• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Did your benzo habit render opioids ineffective?

Vieno

Greenlighter
Did you find opioids less effective in terms of all their effects (not just euphoria) for some time after chronic benzo use?

I've found out that sometimes chronic GHB/phenibut use causes a unique syndrome where among other symptoms opioids lose their function. Basically, some folks who abused GHB or phenibut found themselves almost immune to opioids after quitting the drug and entering withdrawal (possibly after the acute phase). I'm now trying to find out if this happens with benzos too.

Thanks!

P.S. I expect this to have occurred at most extremely rarely, so don't be surprised to not have experienced this.

i have not experienced this myself. they do absolutely ruin an opiate high for me though.

No, not me personally.

I've noticed, that on a large dose of benzos, it can really blur and tone down the euphoria of opioids. A nice therapeutic dosage of benzos (particularly valium or a benzodiazepine with potent muscle relaxant properties) can ADD to the euphoria and the nod of opioids.

I've never heard of this happening. In fact.. the opposite is usually the case.. the majority of people feel benzos and opiates enhance each other (as dangerous as the combination is).

Thx for the responses, keep 'em coming

@M.Scagnattie, yeah surely they do usually synergize well but what I'm intersted is the effect of chronic benzo use on opioid effects. I'm not talking about using benos and opioids simultaneously. I'm curious if chronic benzo use can change the brain in such a way that opioids do not function well anymore.

i have not experienced this myself. they do absolutely ruin an opiate high for me though.

^ ^

I think the opiate high has some magic, mixing benzos with them makes sedative soup which isn't quite as euphoric for me it's more of a brain shutdown type of feeling.

Thx for the responses, keep 'em coming

@M.Scagnattie, yeah surely they do usually synergize well but what I'm intersted is the effect of chronic benzo use on opioid effects. I'm not talking about using benos and opioids simultaneously. I'm curious if chronic benzo use can change the brain in such a way that opioids do not function well anymore.

I know what you were talking about and I've still never heard of that happening. I know tons of chronic benzo users who love opiates.

I know that people in benzo withdrawal cannot enjoy opiates in that state. When I was in detox there was a kid there who had done a 7 bag shot before coming in there, but he was in such severe benzo withdrawal that he couldn't enjoy it at all. I think that's common sense though, that you are unlikely to enjoy a drug if you are feeling like shit from the withdrawals of another one.

^ ^

I think the opiate high has some magic, mixing benzos with them makes sedative soup which isn't quite as euphoric for me it's more of a brain shutdown type of feeling.

Same with me. When I was prescribed benzos I would always take less when I knew I was going to be taking opiates that day since the benzos limited my brains ability to feel things, which meant feeling less euphoria than usual from opiates.

I like benzos with my opiates, I have found diazepam to be my favorite. I prefer to eat about 10 mg of valium (or equiavalent strength alpraz or clonaz if that what I am going with, any higher doses make me too tired and it ruins my high) and once I start to feel it around 30 minutes I rip a line and its great. I find even taking a little too much of the benzo is less than desirable and would rather have used less. Like with Diaz 20 mg will just make me want to sleep, but 5 still adds a little nice relaxation to the opiate high, 10 is just right, though.

As has been said in this thread, it's clearly a case of different strokes for different folks.

Opiate high for me has always been paradoxically subtle AND unbeatably powerful in its effect on my subjective sense of being. I don't shoot my opiates because I'm NOT into rushes or euphoria.

I love opiates because they bring me up from my severe depression and make me feel like a normal person. More normal than I've ever known. Not even normal really, more like the complete person I am supposed to be - flaws and all - and I can do 'normal' things with interest and engagement.

On rare occasions, I want to get high and feel really good - euphoria. Then I smoke crack or snort something nice. For me, that's euphoria.

I've never had anything remotely close to euphoria from benzos. Before I had anxiety issues, I tried to abuse benzos to get high, and I thought they were the most boring and useless substance. They made me feel dull and stupid - like alcohol without any feel-good factor. This is just my subjective experience for what it's worth - don't hate on me.

Later, I developed anxiety through stupid abuse of stimulants and also issues in life that I couldn't cope with anymore. Then I was scripted diazepam and I found out what benzos are about. They take away, so effectively, anxiety that feels like it's killing you (literally - shortness of breath, tight throat, pounding heart). They fucking work.

My 2 cents: it depends on the person, but if you're like me who only gets therapeutic value from benzos, don't bother mixing them with opiates. Chronic use of both of those substances has made it hard for me to get a nice opiate experience like I used to.

My fault. I abused shit when I didn't need it. Just my take on the issue.

