Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Geographicaly different dancing styles - Part 2

Tarsarlan

Bluelighter
Here's the old thread: http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=29&t=000098
Well I recently got to sample Sydney's dancing first hand, and honestly, get into it more guys!
Some bluelighters were getting right into it (FruitTingles and Moocho more than anyone, you two were going mental! Nice work :) ), but most sydney people kinda just bopped away, just that boring 'I don't really have much room so I'm not gonna try too hard' kinda dance, 'cept there was plenty of room at Gatecrasher, so no excuses!
Didn't see too many people shuffling, but near the end (during Ben Korbel's set ... mmmmm) I found someone from melbourne with some talc! Mmmmm talc mmmm...

Well, I dont know about my dancing being geographically specific... I think it'd be regarded as bizarre wherever I went :)

Oh no - maybe I shouldn't even say this out aloud but 2 nights ago i was told by someone that I was the perfect example of a Sydney dancer. Noooo from the sounds of what everyone has been saying in the previous thread. But i do have my excuse - it was 1 January and my legs were hating me, as they do sometimes.

I reckon if we got every single raver in the country in a massive warehouse for a party, they'd be doing the shuffle in no time :)
It's not that it's a particularly hard thing to do, its just that it is completely foreign to every city in Australia except Melbourne and well... almost everyone here does it. Sure people have their own little variations, but it basically looks the same every where you go.
I think this quote explains the point I'm trying to make best;
"Dance moves spread through the crowd like superfast viruses" Simon ReynoldsGeneration Ecstasy
So dancing styles simply occur because of what you've been exposed to, what you're actually capable of doing and the kind of music you're dancing to... some people 'get into it' inside their heads, some express it through the way they move... but almost EVERYONE picks up they way they dance while they're on the dancefloor.
Saying all that - i think the shuffle is the best thing since sliced bread :) , it's just so much damn fun, I get so much enjoyment out of it .. and that's the most important thing.
Now to end this epic reply on a lovely big confidence boosting ego stroke, I will leave you all with this quote.. from a Melbournite to an ex-Sydneysider, Mr Horse said this to me during the most amazing set I've ever heard (Digweed - Welcome)
Mona, you were born to do the Melbourne Shuffle
To which of course I squealed and jumped up and down repeatedly...God love ya Horsey, yer such a charmer ;) and you know I lurve the way you dance... especially in your bedroom fucked up on K hehehee

brisbane represent,by the sounds of it we kinda have it all over you southerners when it comes to the dancefloor *throws down the challenge to any 'cockroaches',or anyone else for that matter*.BTW yes i know its art and there is no 'best' but hey the challenge is there....

cool, this is turning into a good read.
as there is absolutely shit all on TV
anyone got ne working links to pics of ppl doin the 'shuffle'? after reading couple of pages i think im a subconscious shufflers too!
i swear i didnt know i was shuffling!
;)

Yeah,
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO
Somebody's gotta put up some video. I wanna see the shuffle (and the rest).
Bluelight needs a dance styles / moves archive. While everyone should develop their own style I'm sure it would do heaps to raise the overall standards round here (we'll mine anyways).

just finished reading the original thread,by the way it's kinda biased,there are alot more of you melbournites than us brisbane people to put a shout out for your scene.the thing is i really dont think you guys have seen brisbane style at its finest.i can do the "melbourne shuffle"and while there is some merryment to be had,serouisly guys,it aint a thang (please do not take offense ill admit i probably havent seen the melbourne shuffle at its best either)its just to limiting you can only really do it to the beat and dancing to the melodies is just to fun,i like to throw it in every now and then,and its a treat when dooms night is spinning but theres not enough variety and expression it seems just kinda same same.allso the name of the style is suposedly called boston stomp they are meant to have a similar style over there to and one other place in the UK (definately not london)though the way things are going its kinda evolved well past what you could simply be call 'stomp'.thats one other really cool thing about the brisbane scene,the fact that its kinda small and not as crowded is to our advantage(though over the past 18 months i have noticed a distinct downfall in dance floor etiquete)we have a really kinda close nit comunity of dancing enthuists that all feed of each other and the progressoin is really fast.anyways thats just my 2 cents i think there's one thing we can all agree on i mean if youve seen better living through chemistry,we (australia)evidently kick old uncle sams colective arse.
riddler out
p.s SupaspeeD mail or add me i'd say i know you anyway i probably just dont know it but we should meet up once.
p.p.s Tarsarlan and bassjunky when me and my pose (rapid foot theory) get our shit together well send you a video if youre interested,then youll really get to taste what brisbane has to offer.
[ 04 January 2002: Message edited by: tHeRiDdLeR ]

Well at Welcome I saw a random who just happened to be from Brisbane dance, and well his movements were really good!! If that's any sort of representation of how Brisbane people dance then I like it!! :)
However I still think Melb shuffle rocks!! ;)

I think the event has got a hell of lot to do with the way people dance and seeing people dance at one event and making an assumption of the quality of dancing in that state from it can be a mistake.
Like here in Brissie people dance way different at say Family than they do at System. From reading the thread Family seems to be more of a Sydney style of event while System seems to be more of a Melbourne sort of thing. The impression I get is that Sydney has a stronger house scene while Melbourne has more of a hard edge and this shapes the dance styles in those states. Brisneyland's definitely a hard house town and System and the A-Team events have done a lot to shape the style up here.
But hey all you guys who actually have some idea on how to move - get some video up so the rest of us can see it. Not to find out 'which state is the best' but just to share the different styles etc. I think most people would agree that watching someone who can really move well is heaps cool in its own right.

