• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

20 Good reasons to give up smoking spliff.

mona

Bluelight Crew
Anyone? Heh.. I have no idea, I just know I should.. well, maybe not completely give up :-/ but school's back now and anyway.. I need some motivation to actually do it - like, I need someone to point out all the lovely benefits that come with cutting back.
Also, I live alone, which I personally think makes it harder.
What should I do?!?! Help!
wink.gif

fuck it. all this talk is really making me crave
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by mona (edited 19 February 2001).]

This is how I thought i would give up:
Went on holiday to Byron. Went to Nimbin, bought ridiculous amounts of weed. Smoked all of it.
My theory was that if i smoked enough weed i would get sick of it....STUPID IDEA!
Im in the same situation...Uni going back...i manged to cut down to once a week by just stopping. Its really not that hard. Ive been smoking at least 3-4 times a week now for about a year and just cutting back to once a week hasnt been that hard, Ive had no cravings...except when im drunk..so yeah.
My best advice is to keep away from other people who smoke...maybe erase your dealers no from your phone?

I in the last two weeks have givin up the daily ritual. Going from a foil a day to nothing isnt easy, But it has to be done. I've found I have a lot more energy to do things and motivation levels are slowly increasing. PLus theres no more billy hangover everyday, I can actually wake up in the mornings now.
Its been very very hard to say the least.
Getting to sleep being the hardest part.
I found drinking a few beers before bed helps, not to get pissed but something to relax me.
I did have one killer comedown caused by bong paranoia that did help me decide enough was enough tho.
But make the effort, You will feel better..... Eventualy.
I had a few tries at quitting so good luck
smile.gif

OK, so I'm not thinking about entirely quitting. At the moment I smoke every day. Granted only a cone or two, but still, the habit is there.
ONE PROB - ALL my friends smoke. Not one, not two, ALL!! I can't get away from it. I live in a country town and there's not much else to do :-/
So anyway, I dont want to do the cold turkey thing. I'm fine with smoking pot BUT I am noticing it affecting my motivation levels.. this being my final year, I can't afford to have it affect my work. So i thought, ok, no smoking on school nights (or on the weekends when i have work to do - basically, no smoking until work is done)
This was my rule last year, I wasn't allowed a smoke until after all my work was done. It suited me well, but lately I've noticed feeling heaps better in the mornings, less foggy etc etc if I dont smoke after say 6 or 7pm.. So i figure, no smoking on school nights is a good idea.
The sleeping thing has me worried
frown.gif
I'm not sure if I'd rather feel dead tired in the morning from having a shyte night's sleep, or feel slightly foggy but at least awake.
I know what I have to do.. and at least I can take solace in being able to smoke on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights
smile.gif
I guess it wont be too hard. I think I'm just freaked out because today was only the first day and I don't have any text books or readings yest, so there's not really anything I can do..
maybe I'll just have one last cone...
hehehe
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mona (edited 19 February 2001).]

The hardest part about quitting is when none of your mates are.
Everyones sitting round the bong, Its so hard to say no.
Only thing to do is lock yourself in your bedroom for 2 weeks until the cravings go away, then somehow convince your friends you dont hate them.
Or be really strong willed. Which when it comes to pot is damm near impossible.
Oh its just one cone .... Ah fuck it pass the bong
smile.gif

ok, the 2 best things *I* find about not smoking pot is 1: The awesome sleep you have after you "learn" to sleep without the bong. So restful, so awesomely peaceful, and you remember your dreams. 2: You dont get the feeling of complete degradement when you look at that dirty bong after you have caved.
I dunno, in a perfect world I would probably smoke pot all day, but I really don't know many pot heads who convince me its productive. Their lives revolve around it (dont take offence to this mona, i loves ya totally, and i know it doesnt effect you like that, but with most people it does)
So yeah, give it up, before it gets out of hand. Its just all crap, thats all.
word for the day? probably Hippopotamus.
Love you mona
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mr. Horse (edited 19 February 2001).]

