• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Guidelines for Moderators - what do you think mods should / should not be doing?

Finn

Bluelighter
There's been a fair amount of discussion over the last week about what the responsibilities of moderators should or should not be.
Having some guidelines might make our task a bit easier. Not rules...... we don't want them!
smile.gif
Guidelines, something that we can refer to to reassure us that the course of action we are about to take is the preferred one.
Here's what we have come up with so far
smile.gif

Tarsarlan suggested a couple of things....
If there is a thread that any of us thinks needs to be closed, we say that we want to close it in the thread, and why, and the other mods reply with their opinions. Everyone else can also see that it could possibly be closed, and why. If two of the other mods agree, the thread gets closed.
Threads should not be deleted unless they are extremely offensive. Only something which everyone will be offended by should be completely removed, differences of opinion aren't good enough.
Single posts shouldn't be deleted either, just edited and the offensive part of the post censored and replaced with a reason for the editing.
We should never jump down anyone's throats if we have to correct them in anyway. A statement of what they did wrong and how to correct it should be enough, and if it isn't we can jump down their throat the next time they do something wrong.
MikeySammy raised this issue...
Im not sure whether mods are expected to take on the responsibility of being responsible and not putting forth their own opinion if it is going to cause trouble.
Johnboy had this to say .....
Just be consistent, and if you delete/edit/close something, state clearly why you are doing it. the only strict law across the whole of Bluelight is NO DEALING. beyond that i feel moderators are free to decide what they want, within their own forums. BUT less is more, as far as rules go.
I guess I'd really like to hear what you guys think we should be doing. It's your board after all. Maybe you think we're doing a great job and things should stay exactly as they are
smile.gif

We're listening.
Finn
smile.gif

The only thing I ask is that if any of you do decide to close a thread, that you explain why.
There have been threads in other forums that have been closed with no explaination from anyone (and I've known the reasons why it was closed) which just then seems like a power trip.

First of all, I think the mods are doing an alrite job atm.
one thing that mods should NOT do is to edit or delete ANY posts/threads of others. (except in cases whereabouts ppl are dealing or in the US forums where n**** are not allowed to be mentioned)
No offence Tarsalan, but i think you edited someone's posts the other day and i do recognise that you explained your actions.
However, i personally feel that my posts are of MY OWN and see no reason why someone else has to fiddle ard with it. Shld I be flaming or say something stupid that let me make the decision for myself.

i agree goose and I could see it as a big invasion of privacy, but we will only edit posts if they contain 1: real names 2: phone numbers and address and 3: any dealing.
Otherwise, if you flamed the crap out of someone then I reckon everyone should see it. Thats why you posted it isnt it? for everyone to see?
Anyway, lets not get too bogged down in this. Lets play nice, and have fun
smile.gif

Umm I havn't edited anyone's posts at all... I've closed threads, deleted one multiple post 'cos there were about 10 of the same large post, but havn't edited anything... Where did you see that Gonegoose?
But if someone flamed someone else harshly enough, and it was obvious that it was going to offend the person the flame was directed at, as well as pissing off other people, then I believe it should be edited... I havn't seen any posts like that tho, and don't expect to around here...

oh dear tars!!! SORRY about that!!! too much you noe what u noe what!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

ERmmmm damn! it was in the Drug Discussion forum and i MIGHT haf been BT...or Chaos...Fuck shit!! i can't remember!! argH!!!!
damn memory is failing me now! sorry to cause offence but you get the point i guess!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

A suggestion for Mr Horse..Follow the Guidelines before closing bloody threads.
if there is a thread that any of us thinks needs to be closed, we say that we want to close it in the thread,and why, and the other mods reply with their opinions.
I dont think i saw that displayed in the dodgy or suss bluelighters thread by you Horsey! None of that other stuff pissed me off man..I thought it was all quite amusing.
What did piss me off tho was not having a bloody chance to reply cause you had already closed the thread.
The only one who was gonna get hurt from that thread is me and well i definatly dont need you closing threads on my behalf man.!!
Anyways enough of that serious shit!
All you moderators are dodgy, especially Mr Horse
wink.gif
!!!!!!!
------------------
I shall fondly remember November 25th of the Year 2000.
'That was the Start of the Summer of Madness'
[This message has been edited by MorpheusDaq (edited 14 November 2000).]

Moderators should not act like school teachers.
Moderators should not act like nazis.
Moderators should not act like weekend warriors.
Moderators should not act like the thought police.
Moderators should not censor my thoughts and/or opinions.
Moderators should not let their authority go to their heads.
Moderators should have a sense of humor.
Moderators should remember that people come here for entertainment.
Moderators should be seen and not heard (my mum added that one).

