• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo dosages for stimulant comedown (no tolerance)

jess046

Bluelighter
I was just wondering what the general idea is for the dosage of particular benzos for a stimulant comedown? I only take benzos when I absolutely need them, which is usually a meth comedown. MDMA and mephedrone are usually ok without extra help, but I can't take the insomnia and get a weird tremor from meth that only benzos fix. Plus vasconstriction, as I have circulation problems!

Anyway, my point is, I've been noticing that it's become increasingly difficult to get any relief with benzos or at least at the level I desire. Now, I shouldn't have any tolerance as I only use at most once a week, on a comedown or maybe once more on the off chance I have a panic attack for other reasons. But I'm still worried my dosages are getting to high and I don't want to raise them too high for fear of an adverse reaction + raising my tolerance too high for the times I actually need my benzos for anxiety, unrelated to comedowns. Plus, benzos are hard to get and I don't want to go through another round of doctor shopping anytime soon. Am I doing something wrong my benzo dosages? And is mixing benzos a bad idea? Is trying to actually fall asleep and stay asleep impossible on a meth comedown?

This was my last 'benzo cocktail' for a meth/mephedrone comedown:
- 0.5mg Klonopin: started to get muscle tremor in fingers. Took the pill and it went away pretty quickly. Was good for three hours or so, just lay in bed and got some rest but could not fall asleep for my life.

- 1mg Ativan: Started to get the tremor again, plus I was conscious of my heart beating too fast. Wanted to get back to baseline and avoid a panic attack. Ativan is mildly affective and I am able to lie down again and get a couple of hours more rest. No sleep.

- 5mg Valium: Can't stand the insomnia anymore, so I give in and take my valium. Also worried because it's 15+ hours since my last dose and my heart is still thumping like a jack hammer (I always have a racing heart for days after dosing, which worries me tremendously in regards to cardiovascular damage, but that's another post...). Amazingly, the Valium works and I get some sleep.

- 2mg Valium: Wake up at 3 in the morning. Can't get back to sleep, but anxiety free. After a couple of hours of mildly entertaining hallucinations (sleep deprivation can be fun when the benzos take away the anxiety!), I get bored and take some more V. Takes another hour before I fall asleep.

I ended up waking up at 10 in the morning, still tired as fuck, but unable to sleep. This is my biggest beef with speed comedowns. is there a better way to handle it? Is it better to take one big dose of benzos and hope you just pass out for 12 hours? I'm sick of waking up and having to redose and waiting to fall asleep again.

I also have tempaz (5mg) which I have used with some success. Taken one and a half of those with some Valium and Ativan before to get to sleep for about 5 hours. But I'm still not getting what I want, which is no muscle tremors (I need a benzo with strong muscle relaxant qualities), lowers my heart rate (can't sleep even if I'm tired if my heart is racing), puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep! I used to be able to just take a tempaz and be good, but these days it's harder and I'm worried about the amount and variety of benzos I'm taking. on top of after being out at parties and drinking (although I barely drink when I'm high, really).

It just gets to a point where I'd do anything for a nice, peaceful sleep. My body is so tired, but it just won't fall asleep, and I feel the benzos aren't working. Either I'm not dosing properly in terms of the benzos I'm choosing, when I take them and how much. So advice is appreciated!

And harm reduction of course. I don't want to end up in the midst of a harrowing meth comedown and make the wrong choice, which are very easy to make when you feel so ill and tired and will do anything to fall asleep. For me benzos have always been a trial and error, but I just can't work out the right cocktail anymore. Ativan and Valium used to work well for sleep and anti muscle spasms, but it's just not quite working anymore. Temaz also seems to have much worse rebound anxiety. Valium is barely noticeable for me, and Ativan is a breeze (of course much too short duration on its own, but great for major attacks on comedowns).

I know that a lot of it is about just waiting it out, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong and wasting my benzos. Do people comedown off meth successfully without benzos? I can't even imagine it. My muscle tremors are so bad without benzos I think I'd end up having a seizure or something. Plus I just can't see how having your heart beat so fast for so long and with no food wouldn't lead to a heart attack. We're talking two-three days if you only dose for one night (which most people don't, I guess, but I never go beyond one night, up to 3points atm but that's rare for me).

Once or twice a week is more than enough to build a tolerance to benzos. Also, you're using quite small doses spaced rather far apart. You'd get about as much relief licking the dust from the inside of an empty Xanax bottle as you will taking 2mg of Valium. 5mg of Temazepam is pretty useless as well. I had no idea Temazepam came in 5mg. I thought it only came in 15 and 30mg.

A good dose for a stimulant comedown for you would probably 1-2mg of Klonopin all at once, or 3-4mg of Ativan, 30-60mg of Temazepam, 20-20mg of Valium, etc...

Shit really? I've been basing my doses on the what it says on the medication bottle...no wonder I've been finding it hard to sleep. Why do they prescribe such small doses then?

I am a small person btw, only weigh around 47 kilos. I don't know if weight comes into play here.