THC as far as I know lasts in the system fro approximately a month though this can vary greatly on few things, fat deposits..thats where thc is stored...the amount smoked and the frequency of smoking..oh yeah...and of course the quality of weed (ie amount of thc).....so..it can actually be a few months......
for me..being a bit heavier a smoker than yourself by the sounds of it, it took a good five months of cold turkey till I really felt that I had the willpower to smoke occasionally without letting it get out of hand. For the first month or so though..it was kinda hard cos friends smoked....but, after then, things noticeaboly improved and motivations levels really went up...slept fine, and over time my short term memory has been improving though still not that good.
Ideally you need to try and have willpower, not only to say no, but to avoid situations where you may find it difficult to say so...such as particularly persuasive or insistant friends....or big group sessions....for a few weeks it really does help significanlty... also perhaps try to meet ppl who either don't, have or sometimes...it also helps alot.
Good luck...trust me moderation reallly is the key...its made things alot easier for me....

I'm with Mr. Horse. The return from experiencing stoned unconsciousness every night to experiencing good quality REM sleep on a regular basis is really worth the effort. The first few nights can be vivid and bizarre dreams and night sweats, but once you come through that, it's restful slumber all the way.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

i really don't know how anyone going to uni could smoke pot regularily!! i smoked all through high school..and quit when i went to uni....it really does have an effect on your memory..and not only short term btw if you're a regular smoker! and i was on who didn't even smoke it everyday back in high school...and it was only for a period of 1.5 years approximatly...and yet it took over 3 years to detox my system of all the damage it had done!! you're a bit luckier if you are under say 17...as pot happens to destroy (burn out) your neurons which is how info is transmissted in your brain..and why it causes probs with memory...until you are about 17 you are constantly making new neurons..but once you hit that age your body stops...so smoking pot (and well consuking e) destroys neurons that are now irreplaceable so it takes a LONG time for those connections to be built up amoung other older neurons.
i think anyone who smokes pot and then quits would be amazed a few years later to find how good their memory is then...and how much easier uni is...i dun even have to pay attanetion in lecture and my brain absorbs the info!!
i only have 5.5 mths left in oz...and when i go back to canada...im doing my last year at uni...and when i leave here it will be the last of e for me..till come back...so im looking forward to seeing the effects e really has had on me and how it will effect my learning when i get back to uni

i'm not much of a pot smoker myself and never was, but just something about helping you sleep..
if you know a herbalist or naturopath, get your hands on some valerium drops. if not, then you'll have to buy the shit-smelling valerium tea
smile.gif

either way, if you have some about an hour before you're planning to go to bed, it relaxes your body and can make it easier to sleep.
BigfootDragon.

I've done the valerian thing. HEAPS of times (in other, "not smoking pot for 2 weeks" stints) and while it works sometimes, last time I had it I had 4 Valerian Forte tabs and .. nothin'. *sigh* I'm just too hardcore LOL
wink.gif

anyway, I just popped in to say.. I DID IT!! Day one down, and.. I slept like a baby! apart from waking up a couple of times to the joyous occassion of Piccolo (my kitty) licking and nibbling on my face i slept right the way through and felt pretty damn good when I woke up.
Admittedly I went to bed way past my bedtime (hehe it was about midnight) so I was tired (it'd been a long day) but even so, usually I just end up waking up after an hour not being able to sleep.
One thing happened though, that usualy happens when i try and sleep without weed... i get these weird ass muscle tingly cramp spasm things. I don't know what it is, but its like I get this weird feeling in my muscles (usually my legs)and to get rid of it i have to fully flex (and clench my butt cheeks) for about 3 or 4 secs. Its not painful, just really annoying.. like i can't sit/lay still.
hmm..
anyway, now i'm late for class. Oh yeah Temptress, my smoking pot has not affected my grades in the slightest. I do notice that my note taking skills in lectures aren't as good (ie i always forget what they just said...) but yeah, i always said that the day i noticed it affect my schoolwork was the day i quit.. unfortunately (or fortunately) that day hasnt come yet.
anyway cheerio. sorry for the long ass post.
mona.

