• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Would an asthmatic inhaler help reduce respitatory depression?

PotatoMan

Bluelight Crew
Ive been taking a lot of codeine recently and seem to get respitatory depression from time to time with my doses... Im not asthmatic but would an inhaler reduce the resp depressuon? And how can i detox myself safely?

Bronchodilators, the active ingredients in asthma inhalers, while probably increase the amount of oxygen that your lungs take in by a marginal amount, as I'm guessing that you're not asthmatic. Some stimulants can increase your respiratory rate but that simply adds to the risk of something bad happen, due to all of the dangers inherent to poly-drug abuse. If you really feel that you can't stop cold turkey, post how much codeine you have left, what dosages you have used it at, how frequently, and I will work out a plan for you to taper off it.

No. The problem lies in the rate at which your brain tells your lungs to expand, and to which degree. The oxygen absorption rates will only be marginally increased with an inhaler, as mentioned above.

It won't help. And this sounds more of a mental thing anyway, granted you might be breathing a bit slower and shallower, but unless you are getting light headed and feeling faint is isn't really an issue. When you think about how you are breathing you can alter your resp rate and make yourself think there is something wrong. Probably well over 75% of people who say they are having breathing issues have a O2 Sat of >94%. They are getting plenty of air into their lungs and the gas exchange inside the lungs is adequate. Also I would use an inhaler without signs of bronchial inflammation because it will over dilate the lower airways. This can make you feel like you are breathing even shallower because it takes less effort to breath. Yet again, that is a mental issue but it cold cause more discomfort and it won't help at all.