Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Laser, crowd scanning to be banned in Australia :(

Mr Giggles

Bluelighter
Laser scanning is to be banned in Australia mid to late next year. (I heard this on triple j a while back, in the mist of the annoucement of homelands being cancelled in sydney)
A major blow for the movement, not to mention those whom hire out these systems! I cant see much point of having lasers at events if they cant be scanned across the crowd. I am sure most of you would agree reaching for the lasers while rolling,is great fun and enhances your experience.
The only insight i can provide for this reasoning is, partial retina damage when the beam washes over your eyes. Or radiation poisoning(highly doubtful).
------------------
*its better to roll up hill then down*

No this is not good boo hoo boo boo boo
frown.gif
Reaching for the lasers is half the fun.
Now here is a quote which I know is someone's sig on here, but I can't remember who's it is. Sorry to steal it, but I have to say it just this once.
Wot's your name
Wot ave you had
Reach for the lazers
Safe as fuck.

What??? *stamps feet* noooo, i love the lasers, the lasers are cool, why would they do this?
frown.gif
Maybe it is a safety issue? and hey, its really trippy on acid when those lasers are coming atcha!
biggrin.gif

------------------
~peace out~
[This message has been edited by *sunflower * (edited 27 November 2000).]

umm...get used to it. We have been luckier than many other countries....in USA the laser beams are allowed no less than 3 meteres above the crowd. Unless they are class 1 - 3a i think..which means they are fuck all brite
frown.gif

The reason is yes, to do not just with eye damage, but irresponsible use by operators...graphics lasers aren't 'really' dangerous, if they are used properly, as the beam is moving so fast (these things can scan upwards of 40 000 points per second) that its not in ur eye for long enough to do any harm... but tell the government this.
I think its irresponsible operators who are to blame for audience scannign being banned...look at hk. When i went their early this year, they had a bigfuckoff full colour laser, with a shit 'spirograph' projector..what this means is basically this type of projector moves the beam to slow...thus making it real fucking dangerous to shine it into a crowd less than 10 metres away....i hear the hk have a new scanning system though..but i mean thats just one example.
I don't necessarily think that its going to be too much of a bad thing that audience scanning is banned...i mean..it'll mean laserists have to be more creative with their toys, like using mirrors and stuff to bounce the beams around a venue. I've seen some footage of some USA shows that fucking SHAT all over anything we've seen in australia, and not one ray of laser light even TOUCHED the crowd.
BUT this is a fucking pain in the ass..seeing as i was planning to invest in about 50 grand of laser in the next 3 years...
frown.gif
Fuck. Mutha Fuck. Well..i guess umm that the place to see audience scanning will be all the illegit parties...
FUCKING GOVERNMENT WANKERS, JOHN HOWARD U TOSSSSSSSSSSSSAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *splooooge*
[This message has been edited by [serotone] (edited 27 November 2000).]

"Reach for the lasers, safe as fuck!!!!"
Bloody reporter doesn't know shit
wink.gif

d.
------------------
Attitude is something boring people made up!!!!

Got to tell ya, once the laser's beam has gone through the whole set up and gets used on the night, there is no problem scanning the crowd.
But when they're setting them up, I've personally seen a beam set fire to a soaking wet cig pack (inc. cellophane wrapping). And one operator I know is almost completely blind in one eye because of a fuck-up (and the other eye would have been fucked from another incident, except for the fact that he was wearing sunnies, and they melted, saving his other eye). Others I know have cuts all over their hands from the beam (the heat cuts and then immediately seals the cut!)
These things are not toys. Laws currently exist to ensure that the beam speed does not drop below a certain speed - the movement is what keeps them relatively safe.
So while I think its bullshit to ban crowd scans, I can understand while governments overreact.

I know of a dood at uni..in one of the research labs..who destroyed his new jacket with a class 4 argon laser
smile.gif
Because the room was dust free...he couldn't see the beam and forgot it was there..and walked thru it...
hehehe
retard.
Yeah thats rite brett..as long as the operators are doing the rite thing....ahaha i remember back in my teen days at metro..their old laser fucked up at one point and dropped to a beam pointing right into the crowd..it stayed like that for about 3 seconds...i hope it fucked up some muzzahs shiny shirt or something hehehe
hmm.....why must old geeky nerd cunts always make dumb laws to 'protect us'
i mean...everyone goes to parties, fuck up their brains on drugs, and all the government worry about is protecting their eyes? from something that isn't 'rechnically' dangerous anyway?

WAT???
this is no bullshit, i used to watch the HK laser for 6hrs every friday. and im certainly not blind.
imu2.gif

------------------
~littleHKlaserTriPPeR~

*BUMP* hahaha
Just reading this from way back. Looks like it never ended up getting banned.
I LUV LASERS

Crowd Scanning Lazers getting banned? GET FUCKED, that is the biggest load of shit i have heard. They seriously cannot do that. I gonestly dont see it being followed thru with, do u really think that they are going to get cops or government officials to attend raves and check if they do a crowd scan? lol i can only see this happening to huge corperate events like maybe the future entertainment events and gatecrasher. But i dont see it happening in clubs and hardware events out in Altona etc.
and i notice that this topic posted in 2000, i doubted this when i heard it, perhaps the government realized how ludicrist the thought actually was to ban crown scans.
Whats gonna happen? will we end up like the US where they are banning everything from Glow Sticks to Fluffy Jumpers?
FUCK YOU GOVERNMENT :(
on the other hand if nothing happens with this i am :)
Cheers

Hmmmmmm... Opinions wanted: Should we leave this here to be discussed even though it's well over a year old? Or should we move it to the Archive?
What do we all think?

well archive I think.. Its over a year old and it doesnt look like the bans did come into play...
So... Cant see much relevance unless people want to talk about lasers????

yer archive it, just wanted to show how they could never take away our lasers.