Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Draft of the new Social Guidelines - feedback please

Tarsarlan

Bluelighter
Ok enough slackness, here's the proposed revised guidelines, have a read and let us know what you think... A few of you have recently had a bit to say about the state of the forum and the board in general, so I want some feedback ok!
Guidelines for the Aus Bluelight Social Forum
These guidelines have been drawn up by your friendly moderators so that everyone understands what is and what is not acceptable as far as posting in the Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Social forum is concerned. Hopefully these guidelines will prevent this forum from getting out of control.
Firstly a diatribe written by abygale:
"A lot of people around here, while hiding behind the First Amendment, don't seem to really understand the meaning of "freedom of speech." They argue all the time that "I can say whatever I want -- I have freedom of speech!!" ... well, that's true... you may SPEAK whatever you want. But the person or people who provide an avenue for communication are in no way bound to allow you to say what you want in the space they paid for ... it would be like me insisting that Macy's has to include my opinion in their full-page ad in the Sunday Times, because I have first amendment rights. They paid for the ad -- I have no right to say anything at all in that space. That is the situation with Bluelight. It was created, is owned and operated by Jase and Skydancer, who have entrusted the mods and admins with the power to try to help them run it in the way Jase and skydancer intended. This is not a democracy. There is no right to free speech here. Forum guidelines must be obeyed, or you will lose the privilege of posting."
Here are the specific rules :
The first rule of Bluelight is, NO DEALING ON BLUELIGHT. The second rule of Bluelight is, NO DEALING ON BLUELIGHT ! You should know this, and if you don't, it should be obvious through common sense. Bluelight can be shut down if someone is seen trying to buy/sell illegal substances on the board. Bluelight doesn't need to be shut down in its entirety because someone tried to get/sell some pills. If you try to get/sell pills on the board, your thread will be deleted and you'll get a warning e-mail. If you continue, you will have your posting privileges suspended or revoked. On a similar note, keep any mention of your personal drug use / drug possession / future drug use to a minimum. We know many people take drugs, but don't forget that it is illegal! Don't make it easy for the police to cause you, and the rest of us trouble. Due to the sheer size of this bulletin board, the Australian Police and members of the media do keep on eye on it and have used information submitted by users to their advantage. On some occasions in the past, people have gotten themselves into trouble. This is a very serious matter. Please help to make sure it doesn't happen again, and if you notice anyone else being careless, politely inform them of the mistake they are making.
Threads must stay on topic.
When starting a new topic, please try to make sure the heading is relevant this just makes it a little easier for everyone. This topic, elaborated upon in the topic starter's first post, is generally what the subject of the discussion should be. Please make sure that what you add to the thread is valid, and please make an effort to keep the thread on topic. If there is something important you forgot to add, just click the edit button to add more to your post. And before you start your thread, use the search feature to make sure it hasn't been done before. Now when you wish to reply to a thread, do so in the thread you are replying to - don't start a new thread to reply to the existing one. If you do, your thread will be closed. It's the 'Reply' button you want when replying, not 'Post'!
This is not a chat site.
Though it is tempting to be freely social, chat cannot be accepted. This may be the social forum, but it doesn't mean you can post whatever you like. Too many people are making personal posts that only bear relevance to one or two other people. That's what email, ICQ and IRC are for. To a small extent chat will be tolerated, but its in the interests of all Bluelighters, particularly those who have just joined Bluelight that we leave chat out. This includes in-jokes and threads which revolve around only a select few people. They can be very funny and quite special to those involved, but try to keep them to a minimum and don't drag them out so that other's who don't understand feel alienated.
If you wish to chat, by all means you are welcome to join the IRC #bluelight channel on au.austnet.org
Keep posts simple.
It might look cool to you, but excessive html can be quite annoying to other people. Please try to keep html to a minimum. On a similar note, if you want to use colours, make sure they add to the post and are not simply an eyesore. If it gets over the top, sadly html will have to be banned in this forum. This goes for smilies too, don't over-use them.
What's acceptable in this forum?
Almost any sort of open topic that people can actually contribute to is acceptable in this forum, so here is what is not acceptable:
Any form of drug dealing
Topics that are clearly going to be found offensive
Topics below a certain level of maturity - an example of this is the "Mu( x)ke vs Piglet" thread.
No personal attacks on other bluelighters or flame wars are acceptable. Racism, sexism, homophobia, or any other form of discrimination won't be tolerated.
This forum is for everyone and everyone should be made to feel they are welcome. We do not expect you to be all serious and normal and boring and politically correct. We just expect you to be reasonable.
If a post or a thread is deemed unacceptable, it will be closed, but it will only be deleted if it involves dealing.
If you start a thread, and for whatever reason decide it is no longer needed, please do not delete it! You will also be deleting everyone else's responses, and while you have a right to delete your own words, you have no such right concerning others. Simply ask a moderator and they will close it if nescessary

