Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
w&d: blomkamp
s: damon, foster, copley

elysium-firstposter-full2.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/?ref_=sr_1

this film is fuck yes from start to finish. blomkamp could have been to halo just as jackson is to lord of the rings. spewing that fell through. i dunno, after this that project might get some new life.

this is how you make good high budget sci fi. make the world rich with creative life and solid concept tech. underplay the characters and have no one playing an indestructible keanu role. remove all unnecessary cliche.

most importantly

make the visual effects support the story, not the other way around.
and
only incorporate story elements which actually matter to the plot.

5/5
the climactic political statement pertinent to a current controversy was nicely added. you'll have to be blind not to see it.

I saw it on imax and it was pretty rad. I don't think we've had great action movies in the last 10 years and this fills that gap. Its very much a complete movie and I think the acting was strong enough through the whole thing to make it really solid. Great stuff.

the climactic political statement pertinent to a current controversy was nicely added. you'll have to be blind not to see it.

You mean how this film was financed and will be profited on by the very people most likely to live on a utopian space station and look down on us Morlocks, right? I can't help but notice how the plot steered more towards fighting odds to find a cure than about murdering the fuck out of some Eloi.

I made a brief note about this film in the "What you've seen" thread, but it's worth repeating that I loved the hell out of it, though its flaws keep it from true greatness. I also downloaded the soundtrack the next day, and have been listening to it daily since.

It was never available in IMAX here, and that gives me a sad.

Solid 4/5.

Anyone else notice the "Christ" symbolism?

I liked the film. I might check out the soundtrack.

It would be cool if Neill got to make his District 9 sequel, as he wants to... And it'd be awesome to see him do a Halo film. His style would work it well.

Last edited:
For my part, I saw little overt Christ symbolism. It's certainly a lesser offender in that regard than Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" or Nolan's "The Dark Knight" (though I love the latter film).

If you're interested in the soundtrack, my favorite tracks include:
"Heaven and Earth" (#1)
"Unauthorized Entry" (#3)
"Darkness" (#5)
"You Said You'd Do Anything" (#7)
"The Raven" (#13)

There are other great tracks (IMO), but I'll let you find those. They're all on Youtube, btw.

Anyone else notice the "Christ" symbolism?

Not sure what you're referring to. Please elaborate. :)

Spoiler:
NSFW:
You mean like him having to sacrifice himself for the girl, and so that the people could come to Elysium?

Though subliminal religious symbolism are in many movies.

IMO the movie started slow, but less than halfway through once they got through the background it picked up fast and ended very well.

4/5

NSFW:
The contraption he was screwed to, as well, being where the cross was, loosely, on Jesus, or other Christ like or like Gods out there-- Being bound with. Not to get into religious debate. Also, while he was nailed to this thing, which made him strong, and super human- where the cross has carried christ through time, in his sacrifice remembered, and his message.

I don't want to get into religious debate, but I don't believe Christ had a bad idea. Love thy neighbor. Forgive. Have compassion. Understand. Yea he's not the only one with this message (well, his particular, yea), and really it should be very common, but he made it pretty far.

And it's not a bad story... At all. Great one. Great one to draw from, as it is drawn from stories, too (from "God", or what and/or whatnot).

He was stabbed in his right side, pierced under his rib/through the bottom of his ribs, although this didn't directly lead to his death. It almost did, and led to, well, meeting the girl he died for.

The robots/robotics...

Of course, healing.

Last edited:
Yet to see it, great review. Have heard some horrible stories about Foster and her character, something about her being hard to put up with/watch?

she's just got a very peculiar accent. it isn't explained (as it shouldn't be, who the hell talks about their accents, it would be stupid exposition for idiots), but it isn't in any way contrary to the universe of the film. i, personally, love shit like that. it's part of the depth and richness of the picture.

@What 23

Ah I see what you mean, some symbolic natures indeed. Thanks for sharing :)

As for the movie, if I could wait to see it on RedBox I most certainty would have instead. Some movies are worth the $10 ticket, I don't think it was worth over $10 for the night showing imo :\

Still an awesome and entertaining cinema!

Last edited:
looks like I read a few misleading negative initial reviews...

ebola

^
Though response is mostly positive, I'm seeing this shaping up to be a definite "love it or hate it" flick.

Fun fact: Neil Blomkamp was initially against casting big movie stars. He wanted to use Ninja from Die Antwoord for Matt Damon's character.

For my part, I saw little overt Christ symbolism. It's certainly a lesser offender in that regard than Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" or Nolan's "The Dark Knight" (though I love the latter film).

If you're interested in the soundtrack, my favorite tracks include:
"Heaven and Earth" (#1)
"Unauthorized Entry" (#3)
"Darkness" (#5)
"You Said You'd Do Anything" (#7)
"The Raven" (#13)

There are other great tracks (IMO), but I'll let you find those. They're all on Youtube, btw.

Cool, will probably just wait until I've seen the movie though.

Bump. Just saw this and can't figure out what the fuss is about. The sets and effects are really well done, but the ham-handed politics and oozing sentiment ruined it for me. The soft angelic shots of adorable leukemia girl were absolutely the last straw!

If the cast had delivered a sermon on social inequality while the credits were rolling, it wouldn't have seemed out of place. That's how preachy the movie felt.

Though response is mostly positive, I'm seeing this shaping up to be a definite "love it or hate it" flick.

I just thought that it was okay, but I watched it while in an abysmal mood.

ebola