Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bluelight Server is Over Loaded Again - Think Before You Post

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
our server is strained to capacity at the moment. 90% of this load is to do with social forums, ie people who like the sound of their own voices...
next time you post just think for a moment, does the world really need to hear me speak crap?
update: to make things a little clearer i'm copying across the relevant parts of the closed thread:
the problem is the server is overloaded with requests for pages. we will hopefully be upgrading the server to give us a little breathing room. but this is only a very short term solution.
bluelight needs to be completely redesigned.
one of the main problems is that all the good information this board contains has been lost in the noise of social discussion. we need to create static pages of FAQs etc so that this information is readily available, and we will be putting it on a seperate server so that no matter how congested the social crap gets it will still work.
this is going to be a huge amount of work and i am asking all of you to do what you can. posts will be put up soon asking for people to volunteer time and effort in various areas. we are also planning on having to shut down BL at various times for archiving and general maintenance. you will of course be kept notified of all this.
one thing we can all do is try to remember why Bluelight is here in the first place.
if you don't know it's here so people can discuss and share information about the use of MDMA. this is why we are here, to keep people safe by sharing this information.
not to discuss threesomes, music genres and what ever crosses our minds at that moment. these things are luxuries, not rights.
too many people are using BL as their own personal playground, without giving anything back. feel free to kick back and social and guiltlessly talk shit if you are actually contributing to the well being of the Bluelight community by involving yourself in serious discussions. if you aren't doing this then you are free-loading.
if you feel you have nothing to add to the serious discussion at Bluelight then you can still contribute in many ways.
as i mentioned nefore we are going to need a great deal of help in setting up BL 2.0. we will be needing webmasters, coders, graphic designers, editors and many other positions. if you feel you can help in this way then email me or add to one of the threads on this subject that will be posted soon.
you might also consider contributing financially. this can be in the form of a direct donation, via the link at the top of every page, or you can purchase a BL t-shirt (aussie made) or EZ Test, as part of each sale is donated to BL. now this is only for those who can afford it and want to. it is in no way compulsory, but it is one wayof contributing.
perhaps the most important way of contributing is by not contributing. think before your post and ask yourself "will the world really end if i don't some inane shit that just occured to me? could i spend my time better by sitting down and reading some of the fantastic range of information thats already here on BL?"
and i can ask is that people put some thought towards being a Bluelight Community member, rather than just a Bluelight "user".
posted by FoX
To be even more specific...what is placing the primary load on the server is the serving of the forum indexes in general...General Social causes the biggest problem only because it causes the biggest server load.
Not saying that limiting frivolity is a solution, but an even bigger one would be this: rather than hitting the link at the top of the page to reload a forum index, please hit the BACK button on your browser.
This keeps the server from having to generate a new copy of the Forum Index each time it is looked at.
Does that make sense?
Oh...hi from America.
smile.gif

------------------
If it's orange and fuzzy, it's FoXy....
"So, how's it working out for you...being clever?"-Tyler Durden, Fight Club
**"Down with paranoia!"**
posted by miss apple
Check out Fox's post in the main social forum for a bit more of an explaination of the issues.
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum18/HTML/005643.html?reload=2
The Aus/NZ social forum is not in danger of being closed. Unless we want it to. And although some of the conversations on here are crap, I think we need *some* place to be able to discuss something other than drugs and arranging meetups.
johnboy, I don't need to tell you that quite a few of us have made strong and lasting friendships through this board. For us to not have a place to communicate and share experiences, thoughts, and whatever happens to come into our heads with our friends then then the community part of what bluelight is about is lost.
I do believe we are mainly here for drug education and knowledge sharing. But there is a place for social discussion. Neither you nor I nor anyone can dictate whether this conversation is actually intelligent or interesting or useful. We have to take the crap with the good. But I believe there is a place for it (not all of us have access to ICQ).
I haven't got time to search for it now but there was a long and heated debate ages ago about people thinking before they posted and I was all for people who contributed to the good of the community before they created havoc in the social forums. I was beaten down as being harsh on newbies cause I wanted to prevent them posting before contributing something good. Damn Americans and them being so fucking nice to eveyone to make them feel good about themselves. If we'd been harsher on newbies from the beginning we wouldn't have all this shit now.
We're fighting a losing battle johnboy.
yes, but i'm not giving up i refuse...
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 06 December 2000).]

*backs up johnboy*
yes, its official. the bluelight server is under strain due to the amount of people on here every day.
we hope some time in the near future some solutions to the popularity of the site can be implemented .. but for now, even though its a lot of fun, please reconsider posting when you are just talking crap !

