• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

add meds and withdrawal/addiction?

mrtlo91

Greenlighter
I am thinking about going to my doctor and getting some add/adhd meds as i have been getting in trouble at work lately for forgetting to do tasks, not being able to focus etc. My questions are
1. Are stimulant add meds known to cause withdrawal at a therapeutic dose?
2. Are any of the non stimulant drugs available helpful?
3. Is provigil/nuvigil prescribed for add?

Thank you

I am thinking about going to my doctor and getting some add/adhd meds as i have been getting in trouble at work lately for forgetting to do tasks, not being able to focus etc. My questions are

As far as I know they cause no withdrawal in the mayority of users when stopped. My personal experience is exactly like that, from 45 mg Dextroamphetamin to 0 without sweats. But expect lethargy, sleepiness and maybe mild depression to occur.

Ashwhaganda/ Whitania Somniferrum was the only supplement I found usefull and actualy doing something besides placebo.

Nope but that is my personal experience and may be different in other country's or with other dr's so it's hard to tell.

1. yes
2. its different for everyone, for some they work great, for others they don't. But they're defiantly worth a try
3. not that I'm aware of

1. Yes
2. Completely dependant on brain chemistry, any non stimulant add med I tried made me fall asleep.
3. Although one person stated they aren't prescribed for ad/hd much, I have to beg to differ because I know many people prescribed those for anything from meth recovery to motivation.

Yes, but nothing very severe. The real problems start when you get to much higher doses.

Guanfacine is the most popular of them, I'd definitely say so for a lot of people. It also makes an excellent adjuvant at eliminating side effects from stimulants.

Yes, but not frequently. It isn't indicated for it, but plenty of doctors do prescribe off label. It definitely helps some people a lot, and has a better side effect profile than most stronger stims. It also mixes great with amphetamines, if you can get a script for Armodafinil+Lisdexamfetamin+Guanfacine (Nuvigil+Vyvanse+Tenex) that is going to be the best combo I'm aware of for current approved ADHD drugs, but everyone is different.

1.) Yes.
2.) Yes (Strattera, Clonidine, etc), but is usually only helpful for hyperactivity.
3.) Yes, off-label.

1. In my experience, stimulant withdrawal from regular prescribed dosages is usually moderate lethargy and mild depression for a week or so...nothing in the category of opiates/benzos/SSRI.
2. I used to use Ephedrine/Caffeine with success but I dont know if its available anymore...except probably online.
3. Yes, but I rarely hear about it ... Adderall/Vyvanse/Dexedrine/Ritalin seem to be more popular...