Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Fire twirling - how did you learn?

BigfootDragon

Bluelighter
hello firetwirlers
smile.gif

i'm wondering a few things... firstly, how many of you out there actually do firetwirling? and secondly, how did you learn?
it looks pretty cool, and i wouldn't mind giving it a go. but do you just buy the sticks (poi i think they're called?) and start practicing? if not, how do you learn? i like the looks of the two shorter sticks, they look like fun
smile.gif

any comments? thanks
smile.gif

BigfootDragon.

ok well i myself am not a firetwirler, but about 4 months ago my exflatmate decided it would be cool to have one after seeing one at a party. He bought one for about about $60 i think it was, which came in a big pipe type case. I remember his first attempt at using it where he went across to the park across from our apartment and singged his leg hair and later his shorts (missing his jewels by centimeters hehe) definitely was a good laugh though :p
but yeah after a few goes he could do it pretty good though it used to freak me out a bit because every so often he would slip and drop it or bang it into himself.
I never tried it myself because I'm just a 'little girl' hehe but yeah you will probably have heaps of fun with it.
Nicole
------------------
'just wait until this song is finished then i'll go :)'

Well, I'm gonna learn this year at uni.. i guess you could come along.. 'cept i go to uni in Bathurst..

step 1: pick up a stick
step 2: set it on fire
step 3: spin it around in the air
step 4: rund to the nearest body of water and extinguish the flames that are rapidly consuming your flesh.
smile.gif

happy fire twirling
smile.gif

------------------
"DJs are like shamans, forging musical paths to other realms....."

Ok here's how the twirling thing goes.
First let me say I am not a master but i do twirl single and double staffs and am currently learning Poi.
1) Sticks are either bought or self made by buying wicks (burning bits) and using your own staff. It is always better to buy a stick because they are usually weighted evenly. The place to go is "Juggle Art" in Brunswick st Fitzroy. Look them up in yellow pages or citysearch. They also have Firewater to light up with. Some people prefer to use kero because it is cheaper but firewater is the way to go because it lasts longer, has no odour and does not cause cancer as some other fuels go.
2) Next how to do it. Get someone to teach you. There are classes running around melbourne every couple of weeks. Circus Oz does them for cheap rates or else go where other twirlers convene and get them to show you the way to do it.
Evere 1st and 3rd Friday night of each month people get together at:
Edinburgh Gardens, in North Fitzroy,
(St Georges rd. Side near rotunda) B.Y.O. toys and fuel.
Also if you are near the Grassy Knoll Elwood - (the hill with the tower facing the beach) a few twirler get together on sunday nights at least once or twice and month and play and practice.
3) Lastly pls dont light up till you are confident or you might burn yourself and get put off. Its great fun especially with other people.
Ok I have finished my ranting - if you want more info on gatherings or people who teach it send me an email on [email protected]
Hope you enjoy yourself

I started learning fire twirling a couple of months ago so I'm not very good yet, but I thought I would share a couple of things that I have learnt so far. It's great fun but dont go lighting up before you are comfortable with the moves otherwise you will burn yourself and end up being scared of your stick.
To get started check out http://www.juggling.co.nz/ for some pointers. You can buy sticks from Glebe market in Sydney, there is usually a juggling stall there. Once you got your stick go really slow with each move until you've got it right, then speed it up if you want, speed is not everything you know.
The other thing is to let the stick come alive, dont force it to do what you want but just guide it gently. If you force it, it will bite back at you.
I love that woosh woosh woosh sound! It was worth the wait.
------------------
"Curiouser and curiouser!"

Yay! Bigfootdragon! Now you're really gonna start loving life.
I'm a self confessed pyromaniac. I've been doing fire poi for about 7 months now - I'm completely addicted.
biggrin.gif

As Arc said the home of poi web site www.juggling.co.nz is a great place to start. They have lessons with text and video for both staff and poi. You really can't go wrong. They also have a bulletin board just like bluelight. Well not just like bluelight - but it's an ultimate bulletin board anyway!
SAFETY is extremely important.
DO NOT light up until you are reasonably confident that you will not hit yourself. I didn't start doing fire until a couple of months after I started learning.
DO read (or talk to other fire twirlers) about the various fuels you can use. All fuels can be dangerous. Some are more dangerous than others.
NEVER use petrol.
WATCH other fire dancers. This will help you to conceptualise what is possible.
PRACTICE every day. Even if it's only for 5 minutes. It really makes a difference.
COME to Camperdown Park in Newtown on Wednesday night at about 7-30. About 5 of us get together to practice each week. I'll introduce you to a few people and teach you some poi moves if you're keen.
Just get out there and do it. It doesn't matter if you haven't got the right gear straight away.
You can make a set of practice poi with a pair of opaque tights (get Temptress to explain
wink.gif
) and a pair of socks rolled up into a ball. Just cut the tights in half (ie. cut the legs apart) and stuff the socks into the toe. Hey presto!
You can practice staff moves with a broomstick or a shower curtin rod.
There are some great web sites that show you how to make your own gear. I haven't got the url's with me at the moment (bookmarked at home). I'll post em up for you later.
Good luck BFD.
Burn brightly
Finn
smile.gif