-----------------
Written by Mr. Horse :
The internet has been around for quite a while now, and for years people have been hiding behind their computers. See, we can all be superheros, 8 year old girls or 50 year old men. We never have to deal with confrontation on the net, and if we choose, we don't even have to know what they look like.
We create our own community within our computer, living our lives through chat rooms or message board sites, such as Bluelight. While this can be great, there is an ugly side which cant be ignored; this is, lacking in basic human confrontation skills. We all may not be the most confident people in the world, but I would like to think we can deal with sticky situations in an appropriate manner.
Just think: before you post that email to your girlfriend/boyfriend after she has treated you badly (yes, i'm a culprit) take a minute to reflect. What am I saying in this email that cant be said face to face? SMS's are the same. Its very easy to get angry at someone without actually dealing with them. This is why flame wars become so intense and full on, a lot of people cant deal with confrontation properly, thus when they get infront of a computer, they are invincible to the world. This is something only individuals can deal with, but in the mean time, take the time to read over this and think before you post mmmkay? There is nothing we can do to change the anonymity of the internet and Bluelight, but there are a few things we can do to help avoid ugly situations such as the recent flame wars that have been happening.
Firstly, respect that not everyone will have the same opinion as you. Yes, you may not agree with it, but respect their opinion, just as you would hope yours would be.
Secondly, personal grudges are petty and juvinial ok? There is no need for mindless flaming just because you have a hatred for the person. Please keep all personal attacks to email and icq, or by whichever means you feel fit, just keep it off Bluelight.
Thirdly, dont EVER forget that the internet has no tone!! The difference between putting a little winking face after your comment can be the difference between a friendly poke and the beginnings of a flame war.
And lastly, please dont EVER take anything too seriously. Perhaps we have had a bad day (hey, it happens you know!!) and we let something slip we perhaps shouldnt, please dont get too defensive about it. Take it with a grain of salt.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this, and I hope you will consider what I have said. Please dont ever be afraid to email me and tell either myself, or any of the other moderators about any converns you may have regarding Bluelight. We are here to serve you dont forget.
-----------------
Please note that even though they're called "guidelines", these are "rules", so if you don't follow them, your thread will be closed.
BTW if you're new here, have a look at the "Welcome to Bluelight, Greenlighters!" thread and post your introduction there. We don't need the server space taken up with a lot of "Hi! I'm new!" threads.
If you have any questions, complaints, or suggestions, feel free to voice your thoughts to the Aus Social Moderators:
Tarsarlan: [email protected]
MikeySammy: [email protected]
Finn: [email protected]
Its Chaos: [email protected]
If you have any quarrel with the way any Moderator does their job, first take it up with them personally (via email or ICQ etc) and if you are unable to resolve the issue with them, take it up with another Mod or and Admin.
Special thanks to the main Social forum Moderators and Admins for their guidelines...
Any changes made are in italics...
[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 20 November 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 20 November 2001).]

what he said
smile.gif

Yeah it was all cool and sweet, nothing much that wasn't already obvious though..but yes i know we all get out of hand every now and then tarsy
wink.gif

i think these guidelines have been around for a while, its a matter of how much notice we give them, and how strictly they are enforced that gets to the message(in the guidelines) across.
[edit: and here's a bump for this thread... i've noticed it's rather appalling the number of response threads like this gets]
------------------
[a young boy puts a feather into his mouth -jeff noon] | [vurtopia]
[This message has been edited by vurtomatic (edited 19 November 2001).]