Last edited:
To answer the thread's title: No, speaking strictly on therapeutic / analgesic terms, not at all.

To talk a bit more generally about this, some notes I've experienced and learned about my own usage:

1) DIFFERENT benzodiazepines have different impacts on DIFFERENT opioids.

2) For example, for me, mixing alprazolam with oxycodone takes away a lot of that "stimulation" many associate with oxycodone and that in and of itself, makes oxycodone unique from other opioids (just like all opioids possess unique traits, at least to those of us who have more experience with opioids than we'd like to admit) and it becomes more sedating but neither the alprazolam or oxycodone are inhibited from doing what I'm taking them for: panic disorder&PTSD, and chronic pain, respectively.

3) Refer to the next note's first sentence, I'll even restate it since copying and pasting it is worth it if it means life or death:
tricomb said:
I do not condone the irresponsible and uninformed abuse of ANY drugs, especially combining CNS depressants, IIRC since RX drugs account for more deaths per year than all other drugs combined. However, most of these fatalities arose from reckless/careless/accidental combination of MULTIPLE CNS depressants that in this day and age, people should REALLY recognize by this point.... Benzodiazepines or Alcohol + Opioids when taken as a means of abuse or therapeutic relief via an incompetent/uncaring/uninformed prescribing physician
That being said, I, and other friends who are nearest and dearest to me, have reported unreliable but statistically significant increases in the more, recreational aspects associated and sought out by addicts such as euphoria, nodding especially (allowing the user to escape from really, not deal with life and it's infinite problems that WILL arise because that's LIFE.), sedation, tranquility, etc. For Harm reduction purposes, I'm not going to be discussing which combinations of which opioids with which benzodiazepines produce the most euphoria or the most nod, etc.

4) I do not condone the irresponsible and uninformed abuse of ANY drugs, especially combining CNS depressants, IIRC since RX drugs account for more deaths per year than all other drugs combined. However, most of these fatalities arose from reckless/careless/accidental combination of MULTIPLE CNS depressants that in this day and age, people should REALLY recognize by this point.... Benzodiazepines or Alcohol + Opioids when taken as a means of abuse or therapeutic relief via an incompetent/uncaring/uninformed prescribing physician, no matter how you spin it, this combination KILLS. It is LETHAL. I have experienced this myself, coming an inch from death after combining the same doses of the same CNS depressants that I have been on for years. It is roulette. It killed my family and my friends.

-What is it? What is roulette? Roulette is reckless drug abuse.
Roulette is what this forum seeks to destroy. As a harm reduction focus forum, we have to make sure that people are informed that they are spinning the barrel, (or dice if you prefer a sugarcoated analogy) when you mix CNS depressants, you have to take steps to ensure that you are not going to pose a danger to you or others. This is the most basic courtesy, decency, humanity, that a drug user can do to make up for all the reasons we use drugs, which of course vary highly on a case by case, patient by patient, addict by addict basis. One size does not fit all. One of my best friends and relatives of mine was taking therapeutic, as-directed doses of fentanyl patches in combination with clonazepam or lorazepam, there was no high that was being chased, only seeking ANY relief from the horrific autoimmune, malignant/cancer induced unrelenting chronic pain, anxiety, and nausea from the chemotherapy/radiation/surgeries.

--One day, seemingly out of nowhere, I found myself screaming, on the phone with 9-1-1 EMT dispatch, that we didn't have the four minutes the dispatch said it would take for the ambulance to get there, while trading off CPR duty with another relative. In my panic as I tore the house apart looking for some Narcan since we kept a lot of it on hand, and despite there previously having been vials of it + IV gear in practically every room of the house, I couldn't find any. I found Epinepherine, which was rapidly administered as CPR wasn't working after nearly breaking ribs while giving it, but it was too late.

You may be wondering why we kept Naloxone/Narcan so religiously in every part of the house, and it's the same point I was making before. This very thing had happened multiple times, my loved one had accidentally overdosed despite there being zero change in the doses of the CNS depressants that were prescribed and administered, no environmental changes/factors, to this day I do not understand why this happened because even after all of this.

To this day, I take my prescribed opioids and benzodiazepines in combination as directed/as needed. I don't take my prescriptions for recreational purposes anymore due to the impact my drug abuse was having on my ability to provide for my family and live up to (Or even be AWARE OF) my potential....but I have definitely noticed this very strange phenomenom, of seemingly random days playing out very differently than I was expecting.