I've posted this over here because I don't want to ruin Haste's Idle Ramblings! thread, but it was actually in response to his post:
Anyone else have some interesting in depth ramblings to share and at the same time restore my faith that this forum is not full of utter bullshit?
But that got me started on this thread here... Anyway, here's the post...
Also accept that what is bullshit to some is simply light entertainment to others. Most people use this forum as a place to have a laugh, and that's why there's so much "utter bullshit" around.
Unfortunately we can't all be the kind of people who have indepth, well thought out, and highly interesting things to say all the time, infact some people never have anything to say in that fashion. I do agree that there is not a whole lot of deep thought going on around here, but I also wouldn't call this place full of bullshit. But as I said above, you say bullshit, I say light entertainment.
Actually on second glance there's quite a few threads which are definately not bullshit, and while they might not be interesting to everyone, they do have merit. The "Mu(x)kE V's Piglet" type threads are in the minority at the moment, and if anyone wants to contest that claim send me an email.
I could go on about differing opinions and the multitude of human failings and the inability of humans to agree on anything or be happy with anything but i'll just get myself more and more pissed off and I don't think you guys need that.
If I've taken your post the wrong way Haste that's too bad, but I'm sick of people making out as if this forum is full of crap and is out of control. It would not get much use at all if it turned the way some people seem to want it, and if we were to please everyone it would have to be spilt into several different forums because everyone has different ideas of what is acceptable.
I can't see any huge problem with the way it is now, I'm quite happy with this forum's current state. I'm sick of defending our forum, but I'm not gonna stop because I pushed for this forum and I like it, it has seen a lot of use, and it has cleaned up a lot of the clutter in the other forums and it has not caused any major problems.
Co-operation is the major issue here. As I first pointed out, and as DAQ highlighted.
If there is a thread that any of us thinks needs to be closed, we say that we want to close it in the thread, and why, and the other mods reply with their opinions. Everyone else can also see that it could possibly be closed, and why. If two of the other mods agree, the thread gets closed
If we can do this then we as mods will have a concensus of differing viewpoints, and from recent events its obvious we do have somewhat different opinions.
I think its a fucked up way of having to do things, and slows things down quite a bit, but people are gonna get bored if we go closing threads or censoring posts at the first sign of potential trouble.

Psyntist- I agree with everything you said (except the seen and not heard bit)
Tarsarlan- i agree with everything you said. Id also just like to add that not only will people get bored if mods go closing down threads at the sign of potential trouble, they will also start to get Pissed off..
And now on to Mikeysammy. Id just like to say you are a fucking disgrace for closing the dodgy or suss bluelighters thread. ESPECIALLY writing 'this thread has been classified by ME as a bullshit thread' and giving no good reason why it was closed.
I dont know why you are emphazing the word ME for Mikey. Should we be impressed or something? You obviosuly think your OPINION is FACT. When in actual FACT your OPINION is just that. A fucking OPINION. Nothing more. And not one shared by everyone else either.
So what if you have classified it as a 'bullshit' thread. You still have no right to close it. Who the fuck are you to say what should or should not be open.
I dont give a rats ass if you are a moderator, that does not mean your OPINION is any better than anyone elses. And other ppl were enjoying that thread.
You have suddenly gone all serious on us in the space of a fucking week or so. Cause the entertaining (but complete and UTTER Bullshit) Word Assocaition thread was started by you if i recall correctly. What a fucking hypocrite.
Maybe from now on i should just post in threads that i dont particulary like saying they should be closed.If anyone asks me why i think it should be closed, ill just say i think its bullshit. No other reason needed around here it seems! Yeh. Thats sounds really fucking fair to me.
The reason im so pissed off is cause i actually thought you had more intelligence that that man. Dont abuse your fucking powers as a moderator. Maybe you dont like a thread. But if you are going to close it you better have a real fucking good explanation for doing so. 'Classified by ME as bullshit' does not cut it at all! Dont fuck with other peoples opinions or their chance to express them.

DAQ has spoken!
But why listen to him? He's a dodgy bastard!
wink.gif

Seriously though, I agree with everything Daq and Psyentist have put forward.
I was also enjoying the "dodgy and suss bluelighters" thread. It was a harmless bit of entertainment.
And I've noticed that since the installation of extra moderators and "guidelines", the fun really has died out a lot. And that really was one of the reasons for coming here a lot - it was fun! You could sit back and have a laugh with like-minded people.
I know I personally scrutinise every post I make now to make sure I don't "offend" anyone and end up getting the thread closed. It really does kinda suck...
So I say: MAKE IT FUN AGAIN!
------------------
...the currency man.

you have to remember why we came here, and why we originally became so damn addicted. It was because it was fun, a great place to read about things you felt strongly about.
I think thats gone. Maybe because its grown, the community has become a little less intimate. I just think of all these fantastic people that have left bluelight. People whos threads I used to LOVE reading, and they simply got sick and tired of it all, and I dont blame them at all, this place has become quite unpleasant, both for bluelighters and mods.
Maybe everyone needs to take a step back and look at themselves.
We bitch and moan about the american forums, but I tell you, they are MUCH more informative and entertaining than this forum, and the people seem a lot more friendly and willing to accept peoples opinions on music, life.... everything.
Anyway, when i leave for Europe, i'm "handing in the towell" so to speak. I'm over being a mod. All this hard effort that I have put in seems to constantly be shoved right back in my face by the same people, and after a while, you just think why the fuck should I even bother. Bluelight for me has lost its charm. The awesome people I have met will always stay in my lives, but bluelight as a whole has diminished. I will continue to post, but I just dont want the responsibilities that go along with being a mod.
Like pinger once said, I want the option of checking bluelight once a month, not 3 times a day as you do when ur a mod.
Thanks to those who I have made friends with over the year Ive been at bluelight, you will continue to stay in my life forever. For those who continue to make bluelight what it is, perhaps its time for a change?