I've started dancing my way around Canada and the United States and i've seen a LOT of different dancing styles.. Most people over here dance liquid, or 'pop'n lock'.. About 90% of people who dance liquid, or pop'n lock do it SO badly, but then you get the occasional MASTER at it and it's just amazing to watch... But, I have to say that so far, the Melbourne Shuffle still rocks my world.. BUT, as it was said before, EVERYONE in Melbourne shuffles, and it gets OLD.. Add some new shit, try 720 jump spins, freestyle, invent u'r own signature moves.. Try and MAKE people stare at you with open mouths.. While i'm away, i'm trying to pick up ALL the good bits'n pieces of the different Canadian & American dancing styles & then when I come home, i'm goin' to incorporate it into the 'ol Melbourne Shuffle..
OH, and for those who haven't seen a clip of a buddy of mine over here in the States, check out this link.. http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/bolix/dustin2.wmv (for some reason, this link will only work when it's cut & pasted, or typed into the URL bar, don't click on it.. Oh, and it's pretty big- 8mb I think, but download it, watch it, and delete it 'coz it's as cool as shit, a REAL good example of poppin & lockin)

*waits for delight to return and teach him how to dance*
and MONA-
You were born to do the shuffle! :)

mmm...shuffle....
i'll have the camcorder out at a party soon and i'll take some video and put it up... just a matter of finding the shuffle master ;)
bit more on topic...yeah the shuffle rocks but yes it can get boring to watch when everyone does it. i shuffle. i don't give a fuck if its boring, i dont dance so people watch me, in fact i hate it when people do. i dance cos its fun.

Freaks me out that I've been going out so long and been so totally unaware of the whole 'Melbourne Shuffle' thing.
I absolutely love dancing and over a year ago when I first started getting into the scene I'd do the 10 hour all-night dance marathons at the one party. I consider my self totally incomplete unless I walk into a rave with at least half a kilo of powder (... talc :) .
Havent had the opportunity to see ppl from other states go at it apart from a very brief foray to Canberra (the ppl seemed a little... dunno... subdued by comparison) so any Melb BL'ers wanna pick a Sydney event and we all trip up to it? :)
Work this shit out the proper way I say.... next to an ear-bleedingly loud speaker.. Whos in? :)

Lets not all forget the hippy stomp! Its very difficult to shuffle when you're up the your ankles in mud....

LOL@ twigz - hehe, word dude, that is so true!! also you should try dry sand...... was at a beach doof and i had to go dance on the wet sand near the water coz i was digging this hole on the dancefloor from jumping all over the place!!! and it totally cained my legs. but personally i think mud rocks - who needs talcum powder when you've got MUD!!!
as for me - i tend to do this weird shuffle/bounce hybrid, but it REALLY depends on what sort of music i am dancing to. like if i'm dancing to psy i usually do all these weird wavey arm movements and get kinda stompy. also, i have really fukt knees from when i did highland dancing when i was younger which means i can't sustain the brissy bounce for any lengthy period of time, my knees just lock up.
oh well, coming to melbourne soon, y'all can judge for yourselves......
bk :)

There's so many different styles, and crossovers of styles that i've seen in my months of partying. I don't really dance that much, I hate to say. A lot of people rip into me on this one, I love the music, and I love the atmosphere and I love the drugs. That's what I go to events for. If I do dance then it's an added bonus.
Reallyt here's two main styles that I've seen, Sydney Stomp, and Melbourne Shuffle. Now one reminds me of a man caught on a jogging machine, and the other brings to mind someone with their shoelaces tied together. There's other styles that I've seen, the Bop, liquid, though they're somewhat rarer. If I do dance, the music I'm dancing to usually defines the style.
I'm not sure if there was a point to this.
Meh!
-plaz out-

......shuffle.....
i got filmed a few times at 'crasher in melb, i dont know who by, but i think i was doin the super-cala-fragilistic ronisize is rockin my world shuffle...
i wish i knew who filmed me....sobs..

Us sydneysiders (well my group of mates anyway) have developed a shuffle dance and have been mistaken for Melbournians a few times now- its a shuffle with some Elvis Presley like twists and hip gyrations!! PFFFFT- who needs talc when u have sweat all over the floor!