------------------
"I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes, although the rhythm does have a certain hypnotic effect."
Brains, International Rescue Engineer, The Thunderbirds.

I started firetwirling/breathing about 5 years ago (among other things), and havent stopped since!
How does one go about learning such things?
well, if you are like me, you would have attended a noosa firenight while extremely smashed and just picked it up from there...
But most people just make a firestick on their own, buy one, or use someones at a doof. (doofs are GREAT places to meet excellent fire twirlers and also learn yourself with some brilliant music)
but seriously...if you MUST learn to firetwirl in darkness, please please please get yourself some glowsticks to attach to the ends of your firestick! its alot easier to learn in light, as you can judge your throws and spins alot better as you learn.
use firewater, it burns better, longer, doesnt smell, and tastes better! (very important for if you wish to move onto...)
Firebreathing is something that is better off being taught to you than just practicing in your backyard, it really can backfire!
and so on and so on and so on...
after you have mastered the firestick...you can master 2 of them...and then you can move onto other such wonderful things as firechains (extra trippy with glowsticks at a rave/doof), fire devil sticks, clubs...
In brisbane they regularly hold firenights down at orleigh park in hill end (dont know if they still do tho) but im trying to get some going up at highgate hill park with an amazing city lights setting...anyone interested??
peace love and fire
Andromeda
smile.gif

------------------
***This starship breaks for black holes and temporal disunities.***

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!
you've all been so helpful
smile.gif
i've checked out a few sites and have been reading up. i've got this staff - that isn't a firestick, but its something - and i've been practicing a few basic moves to get started.
i'll have to make a trek up to Glebe market to get one (or two smaller ones). does anyone know how much they cost?
and would it be easier to start with a staff and move onto two small sticks or just start with what i want to learn?
thanks again!
smile.gif

BigfootDragon

BFD,
Woohoo! You're doing it! YAY!!!
If you don't want to wait until you make the trek to Glebe markets....
Check whether the Gong has any juggling shops (try yellow pages online). Juggling shops often stick fire gear.
There is a juggling shop at Coogee somewhere. Not sure where exactly, I've just heard that it's good.
There is a guy at the Rocks markets in Sydney each weekend who sells fire gear - staff, pois, fuel etc.
Don't forget you can also make your own gear. It's really not that hard.
Try the Incendium, home of poi and fire gear sites for clear step by step instructions.
Your local hardware store will soon be your favourite place to hang out!!
Finn
pmikkogirl-parapara.gif

------------------
"I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes, although the rhythm does have a certain hypnotic effect."
Brains, International Rescue Engineer, The Thunderbirds.

Hey BFD,
Both Arc and Dangermouse are coming to play with us on Wednesday night. You'd better come too. It can be an official bluelight meetup!
See you there?
7-30pm Wednesday
Burn baby burn!
smile.gif

Andromeda: if you are interested (or anyone else in Brisbane), they have a Moon-festival every few months down at the Sandgate beach. There is usually 10-20 fire twirlers etc.
Its pretty fun. The next one is tomorrow (9-2-01)
if you want more info, drop me a line
[email protected]
Maxi
btw: im not a twirler (yet) a friend is.

NO BFD! Your NOT borrowing my tights! Hehe..you got your own....
wink.gif

Gong firetwirling sounds like the shit...I've had a go at doof's..real fun. Haven't had the pleasure of smelling burning flesh yet....yet...
Been thinking about for ages...BFD your my incentive to get going..practice together???? Uni Clubs and Societies day is coming up...we can join then.
(You may want to tie your hair up though! hehe gotta love that smell.....*sniff* ahhhhh!)
wink.gif
Oh yeah, there's a knack to the staff (all I've tried) in the way you use your fingers....sort of like that trick you do with pens..like on Goldeneye - the movie.
Cheers guys....happy twirling.
------------------
Submit yourself to the aural temptations of the world - seduce or be seduced.
Temptress

I wanna watch all of you burn in hell, well actauly just burn at any location really.