Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

who were you before electronica?

Barney Gumnut

Bluelighter
Thought I'd dig up this old chestnut again 'cos it's fun to see where ya all came from.
Suburban bogan? Urban hipster? Country bumpkin? Grunge nasty?.. and what brought you to this point?
I was a suburban bogan,come grunge head, come bush doof fan. I reckon if you keep an open mind you'll truly find a calling and the doof was it. I see similarities between thrash/metal and psy trance. It's a common progression that many of my mates have been through with drum beats, riffs etc. To this day my favourite album is a compilation called Guitar Trax from S.U.N Project.
Rock'n'Roll doof forever
smile.gif

With interest & smiles
Barney
------------------
I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. Should I return before I get back, tell me to wait.

Well my musical interests started when I was a Sk8r. Included your usual thrash, grung, heavy metal etc. Went through a big U2/INXS phase but I have since grown out of that. Got to Uni and went flat stick into electronic musik for two years before I ended up in hospital (Long story and if you ever meet me I'll tell ya). The next five years I walked the musical wilderness not really finding any styles that really got me going. Then out of the blue electronic was around me again and as they say the rest is history.
P.S Not going to end up in hospital this time though. Safe Raving!
------------------
To the one you feel in the metronome of your mind.
Does it offend you that our rhythm looks strange.
Or causes your thinking to be re arranged.
Could it be that you would understand this beat to which we dance
more clearly had you been given a chance
So as you struggle to find the feel with your feet
Ask yourself can you dance to my beat!
[This message has been edited by Airwalk (edited 22 May 2001).]

Meh... Those old halcyon days.
Musically, hip-hop beatz was the only thing I listened to. Think KRS-1, Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, De-la Soul, The Roots, Cypress Hill, Soul Assasins & the Wiseguys... Yeah. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about those early high school years.
I think techno still shares alot of the raw bass beat that defines hip-hop, they have in many ways a common origin. Still got to love that sick scratching & beat juggling turntablist action... Yeaaah.
------------------
The woods are dark and deep, and you have miles to go before you sleep...

So what you're saying is there is music out there thats isn't electronic???
wink.gif

Before all this my passion in music was the guitar so the music I enjoyed relfected this. Most music I would listen to had a certain guitar based edge and uniqueness. My main thang was the Smashing Pumpkins, Jeff Buckley followed by Hendrix, Chillipeppers, Nirvana(when I was little and easily influenced), Beatles. But mainly the Pumpkins, I'd have to say that was the last guitar/bass/drums music I was listening to before I saw the light.
Oh yeah who else was all puritanical and "that shit isn't music, it's just some dude at a computer hitting keys."
------------------
IN TONE: IN TUNE: IN TOUCH
[This message has been edited by Prometheus (edited 22 May 2001).]

Before I made the transition to electronica I was listening to Beck, Chilipeppers, White Zombie, Sensor (It's Chaos would like to know I have that album), U2, Faith No More and Mr Bungle plus more that I cant think of right now. Still do listen to other music sometimes.

I've always just liked music that is hard, punchy and will pump me up when I listen to it.
I used to be a bit of a bogan and listened to Metallica, Sepultura, Biohazard, and many other hardass bands. I'll still thow on an album every now and then to pump me up for a surf, skate, snowboard, whateve!
Having a taste in these thrashy bands is kinda reflected in the electronic styles I like, eg, NRG, hardhouse, hardcore etc. I still can't really listen to trance - it's just too slow and does nothing for me - there's no way I'd go and fork out $65 to go to a trance rave, when I can spend $15 and head into cage, HK, BassStation, whatever and ROCK IT!!
smile.gif

I like deep house tho - which is kinda contradictory to what I've just said!?!
------------------
I think of my life as a series of sketches; each one funnier than the last

Guess what?
I WAS NO ONE
I was a music virgin when I was introduced into Electronica, and have been loyal ever since!!!!

I was a "hell" surfer dude. I used to drive a Kingswood, have long hair, go on surf trips down the coast and get in drunken fights at places like the lookout (a famous surfer hangout in perth).
Worst part was that just before I started going to raves I bought a base guitar. I think I used it about four times before I ditched it for a set of decks. It still sits in the corner of my room begging to be used. I feel sorry for the thing and promise myself that one day I'll incorporate it into making electronic music.
I still enjoy a good surf though.