How much time do you need to put between doses of benzos to limit tolerance? Is once a week for a comedown really going to affect tolerance?

And is the 'all at once' approach the best way? Because usually I sort of try and work my way up to where I feel happy. So I'll start with something like klonopin or ativan to prevent a panic attack and then something a bit stronger later on for sleep (which doesn't happen anyway with my doses, but helps with anxiety). 15mg Valium worked once for sedation, when I freaked out and took a shit load because my muscle tremor was so bad. I thought at the time it was too much, though. The maximum dosage for valium is 15mg, no? I guess not if you have a high tolerance...but generally speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
serotonin syndrome?

I think it is pretty standard practise to take benzos on the comedown of any stimulant. There is no chance of serotonin syndrome...if you go to hospital for over-stimulation they will give you valium...can you explain how you have come to this strange conclusion?

I don't care about feeling depressed/unmotivated, that's not how I feel on the comedown. I feel physically weak and anxious: dizzy, tired and sick. I just want to sleep really. After a good sleep, I'm fine.

I have no access to opioids and I'm not really keen on getting an opiate addiction on top of using meth.

Anyway, does anybody else have some more informative responses?

You can take 15mg Valium (diazepam) and be just fine. In emergency stimulant overdose situations, doctors will give you Valium or Ativan (lorazepam), generally IV. So yes, it is safe to take benzos on a stimulant comedown. It's actually recommended. 15mg of Valium is a good dose to start with.

Mixing methamphetamine with things other than opioids and benzos can be a dangerous practice. Your best bet is to reduce the frequency with which you use amphetamines and therefore reduce the frequency with which you use benzos. Tolerance to both drugs will increase pretty quick if you use this combination on a daily basis.

jess, if ya not getting the desired effect from your normal dose just neck another 2 pills at a time until you get the effect you feel you need to sleep properly. Do u not smoke weed or hash I use to find hash spot on when I was on a come down.

Well, I certainly don't use on a daily basis. I only use once every week or a fortnight if I'm busy with other stuff.

I still don't get what the other poster's problem is...and I think it's really silly to misinform people about using benzos on a comedown as a 'dangerous' drug practise. If that's how a doctor at a hospital treats over-stimulation than I'm inclined to believe it's a safe practise...'High doses' would probably be a lot more than the 5mg of Valium I've been using and the 100mg of meth (at the tail end when most of it has been metabolised anyway). If you're actually overdosing, which is not what this thread is about, then popping a bottle of valium is probably a bad idea and that's when you call the ambulance. But we are talking about coming down off a stimulant high...I really doubt 'serotonin syndrome' would be a concern unless you were popping 5htp supplements or an antidepressant. maybe issues related to sudden drop in blood pressure or heart rate, but not serotonin syndrome of all things...I don't understand what fear this mongering is about. My question was pretty straight forward and didn't really require this pointless tangent about 'dangerous drug combinations.' You don't have to reply to my thread if you don't have a helpful response and just want to be judgmental.

The only thing that could be dangerous about it is if you start 'necking' pills to get to the desired affect and end up in a coma, but that is unlikely combined with the stimulation from using substances such as speed. In any case, that's why I've asked - to avoid that precise situation. I guess I'll try Valium 5mg at the beginning of the comedown and 10 when I want to sleep? Just don't want to waste my pills if I don't have to, I actually do get panic attacks every few months so I don't want to use all of my prescription on comedowns! And they don't give them out like candy where I'm from...

Normally 5mg Valium is good when I'm sober to get rid of any panic symptoms, but I guess you have to take the extra stimulation into account. I'm mostly concerned with getting my heart rate down, though, having it beat so fast and for so long really worries me. Valium seems to be the only benzo that actually helps with a fast heart beat.

Yes, of course with daily use you will get tolerance, but how about with weekly use? I swear I have had an increase in tolerance toward all benzos, which irks me, as 1mg of Ativan used to be perfect for my panic attacks. But I have never used more than twice a week, and gone months with no use at all so I do not see how this is possible.

Last edited:
I take 1-2mg Xanax ( I have a script for 9 months now ) when I am ready to sleep after up for a few days. I also take 1mg as needed during my binges when things get sketchy.
Another drug I take is Clonidine 0.1 mg prescribed by my Psychiatrist. I take 1/4 or a whole pill to reduce the physiological effects of my Adderall. It reduces my heartrate.

How hard is to get through your head that I made no mention of SSRIs?

This thread is about benzos. I don't know where you got that idea from. I'd appreciate it if you would stop hijacking my thread with posts with content unrelated to what I am asking. I wanted to know standard dosages for benzos. That is all.

"Jesus..."

How hard is to get through your head that I made no mention of SSRIs?

This thread is about benzos. I don't know where you got that idea from. I'd appreciate it if you would stop hijacking my thread with posts with content unrelated to what I am asking. I wanted to know standard dosages for benzos. That is all.

"Jesus..."

Sorry, I could sware I saw SSRI mentioned in ur post. Must have been morning sloppyness xD