^^^^^^
I understand where you're coming from vurt but I think on the whole people just don't know what to say in reply to a topic such as this. The important thing is that everyone reads the guidlines and when they're posted they do get read by the vast majority even if that majority chooses not to reply or does so with an occasional *bump*.
I agree with the guidelines and quite like them, but i do think that a greater stance might need to be taken on the anti-discrimination side of things. Not that we've ever had any real problems in that regard in Aus Social but it is good to have such important issues canvassed in writing.
------------------
I am the king, you are my creation, I am the ruler of the TranceNation.

How about mods not editing other people's posts?
------------------
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Im sure if people did the right thing mods wouldn't have to edit peoples posts.
Yeah, sounds good to me.
*Sits next to his third person and gives the two thumbs up*

So essentially free speech is allowed until a mod deems it not appropriate?

haste: An amendment to that. No UNNECISARY editing of peoples posts, for exaple. The TOOL mod from the US that edits people's posts if they spell her/his name wrong.
Dont EVER go spelling it "********** " or she/he'll have ur balls!
wink.gif
wink.gif

otherwise I like em
smile.gif
*thumbs up

I honestly think we could make the guidelines much more concise and succint or have a collection of one-line summaries somewhere.
Seeing as most of us are from the TV/MTV generation, most of us don't have long attention spans and won't want to read the significant amount of text involved in the Forum Guidelines.
------------------
"The floggings will continue until morale improves"

I just want to know what the banned words are :p
Was reading a thread about cops the other day, and there seems to be a word for cop that's banned...
------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.

Yep sure, I should've been more specific. Basically just a couple of lines mentioning that racism, sexism and homophobia won't be tolerated on this board.

Is it possible to have the posting guidelines come up as pop-up screen or something similar when you register to join Bluelight?? Coz quite seriously hardly anyone reads the guidelines. Not so much with Social i guess as Meetups, but still. This way everyone who registers has read the guidelines and knows what to do, and you can't register till you have clicked OK at the end or something. Meh...i duno, just an idea.
smile.gif
Otherwise i think the guidelines are fine.
*DJC goes back to daydreaming at work*
DJC*
------------------
"We are the children of the revolution"

Haste: Free Speech is allowed unless it goes against the guidelines... If you or anyone has a problem with the way any mod does their job, take it up with them first, then another mod, then an admin... Modifying the guidelines now...
psuedoSym: The guidelines used to be more concise but they weren't understood by many people and too many little things were left out... If you think you can make these guidelines more concise while maintaining the content, please do, I have no problem with everyone else helping out...
Prom: ...editing... How's that?
DJC: There's going to be a set of terms and conditions which will have to be agreed to when you join... The mods/admins are working on it... So yeah, good idea
smile.gif

"Free Speech is allowed unless it goes against the guidelines" - thats what I was saying Tarsy
wink.gif

------------------
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis,
and only enough blood to run one at a time."
-- Robin Williams

Haste: the guidelines are not just enforced by moderators. It is something that EVERYONE at Bluelight has a right to say whether they agree with or not. None of the guidelines have ever been implemented without appropriate public discussion. Therefore, if something is deemed inappropriate, then everyone has deemed it that way and not just a mod.
Bluelight is not a dictatorship, and I'm slightly annoyed at those few that have a 'mod vs bluelighter' complex. It's simply not like that at all. (Haste, this is not directed at you)
I personally think there needs to be a clause about deleting threads. It needs to be made clear that the first poster in each thread has the ability to delete the whole thread and not just their own (I think some don't realise this), and yeah generally i think that NO threads should be deleted unless in contains soliciting. If a thread is really really offensive, it should be locked, moved from its current position and archived UNLESS express permission given by all contributors allows it to be completely deleted.
This might seem a bit hardcore, but anyone who's had anything of theirs deleted knows what I mean.
Otherwise, yeah cool. Guidelines are good
smile.gif

Agreed Mona, and having learned the hard way in the past (as you know), my only concern was the editing of someone's post in another thread.
Otherwise all is good
smile.gif

------------------
"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis,
and only enough blood to run one at a time."
-- Robin Williams

Nicely said mona, if people don't contribute then they have no right to complain if things aren't done the way they like...
Thanks for all your help so far everyone
smile.gif

...made some changes, how's that mona?