I was a very influencial 14 year old who listened mainly to Chilipeppers, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Pumpkins, soundgarden, everclear..... blahblahblah... the list went on BUT I am ashamed to admit I was one of the biggest silverchair groupies u would have met.... *hides head in shame* i was even convinced I was going to marry Ben the drummer *sinks even lower*.
frown.gif

BUT in Yr 10 - i was shown the lovely light to electronic music and havent turned back - however i still do occationally listen to Garbage, Powderfinger and GooGoo Dolls - i just quite like them
------------------
".....and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon............"

oh dear... the pre electronic days... i shudder to recall... i was 18 and every friday night i was out at the retro night at one of the dodgy night clubs in canberra... that's right i was shaking my thang to the way hip and cool late 70's early 80's music... i am ashamed to say that i still know all the words to Echo Beach...
i am very glad that i found the "light," but i do still listen to heaps of other stuff, like RHCP, offspring, the whitlams, powderfinger, and one of my favs still... radiohead... all in all i like music...
------------------
Drugs are not the answer... Drugs? is the question... Yes is the answer.

I dont think I've really had pre-electronic days.. pretty much from the age of 11 I've been listening to some sort of electronica... which is really quite plausable given my age... mind you I was fairly into classical, jazz and blues at the time (and still am.. weird fking music tastes
wink.gif
)...
I was fairly into and still can take a little of ska/punk/swing and did do a fair bit of listening to NOFX and the like....
Although these tastes have soured a little I still like a good skank
smile.gif

wat a bizzare coincidence...was just reminiscing (sp?) about my first forays into the beatiful world of music :p
well...listened to heaps of metal (metallica! slayer! the occasional morbid angel, obituary, napalm death etc etc) and grunge (pearl jam, nirvana, alice in chains etc etc) basically anything with guitars, guitars and guitars :p
throw in nin and godflesh, that's about what i listened to for a few years.
then came orbital...then my very first cd..northern exposures. that was the start of a long road that's still stretching into the horizon now....and i have loved every beat of it.
my 0.02 cents
smile.gif

------------------
Repetition is the key to success. Repetition is the key to success.

I never really understood the popular music that was fash when I was young so I listened to Classic FM until I was in year 9 and went to boarding school where I got a taste for the Violent Femmes. It was then onto Primus and metal and NIN which was the beginning of my love afair with Industrial.
I like some really black metal, also black ambient, black noise and black folk. I get into some gabba and hardcore, I do love psy trance even if it does all sound very similar. Industrial remixed into psy trance is pretty spesh. Mostly tho Industrial has won my heart. Although lately as I have softened up in my old age I have been getting into some really cheezy trance... it's sort of like easy listening electronica.
wink.gif

I will admit to owning Kenny Rodgers greatest hits....two words..
"The gambler"

My musical journey started a long time ago when Guns N' Roses released Appetite For Destruction. I was in year 7 and I knew every word to every song.
From the Hard Rock days I moved to more Metal/Thrash type stuff like Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, and Testament.
Next came the foray into Death Metal with Morbid Angel, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse etc.
From there I went to Black Metal and Mayhem, Emperor, Immortal, Dark Throne, and Burzum.
It was at this stage that techno came into my life. Firstly I was into Gabba and Hardcore because it was so similar to Metal.
Then I went to more trancey type of stuff which didn't last for too long because trance is just too boring.
My first real passion in techno was acid with all the Heckman type stuff, but then eventually my tastes in acid turned to Smitten and the Liberator brothers.
Now days I'm sort of over acid and I'm more into just good hard bangin techno like Marco Carola, Gaetek, Jamie Bizzmire, Ben Long, Ben Sims, Advent, Adam Beyer, Ade Fenton, etc.
So that's my story. Oh and by the way I still listen to Metal just not as much, and my favourite band is the Deftones.

my love electronica/elctronic experimental music started in about 1982 when was i first heard kraftwork and yello....... it just grew from there.... i've never really listenned to anything else. if i had a million bucks for everytime someone said "but its not really music"
and the friends i've converted over the years whom used to say"it all sounds the same"........ that shit shits me, there is not much out there that is more complex in structure, there's nothing out there that offers anywhere near the variety of musical texture and the PC/Workstation or sampler must be one of the only "new" musical instruments in the last 500yrs.
the guitar is dead
long live electronica

i used to like jean michelle jarre when i was 8, also queen, beetles (ack, my parents made me), gunners a few years later (get in the ring mother fucker, yeah) and then i dunno really. I had a short stint with cheese, and underage metro, then trance. Especially trance from fact 1 (carl cox). That whole fucking album is the best one i own, damnit where'd i put it. Now i'll listen to just about anything (electronic or not) that is influential, innovative and not cheesy.

barney your probably right bout the guitar.... i remember buying some funny old cd called 'drosophilia', bit of guitar there and not bad either.
i suppose too when the infected mushroom serves it up you get a dose of the guitars too, oh and green ant( anyone in for that this w'kend( at prince!) dont mind flying rhino, matsuri......
so as you might guess i'm eating a big word sandwich with my mrning tea.
the guitar's not really dead, coz all these talented musicians/ producers are sampling it.
and finally..... ames and dames.....
i got you pegged, took a minute though!