One day for example, taking the same doses that have been taken for years, say....2mg alprazolam and 200mg morphine. There are random times and days where I will feel extremely sedated and respiratory depression strong enough to cause concern. Other days, it feels like those 2mg alprazolam + 200mg morphine felt like I took 5mg diazepam and 10mg hydrocodone, and I have excessive panic attacks and pain flares and feel the need to take more medication, but my experiences with how unreliable mixing such strong CNS depressants is enough to not give into such temptation and just ride out the pain and pull through the panic.

TL;DR read part 1.

I know that people in benzo withdrawal cannot enjoy opiates in that state. When I was in detox there was a kid there who had done a 7 bag shot before coming in there, but he was in such severe benzo withdrawal that he couldn't enjoy it at all. I think that's common sense though, that you are unlikely to enjoy a drug if you are feeling like shit from the withdrawals of another one.

Same with me. When I was prescribed benzos I would always take less when I knew I was going to be taking opiates that day since the benzos limited my brains ability to feel things, which meant feeling less euphoria than usual from opiates.

Yes when I was in severe benzo withdrawal, I could not enjoy opiates like a normal person because I was in so much pain that I could not enjoy anything like a normal person. I would do enough heroin to be almost overdosing and it would only take away about 25% of the pain I was in. But it's not as if I couldn't feel the heroin or the heroin didn't work, it worked just fine, it was just harder to "enjoy" it.

Eh, I like benzo's w/ opiates but anything other than xanax kinda muddles the opiate high, and never does serve its purpose for me which is I wanna get a nod..I SWEAR its so annoying when I see people who took a few xans and are noddin the fuck out...Even w/ like methadone and few benzos(i kno dangerous) I can't nod. But add a little weed and that always seems to do the trick for the nod. Honsestly I've given up on the nod, I never get one and I know my tolerance isn't that godamn high..Its weird it always happens the 1st time or two I try an opiate then after that nothing. Hydro 1st two times noddin, oxy first few times nod,methadone nod pods nod, then after the first couple times it goes away. SUCKS!

When combined with opioids they seem to increase the nod/sedation, but no significant increase, and definitely no decrease to euphoria really, separate to me finding etizolam slightly euphoric on it's own. I tried this combination a month ago and started nodding hard on oxycodone when there usually is none, dropped my [weed] pipe five times, surprisingly didn't break it. Personally, I don't like that whole experience, and without someone else there with some experience with these things and some narcan, I try not to fool around with the combination. Too dangerous, by themselves they're fairly straight-forward, either one being pretty hard to overdose on when taken individually. Well, benzos by themselves can cause you to be kind of a moron. That in itself leads to more benzos->positive feedback loop->death and other dangerous things occur.

Never felt benzo withdrawal, but as discussed opioid euphoria is subtle and unique, and can be potentiated/inhibited by different things for different people, sometimes seemingly paradoxical.

Took 100mg of oxycodone, which should have been plenty, the day after my father passed away suddenly (not sick, well, visibly) and felt nothing. 0. One of the few things that have disturbed what should have been a typical dose.

This thread is a great example of how people lack reading comprehension skills.

Are you still using benzos? I have found that mixing benzodiazepines with opiates will often detract from the euphoria, and greatly enhance the sedative effect.

I generally only use benzos with either weaker opiates or a much lower dose of a strong opiate.

I won't go into the dangers of this combination because they have been covered pretty thoroughly.

Peace

I am not interested in the combination of a benzo and an opioid. I'm interested in if you noticed diminution in opioids' effects after chronic benzo use. Read the headline again. Some of you did understand my question correctly but I gotta say most of you answered something I never asked :p I hope I get more answers to my original question (headline) but thanks for all the answers so far!

Second to that.

I am not interested in the combination of a benzo and an opioid. I'm interested in if you noticed diminution in opioids' effects after chronic benzo use. Read the headline again. Some of you did understand my question correctly but I gotta say most of you answered something I never asked :p I hope I get more answers to my original question (headline) but thanks for all the answers so far!

Haha!

I'm guilty of this.

I try to write posts that have useful information and are relevant to the topic at hand, and they are often lengthy.

Then I read this one-liner post -

which I found insulting and unhelpful, and then I realised that I was had indeed misread the question and babbled away off-topic.

Then I wrote this post in response, which further wastes space and makes it harder to find relevant information.

Think it's time to take a break from internet use.

I just made a post with reference to this. I have been caught up in using Alprazolam for the past 3 weeks and, maybe 2-3 days w/o using, using about .5-1.5 mg a day (often snorting half and eating half, so might not be getting the full bang for my buck). I just today noticed I can't seem to get high off my heroin, it is odd. It could just be a tolerance spike, or a weak bag, but I find it weird and think it could be minor benzo w/d rendering the heroin much less useful.