• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Giving Your Dog Benzodiazepines

Status
Not open for further replies.

muie

Bluelighter
I am planning on getting a 4yr old dog which was abused for the greater 3yrs of her life, she has social problems and reasonably so. I have read about treating dogs with medicine and it seems like its the same as for humans (maoi, ssri and benzos) - the safest no doubt are benzos (clonidne was also mentioned).

If your dog is at this age of 4yrs and it's impossible to get her into a bathtub, altough she is okay with being outside in the open and being hosed down, having buckets of water/soap on her (outdoors this time is impossible), would benzos work for a dog this shook up and used to her routine?

Any tips on trying to get her into the bath?

Also regarding the separtion anxiety ontop as I have yet to get her from the owner which has gotten the dog for about 4 months now from a previous abusive owner & even when she was taken to MUCH better home she still moaned around. I haven't done anything yet I am simply asking for some advice for dogs that have been traumatized and have certain phobias like getting into a bath tub (she won't even get in a mini pool).

Besides benzos, would opioids (dialudid 2mg IR oral) have the same benefits besides pain relief, ie could they be used instead of benzos for the same reasons?

I didnt know where to post this hopefully its in the right forum if not move it somewhere else, as long as it doesn't end up in the metal health forum :)

Many thanks in advance!

Moving to OD sorry mods if this is not the right forum but this is definitely not for Hl

To the OP I think you should just go to a veterinary clinic to ask for some advice on what medication the dog shoul take etc and not give benzos.

My buddy's family has a dog that is gets Rx'd some benzos. Its got to be the smallest dose imaginable, because the dog is one of those '7 lb soaking wet' things. It absolutely freaks out at thunder, fireworks, and any other really loud noises.

I don't see anything too bad about giving them to dogs, but just like with humans you have to use them sparingly. Well in the long run you gotta talk to the vet about this, they'll give you the best/most info.

I have a cat that would shit himself every time I took him to the vets. He would always do it on the way home too.

Well anyways I called the vet and they gave me a script for him. Its some sort of barbiturate. It sounds like horrid stuff, but hey try giving the cat a bath when he is covered in shit. I have given him a bath and well there was blood.

But anyways I put a pill in his mouth and hold it shut for a second and the cat is really chilled out. He is much better going to the vets even in terms of driving him there, so I guess he feels better, but more importantly I don't have to hose the cat down or give him a bath. Not to mention cleaning the cage.

So yeah long story short, call your veterinarian. They will have no problem giving you animal narcotics as the dose is so tiny.

Ask your veterinarian. Just like in humans, narcotics do not solve an underlying condition. Not to mention that certain felines, and canines lack the enzymes (P450) that break down drugs such as hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc, which is why you see kitty vicodin or doggy oxy dilluted to extremely low doses because your animal could die if you are "self-medicating" it for problems that require veterinary care, I think that's the best harm reduction we can apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.