasion - I usually go out in what I was wearing during the day (unless I want to pick up ;) ) Therefore, I consider that I am part of a whole sub-culture, rather than just a "weekender". It would be nice to dedicate 100% of my time to it, but unfortunately I have "normal" things to achieve... :(
For me, it is mainly the music. I usually only go to events where I'm going to hear music that pushes my buttons.
And on this whole thing of "you don't need drugs to have a good time." Bullshit - I do. I'm not a highly energetic person - I never have been. I need something to give me a kick in order to enjoy the night. I hate it when people tell I don't need drugs to have a good time. Sorry, but I do...
I must admit, I am jaded about some things. But you have to take the good with the bad, and accept that things are not the way they once were. Then, when you've finished having a sook, you will find your niche, stick to it, and have fun :)
MHO! Dan :)

When i started, i swore that u would never see me caught dead with glowsticks. If u saw me last night @ two tribes, u would have noticed the 2 glowsticks in my hair...
I love going raving and seeing all different walks of life; being the heels, cokeheads, fucked up 14 yo's, genuine beautiful people and the too cool crowd... i don't label or criticise, i accept everyone for who they are.
I understand that some people really do need to have drugs to have fun. I'm just glad that i'm not one of them.
I'm not as social as i used to be. Usually can't be fucked talking to pp. (so that's the main way that i've become jaded)
i like getting 'kandied up'. acting like a 4 yo, excited when my necklace glows!
But the music is what does it for me now, and solely that (ok, maybe lasers still impress!)
the best part of raving is when ur going off to awesome music and all those strangers around u feel the same vibe. u are all 1 collective raving energy nucleus! Cheers to the bunch of pp that were part of this at the front of cream @TT.
i love raving! :D

Horsey's still there to pick up drug-fucked 14-year-olds... but aren't we all?
BigTrancer ;)

Ive been going for 5 years to a rave and always find ways of keeping it interesting and fun!! well it helps when it keeps me from becoming a jaded dickhead. if your going to sit around and complain all nite THEN WHY THE FUCK DID U COME??

about a month ago i went to my first "rave" (as opposed to club or event) in a year - happy snax 6. I had the MADDEST time! It made me realise:
I go to raves for the people, both my wonderfullest favouritest friends and those cool people (usually BLers ;) ) you always meet. I love pilling, and I love spending most of the night in the chill-out area doing "plurry" things like giving fat hugs and having d&m's with my best buds. I always take drugs (pills) and most of my friends do, but not because I need to to have fun -- because I love pills and they make a rave an absolutely brilliant/fantastic/amazing night that I look forward to and remember for ages.
Now, you see, clubs are a whole different kettle of fish. I go to clubs for the music, because it tends to be just about the phattest and bestest around. I love clubbing, but it's never the same as gong to a rave because I never feel like i can truly be myself (and thus enjoy myself). That said, I always have an awesome time at more "ravey" clubs like Subbies...
So anyway, Mr Pleonastic, I'm not jaded, even though i don't like the (rave) music as much these days and i've been raving for over 2 years (does that put me in the masters' division???). For me raving is just an opportunity to spend time with my friends, and hopefully that's something i won't get tired of or jaded about.
Or maybe I'm just young and naive... :)
AJ
[ 11 March 2002: Message edited by: **AJ** ]

On 5th April 2001 in the last post i said 'It's fun'
And it is still fun now.
I don't think i would have gotten all that much more jaded since April last year. These days i don't really feel like an active participant in the rave scene, rather i feel like i am there as an observer. Bur thats cool with me. I still have fun, still have a dance, still hang with my friends, still meet some great new people :)
Perhaps i've just progressed to the next stage of raving. I still have fun but don't go into it with my eyes closed thinking that raves are all about plur (not that i ever did) and how unreal xtc is. I realise that there are plenty of flaws in the scene but i can now look past them and focus on the positive aspects and still have fun :)

me in old thread...
...i rave because there is no better feeling than looking across a dancefloor at some dude grinning his head off, and just smiling at each other, both thinking 'we're in the same place, and its awessssssssssssome' there is no better feeling than 5,000 people all throwing their arms in the air when the beat drops in the prophet..
kinda reminds me of tiesto on sunday night...hang on, that DID happen on sunday night ;)
so i spose i haven't changed.
people dont get jaded, people just get over it and like to talk about the 'oldskool' to fill in the time when they once went to parties...
;) :D

Well Pleo, I submit that you never really got that much out of it anyway. Now you've given up, you're bitter. Stop trying to ruin it for others.
In the early hours of Monday morning just gone I put my arms in the air with 5000 other people, one of those 5000 was perhaps the best friend I've ever had.
Why don't you read his post. It's two above mine.
[ 12 March 2002: Message edited by: Prometheus ]

LOL! Fuck off Prom... ;)
And to all those that don't realise that this is a totally tongue in cheek thread, go get your sarcasm detectors fixed... :D

Raving is to me nothing more than the combination of going out with a bunch of mates and aquaintances and getting completely drugfucked to hopefully quality tunes.
Take out any of that triad and it doesn't work for me.
Call me sad or whatever you want, but at least I'm being honest.
-plaz out-

I've been down jaded lane...
Some might say i started there...
I didn't get a t-shirt tho and i'm pissed off!!
But there's something to say about that phenomenon that some of you like to call "the vibe" :)
As i stood on the dancefloor at TwoTribes and watched every hand in sight fly in the air at the request of MC Rage, followed by every foot fly out with the follwing beat from Goldie, i rememberd why i party.
When Nubreed play, Sunny in the morning and the recent kinetik all also make me remember.
It cant just be the music or just the vibe... it's gota be both at once for me. It's a tough balance but when it comes together... i dont care if u do call me a raver! :)
Maybe i'm just doing things in reverse...
*goes to price up visers* ;)