Just how many mods do we have anyway? It seems like every second person is a fucking mod.
Can you say too many chiefs and not enough indians?
Here's an idea: Make everyone a mod. Then I could go and shutdown every fucking thread that doesn't interest me.
I'd make a rule that every thread should be about me or my close friends.

morph, i closed that thread originally because I thought it had the potential to cause some damage. I know you can stand up for yourself, but others might be more vulnerable. With the amount of bitching and whining, i'm sure someone was going to get attacked sooner or later. I did what i thought was nessicary, but when ur opinion doesnt count, whats the point?
I think its funny that you guys have problems with mods who stand up for what they believe in. If we said "psyentist and Daq, please let the forum run how you want it to run" everything would be rosy wouldnt it??
Well fuck that, this place shouldnt be controlled by two doodes who's beliefes are so strong they wont listen to anyone else. That thread was the first one ive closed in AGES because I dont generally have a problem with them, but I back up mikeysammy in his decision to close that particular thread.
Not that you care, but the job of mod involves looking after peoples best interests, not just a select few who insist on chatting in every single thread.
Its no surprise people are getting sick of it. Its such a damn fucken exclusive social club, and I know that most of us are getting pretty sick and tired of it.
whats the point when its not fun anymore. All I see is flame flame flame or mindless drivvle. Fuck, if I want that I'll go and get myself a girlfriend!!
wink.gif

reason for closing dodgy thread
tarsarlan said:
Close this again if you want to Mr.Horse, or any of the other moderators,
but I personally don't see any harm in it yet... If it goes that way then I'll stand corrected and will gladly close it, but it deserves more of a chance than its had...
well sorry daq, i mean can you seriously tell me that thread was anything but a bit of a joke-around for you, plastikman, pekkie and a few others ?
(although the mere topic of the thread was just way too much of an invite for craptalk anyway.. i know its hard to resist)
i think tarsarlan opened it back up hoping that giving it a second chance would mean someone would make a real reply..
he gave it another chance.. and it didnt get any better. i mean, yeah get annoyed because i got to decide that it didnt get any better and you didnt .. but honestly, that thread was going nowhere and you know it!
on top of that did you read when cosmic seadog did actually point out that the thread was "meant as a serious thread, in a way" ?
guys, maybe not in this case, but im sure in other cases when you take over threads in the fashion that you did, you're actually ruining someone's thread and discouraging them to contribute again.
SORRY PEOPLE THAT DONT LIKE ME i need to be an asshole in order that you guys dont take over and turn every thread into social talk for you and your friends.
dont you see that as soon as you do, the number of replies by other people slowly diminish?
i am looking after other people's interests, not just my own.
so hands up who wants to be a moderator !
now hands up who dont like how the current moderators are going about things..
ok, you people with your hands up -
you want to make a serious suggestion how we should go about protecting your interests as bluelighters who want to have your fun and make everything one big joke, whilst still trying to make it somewhere that 1 people can be taken seriously, 2 there is proper social discussion (as in, not just a joke) that is open to everyone?
SERIOUSLY - MAKE A SUGGESTION IN THIS THREAD
dont only complain.. but help create a solution to this difference in opinion

The way I see it now, and I think MikeySammy agrees 'cos he's the one who got me thinking this way (his post up there sorta says the same that I'm about to say), is that those people who are regulars on this board need to stop jumping in and turning so many threads into a joke that is really only funny for a few people.
But how do we make it fun for everyone?
  • The regulars need to learn some self control and stop taking over every thread.
  • Everyone should learn some self-control and let serious threads remain serious
  • Mods need to lighten up and not jump down the throats of people having fun if it's in the right place
  • Everyone should lighten up Goddammit!
I hate this serious shit fuck it!!!
{edit}One little addition... If we're gonna stop the regulars from taking over other threads, we'll need somewhere else to play, so I think we should lighten up on the "bullshit" threads if the regulars wanna use em, like that Off topic thread, wherever its gone...{/edit}
[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 15 November 2000).]

What they said ^
I THINK WE SHOULD CLOSE THIS THREAD NOW CUS EVERYTHINGS BEEN CLEARED UP
smile.gif

And everybody's happy, see =
smile.gif
= mikey
smile.gif
=tars
smile.gif
=morphy
wink.gif