I get those wierd arse tingly muscle spasm cramp things too. It normally happens when I'm really tired and normally before I get into bed. It's a bitch when you're in the movie theatre when you get it...cause yeah it feels like you can't sit still even though you're dog arse tired.
Pot always got rid of it. But not smoking pot doesn't mean you'll never get it anymore (if that makes any sense at all). ie I never smoke pot anymore but I still get it occasionally.
I haven't worked out what can fix it...apart from going to sleep.
Doesn't help you out much...sorry
smile.gif

The number one reason to give up pot would have to be: To get stoned again.. (no seriously..)
To get completely red-eyed, giggling your arse off, stuffing your face full of Dorito's, stoned.
That kind of stoned just isn't possible when you smoke dope every day. I smoked for about 2 - 3 years flat out, until about a year ago, when I gave it up because I got sick of being addicted to something.
Now when I light up a J, it's like a totally new drug... it's exciting again.. rather than just temporary relief from an never ending bong-over..
Good-luck... and try not to get too cranky!

I'd look at why you smoke before looking at how to stop.
I used to smoke heaps for a bit of entertainment. If I was bored, I'd always find something interesting to do when stoned.
I tried to consciously stop cos I knew it was bad for me and my brains, but it never worked. No matter how much I wanted to stop, sometimes I'd just get bored, and smoke a cone almost subconsciously.
I stopped cos I wanted to get really stoned off a cone again. Started again.
I stopped cos I couldn't afford it. Started again.
I stopped cos I wanted cones to be an exciting event again. Start again.
I stopped cos I couldn't think straight. Started again.
Theres more too
smile.gif

I smoke cos I like it. I like it cos it's such an easy way to be entertained... when there's nothing to do.
Then when I really threw myself into something (what is was doesn't matter, in my case it was uni) then I was constantly occupied and never bored. I went about two weeks before I even noticed I hadn't been smoking.
Cravings still happen, but if you have something you're really interested in to concentrate on, they'll go.
[This message has been edited by entropope (edited 21 February 2001).]

i have just gone back to uni (chemical engineering if anyones interested) and found myself in the predicament of having to stop smoking 3 - 4 times a day...
i find it quite easy (i have to do the same every semester) as i usually smoke out of boredom, and when im at uni im not bored, allways doing stuff...
i AM looking forward to my friday night sesh, but i've found doing without this week 100 times easier than trying not to smoke ONE afternoon on the hollidays...

dirty beatnix dude.. ditto ditto ditto.
I thought it'd be SOOO much harder than what it has been. But yeah.. now i have shit to occupy my time, its heaps better. AND, i don't even have classes tomorrow and i STILL didnt have a cone
smile.gif
smile.gif
but yeah,like i said, ditto, i'm looking forward to a weekend smoko
smile.gif
heehee

Mona, i'm going through the same thing as u, as I'll be doing some cisco training soon. Anyway, the best method i have found is to get up as early as possible, and go & do some exercise (i swim 2k's most mornings). I find that not only does this help get it out of your system quicker, but is also helping my lung capacity (need that 4 bodyboarding) & shrinking my "pot belly" (yeah i know its a bad one!) AND alows me to get a good nite's sleep. Oh yeah valerian can hel, so to does melatonin (can get from health food shops).
let me know how u go!
Tim
no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society.
If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn't test
people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed
and love of power.
-P.J. O'Rourke "Studying for Our Drug Test".

don't be bored! Easy to say, but start taking walks, or active but mindless/ cruise control stuff.
Especially don't be sitting with your mates when somebody's just got a heap of trash videos out. You'll have to smoke then.