• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Roger&Me

Bluelighter
Inherent Vice
a p.t. anderson picture

wdbd.png

What can I say? This movie looks like it has the potential to be an all-time drug culture classic on par with Fear & Loathing. Its been a long time since I've been actively, pants-shittingly excited about anything happening in cinema. I think this will be right up my alley.

I'm a huge fan of Anderson's 90's films, especially Boogie Nights. This looks like it will be a return to comedic filmmaking, which I think is one of Anderson's strong suits despite not being something he is widely known for these days. IMHO Boogie Nights was one of the funniest movies ever made.

I came across some pictures taken at the set:

k9xm.jpg

yhjv.jpg

fzyn.jpg

gkok.jpg

lokl.jpg

04wa.jpg

7wbe.jpg

xvao.jpg

Anyway, it won't be coming out until some time in 2014, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Like I said, I haven't actually been excited about a movie in a long time, but this has me pretty damn excited.

hellyea. nice material for a pt anderson film. will push him out of his box a bit. the book is much sillier in style and plot than any story he's dealt with yet. and there are some great names in the cast.

in pynchon's version, doc's character is more "drug-fueled" like jeffrey 'the dude' lebowski than raoul duke. and he smokes significantly less pot than either.

yeah i gotta say the book has a peculiar mind-altering quality to it that is totally captivating to me. maybe its just because i smoked a bunch of weed while i read it :D but i had some amazing mind paintings / visuals at certain times during my reading... like pastel images of doc standing there staring at his painting of a "southern california beach that never was" on velvet, and some that made me lol like denis with a piece of pizza on the brim of his hat

i really related to doc as a character, too. i felt like his feelings for shasta ran much deeper than he let on, which made me kinda sad. and its telling that he spends the entire book trying to solve a mystery that might not even exist. pynchon is a master imho, the book has so many levels, which is remarkable because its essentially a cartoon.

inherent_vice_banner.png

inherent vice wikipedia page said:
Inherent Vice premiered as the centerpiece at the New York Film Festival on October 4, 2014. The film is set enter a limited release run on December 12, 2014, before going wide on January 9, 2015.

this shit is gonna be so epic. i've been waiting years to see this movie.

I saw it last night, was pretty good. Definitely need to see it again though, the plot is kind of difficult to follow. I'm going to wait until it's out on DVD though, It's 2 1/2 hours long which is way too long for me to sit in a theater without an intermission.

Loved martin short's cameo

Last edited:
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com.au is probably the best PTA site on the internet worth following - the most common comment from reviews has been of the need for multiple viewings and the feeling of being drugged out when leaving cinema. I can't wait for this to be released although it wouldn't matter at all to me if it wasn't done by PTA.

was excited to see this and sad to say it was a huge letdown. if not familiar with the source material don't expect to really follow anything that is going on, heck i'd imagine you have to study and have it fresh in your mind to even begin to follow on the first viewing. but after 90 minutes whatever appeal it had vanished and i just didn't care anymore.

Last edited:
^i haven't seen it yet, going to on monday or tuesday.

but i think that might just be the way the material is. i mean, pynchon is one of those authors that you either love or hate, because he purposefully makes the story hard to follow as a way to kind of make you get lost inside of it. it does take a lot of mental energy to deal with, it took me 2 or 3 reads to get a handle on the book.

yea, i tried reading pynchon in the past, just didn't have the patience. you'll probably dig the film adaptation, will be interested to hear your thoughts, especially since i mentioned being familiar with the work helping and ya read it 3 times.

had to google a favorite exchange from an ol' reddit post...

[–]freemanposse 5 points 1 year ago
I tried to read Gravity's Rainbow. There's a moment, early on, where I'm pretty sure that they've got a giant, sentient tumor that used to be a man, and the tumor is really good at cryptanalysis, so British intelligence is ritualistically feeding this tumor cocaine. And that is where I gave up, because either that's wrong, in which case I'm in way over my head, or that's right, in which case my thought process is something like "what."

[–]topherotica 3 points 1 year ago
So like 15 out of like 700ish pages. At least you tried.

[–]freemanposse 1 point 1 year ago
Just checked - it's like sixteen pages in. No longer sure the tumor was ever a man, but there is definitely cocaine being delivered by Englishmen.

Last edited:
lmao you could probably read the pages of gravity's rainbow in any given random order and they would all make equal sense

finally got around to this, with its delayed aussie release. loved it. it pays off big time, i think. after persevering with such a ridiculously plot that keeps getting side tracked it put the sober me into a "what the fuck's going on" stoner stupor. not following the plot is the point, it seems, and it just plays out with some wickedly disconcerting scenarios and fuckin funny characters.

not his best work, but 4/5