• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extended DHC Withdrawal? 2 1/2 weeks off and have major RLS and anxiety.

WinterJuniper

Greenlighter
Okay, so this is my first post. I have been on opiates on a daily basis for about seven or eight months now, primarily because I have major sleep difficulties and OPs are the only thing that will help. It also happens that I really enjoy them, but I do not take them during the day, ever. Only at night, a few hours before I want to go to sleep. It helps me unwind and then sleep soundly, which otherwise would not be possible. I have to say, even if I had been able to sleep, it became a part of my nightly routine and I would not have wanted to give it up, at least not completely.

Over the last four months I was taking dihydrocodeine sustained release tablets (Continus). I took anywhere from 60 to 120 mg per night. There were a couple of times when decided I wanted to go a few days without them, though (just to minimize dependence and tolerance issues), so every once in a while I would stop taking them and go through a minor withdrawal, which basically just consisted of anxiety, tension, irritability, and a few unbelievable headaches. I never had any muscle aches, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Anyway, this last time I actually ran out of medication, but I thought maybe it was for the best, because I work at a high intellectual level and I didn't feel like I was functioning at my peak mental capacity on the drug. (Of course that was why I got on it in the first place, really, because just try to make your brain work properly no sleep!). That was two and a half weeks ago. I expected to go through a minor withdrawal and then see whether I could sleep or not, but basically have everything go back to normal. But that's not what happened.

In the beginning, my withdrawal was pretty much absent. I went through the first week feeling basically nothing at all. It was like, this is it? I thought maybe my previous minor withdrawals had somehow conditioned me against them. I know that isn't typical, but I have always had a strange physiology and react oddly to substances, so I thought maybe my brain had just learned to adapt. It is rare, but there are people out there who are completely immune to opiate dependence, and I was not taking a very large dose.

About a week ago, however (a week and a half after stopping the DHC), I started having a lot of anxiety, which is definitely chemically related, because there is no other reason for it. Then I started having bad restless leg symptoms. I can't relax at all at night now, and have to take benzos to knock me out, but I definitely don't want to get in the habit of doing that. I know RLS type symptoms are common during withdrawal, but this far into it? Is that normal? If so, how long is it supposed to last? I have never had anything like this before, so I really hope this is withdrawal related and not something permanent I have to deal with. Whatever it is, I know the DHC caused it.

I am on my way to the drugstore now to buy some potassium and Immodium, but I am hoping to hear from others about whether they have experienced anything like this. Thanks.