• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin Taper

Kevin4779

Greenlighter
Hey guys, veteran bluelight browser yet amateur poster. I have a heroin habit that fluctuates between heavy to occasional use. I have for the past 3 months used every weekend but not enough to experience withdrawals during the week. But two weeks ago I overdid it and found a connect for grams of heroin Instead of bundles as I live in middle jersey the grams were a much better value for the amount. Anyway yesterday I bought a bundle and used 5 bags and gave one away and had three left. I used one today and have two left. I have a desire to taper off back to the point where I can use recreationally without withdrawals. I'd like to use the two bags left to return to the point where I will not withdrawal. Does anyone have any tips for me ? Any advice is appreciated. I do not IV My ROA is insufflation and I usually begin to get sick after 2 days of no use. The third day is when it gets bad. Any more background needed I can provide. Thank you.

I was in the same boat, but oxycodone is what really got me. I got on Suboxone, and then, I switched to Subutex. Although I was more comfortable on Subutex, in hindsight, I would gladly trade the few years I had bouncing around dipshit doctors. I can't tell you how many times I heard, "Naloxone is there to prevent drug abuse.." I would also get them to clarify that it was drugs in general, not just opioids, so having medical "professionals" tell and refuse me over that bs was very frustrating. I'd be a little more understandable if they were ignorant to think sublingual Naloxone use would prevent opioid effects but every substance?

I was forced to go to rehab. It sucked, but I didn't have to worry about the power getting cut off or getting kicked out.. I tried really hard to get kicked out though..:)..I'm not you, so I can't tell you if tapering off of heroin with heroin is a bad idea. I can say that it wouldn't work for me. I can just think back to when I would buy oxy's and say, "Ok, I'm going to just do a few of these and sell the rest." I'd be lucky to sell any of them. Maintenance and/or rehab works if you let it.

This is a little confusing though: " I have a desire to taper off back to the point where I can use recreationally without withdrawals. I'd like to use the two bags left to return to the point where I will not withdrawal. "

Kevin this is much better suited for OD... I have moved it there in hopes you will get much better responses.

When I used I generally tried to cut my dose in half each following day, or use just enough to feel like I was somewhat not sick. It will take will power, but when you want to truly quit it is possible.

You may get a lot of suggestions to try methadone or suboxone, and I can support these methods as I am still on sub. However, keep in mind this is generally a last resort, and can drag out the process by weeks or years.

It can absolutely drag it out for years; I've now been on bupe for 8 years and am terrified of coming off. Sometimes, I wish I'd just rode out the rattle, but I never could have done that-I'm a pussy for pain, particularly withdrawal pain. As for myself, I never had luck with tapering, I lack the self control to not get high; it's almost a compulsion so strong it doesn't even feel like a choice. Of course, it may not be the same for you.

Have you thought about utilizing other meds in your detox? There's clonidine for one, I've also been hearing good things about kratom and loperamide in aiding WD's. A short term benzo taper could also help you a lot .(I have a "detox stash" full of this type of stuff).

I'd say it's very important to plan your detox; don't just jump into one you're not prepared for.

OP, no offense..but it doesn't really sound like you're even in habit territory, but it sounds like you're getting close. IDK, unless you have Godlike willpower and just cold-turkey for a month and then limit it to once a week or so, you're gonna end up on the opiate merry-go-round like everybody else...

Opiates have a lot of universal appeal....a lot of normal everyday people like the feeling but are determined to avoid becoming a "junkie"...It usually doesn't work out that way. There's really not a middle ground with heroin, you're either on it or off it. Once you're trying to control it and tell yourself it's not taking over your life, it usually already has! It's not like cocaine or meth...it kind of sneaks up on you when you're not looking!

Completely stop or accept the inevitable...In the 15 years doing it, I've watched so many people go from the honey-moon phase to full-blown in 6 mos to a year...A lot of people are in denial about it for a few months, and when you reach the point that you're at, sad to say but,9 outof 10 times people usually just keep going with it....

The reason why maintenance drugs like suboxone and methadone are so popular... is that tapering on ones DOC, like heroin, or oxy, ect.. is extremely difficult.

While yes, it is technically possible.. the vast majority of people can't do it. Hues is right.. you should really just stop because one day very soon you're going to stretch it too far and wake up the next day in full withdrawal and be in a very bad way.

With a habit like yours I'd just stop abruptly, get some valium and eat that for 4 days and then just suck it up when it comes to the rest of the withdrawal really. It's not going to be that bad.