Better still, keep the crap to email and icq - even better, try posting something interesting and thought provoking! Bluelight is far cry from what it used to be
frown.gif

Mikey, Haste, can i just say that u guyz are like 2 of the main speakers of crap, so b4 u come here and start saying yeh everyone else stop posting crap look at yourselves.......
------------------
Bars.

um have a look at the threads I have started over the time I have been here - or would you like the links to them wetmusik - do your research first wetmusik!!
There is nothing wrong with having a laugh, a tasteful laugh
And I have never personally attacked anyone - if you have a problem with me, tell it to me directly - or is it easier from the safety of your keyboard?
[This message has been edited by haste (edited 06 December 2000).]

question to mods...
can you guys delete threads or do you have to wait till they are archived....and do threads dissapear after a while?
cheers,
oh and BL has changed CONSIDERABLY since i joined the ranks.....anyway...
------------------
"herbert the pervert likes sherbert"

typical bars, instead of trying to help you just start pointing the finger...
think for a moment... if it is so self-evident that haste/mikey post shit then why did you have to tell us?
evan: we can delete threads but we dont. the moment we do some whiney bitch starts screaming about censorship so we dont even try.
this is not about the amount of space the threads take up, the whole of BL could fit on a CDR, it's an attitude thing.
many of us take the idea of harm reduction very seriously. and it pains us to see our resources used for such trivial matters. and as i said before feel free to use the social areas if you also contribute to BL. otherwise it's freeloading.
mikey and haste do so much work for BL they are allowed some slack. and this goes for many, many other people. it is not these people i am speaking to...
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 06 December 2000).]

shit yeh typical bars, bars this bars that, just for once face that i am not the one in the wrong......and how am i pointing the finger, Mikey was the one saying everyone stop posting crap, when he is part of this "crap"??? i am saying that Mikey and Haste post shit just like everyone else does, so b4 u say typical bars, know me in person first ok??? also Haste u think i am scared to say all this shit in person????? fark bring it on....
------------------
Bars.

yeah we can Delete,and if i was moderator in social id be deleting Wet BehindtheEars post!
oh sorry i mean Wet Musiks post.just to piss you off
smile.gif

Like MikeyS said:
"but for now", even though its a lot of fun, please reconsider posting when you are just talking crap!
opps,sorry Mikey.
just post carp!sorry!
~shakes head~

So which meetup you coming to wetmusik? You can bring it on there.
hehehhee Chaos - you da man
smile.gif

ooooooo i am shitting mahself.........i dunno its your call man, u brought it up, ur time ur place......
------------------
Bars.

Are u guys after punch-ons or sumthin?
seriously its alrite if people state their oppinion once but if it starts a cycle and u's start stayin on each others backs, it might escalate.
Let Bars say what he thinks,
Haste can say what he thinks,
and leave it at that.
------------------
Its my duty to please you're booty

ummmm who's talking about a punch on? Bring it on - as in tell me these things in my face - like I would seriously waste my time fighting shessshhhh

Guys, guys, chill. Its like a community in here. We are all here with the one common link of a love for our electronic music and drugs, lets leave it at that. Any personal problems should be dealt with outside of BL.
JB and fellow Admins. surely this is your pride and joy here. You run this thing and keep it going with the support of your Mods. Surely you have the right to delete posts?? A simple clause in the Guidelines section stating that you as Admin. "have the right to delete any posts at any time wihtout notice" would be sufficiant?? Sure it may seem harsh at first, but once it becomes the 'norm' everyone will be ok with it. Most agree to keeping the shit out the Social Forum section anyway, so its only a small minority that would be effected. If they don't like it, then tuff. They know the rules.
So come on everyone, support BL financially (only if possible) and with constructive posts and help with BL2. We don't want to see BL suffer in any way do we?? Sheeesh i've only been a member for 2 weeks, and look how passionate i am about the place already.
smile.gif

Keep the spirit alive~
DJC

sunflower, there are *definitely* not enough girls on here.
That's why the detailed trainspotter type threads end up with 200 replies or more.
*yawn* boooorrrring.

djcolen: thank you for actually reading and understanding both the problem and the solution here.
as for the deleting issue, as i said we can and we could, but if we did some whiney bitches wouldn't let us hear the end of it... we do delete posts that break our fundamental rules (no dealing and no real names) but even when we do that we still get the whiney bitches...
even this thread, which was simply a request for a little respect, has brought them out...
and yes there is far too much testoterone. sunflower one of the many reasons i regret you leaving as mod is that there is a definite need for more grrrls as mods. any grrl who wants the gig email me.
bars i do know you. been reading your posts for long enuf now. but when i said typical, i actually meant typical of the attitude i was talking about, not typical of you... altho i guess it is... just relax, take a deep breath and get over it ok?

ok its all been sorted now, me n haste have had a chat......nuff said.
------------------
Bars.

Ok, JB, no offence, but if this site is dedicated to harm reduction, why do we have forums for meetups/social at all in the first place???
It's because a community has formed out of all of this. And a community needs a place to be social, and organise meetups.
Take that away, and you will kill the community.
I agree - there is too much shit being posted. But just look at how many more people are using Bluelight these days. And look at how many other people are now being educated as the result of the community. It's now reaching further than ever.
Everything has its pro's and con's, but you've got to look at positives.
Something has to be done, but closing social forums isn't the answer...
------------------
...the currency man.

fuck! just shut down the social forum instead of constantly complaining about the topics discussed in here, and running down people who post 'crap'!