• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dependance

PuristLove

Bluelighter
You use drugs more often than you are comfortable with. Perhaps every day, maybe a couple of times a week, your drug use has progressed beyond what you wanted it to be. Its taken the position of most importance in your life or maybe just begun to intrude into other areas that you find important.
It isn't like your using addictive drugs, you just smoke cannabis, or use ecstasy, or trip on acid. But even so, it feels like your use is building momentum and your unable to do anything about it.
You've started spending more money than you should on them, perhaps your selling them now in order to afford to do them more often. You can never think of anything fun to do anymore if it doesn't involve getting high. Things that once held your attention have been pushed to the background, or forced out of your life entirely.
Perhaps you've tried to quit before. Making resolutions or swearing to your friends. But then, when a few hours or a few days role around and someone offers you that joint, or that roll, you cave in and take it.
So what's going on? You have friends that use these same drugs and they don't seem to be having a problem. All you know is that you want to get high as much as possible as often as possible.
Maybe you're dependant.
People dependant on drugs aren't necessarily addicted to them. They've just allowed drugs to begin filling some need in their life, and the drug itself has become a need.
You don't want to quit doing drugs all together, and you've always heard that "if you stop and start back, you'll go right back to how you were."
Well, that old cliché isn't entirely true. While it is harder for the dependant person to moderate their usage than others, it isn't impossible. You just need a strategy.
So let's look at what works.
Setting a Goal
We've seen the way swearing them off for good falls apart. Forever seems like such a long time, and most of us just don't have that kind of willpower.
What's much easier to do is decide to take a break. At this point you need to decide how often you would like to be using drugs. Once a month, once every couple of months, twice a year?
Now, decide on a reasonable length of time to go without for your first break. It doesn't have to be the entire length of time from your first choice, but it needs to be long enough to form a substantial change in habit. Perhaps a week, two, a month?
Set this goal very firmly and make the decision that you are going to give this break a chance no matter what. Mark the date and tell yourself that that is the next time you're going to get high.
Now stick to it. You'll find that once the decision has truly been made its far easier to stick to than you thought it was going to be.
Introspection
Use this time to think about what it was that you were replacing in your life with drugs in the first place.
Were you depressed? If so get treatment. There are millions of programs to help people overcome depression and all of them are much more effective than self-medicating with feel good drugs.
Do you have low self-esteem? Explore that issue and figure out why your self-esteem is low and what you can do to change that.
Are you bored? Lonely? Do your problems simply overwhelm you? For each and every one of these issues there is an appropriate solution. Now that your time and brain cells are freed up, find ways to resolve your problems.
Doing Things
When you first decide to slow down you are probably going to be stuck sitting around, feeling like there is nothing to do. The best solution is to find some constructive way to spend your time.
Better yourself by getting involved in something you've been wanting to do but haven't had the energy or motivation for.
  • Take a class. Most community colleges offer cheap classes in all sorts of interesting subjects, as do many other programs. Learning can become a drug in its own right if you let it.
  • Exercise. Nothing will make you feel better about yourself, or healthier than tackling an exercise program. You'll discover new energy and ways of feeling great, using the bodies natural opiates- endorphins.
  • Make new friends. Meet people that don't use drugs, or don't use them as often as your other friends do. This can give you somewhere to spend your time when all of your old friends are out getting high. Perhaps now would be a time to call that person you've been avoiding since you got so wrapped up in drugs. I bet they miss you.
  • Explore spirituality. Take up meditation or yoga, start going to church again. Many of the things we experience while high on drugs, especially psychedelics, can be experienced through other outlets. Meditation, prayer, and a connection to a Higher Being can also help us feel more alive, and more in control of our own lives.
  • Family. If you have open-minded relatives, talk to them about what you've been going through. Explain to them the decisions you've made. They can be an incredible support, and well most likely volunteer to help you in any way they can. If you don't have such open-minded family members, instead of discussing these things with them, just give them some of your time. Most likely they love you and have been wondering why they haven't seen as much of you.
And there are dozens of other available methods. The trick is to move drugs out of that #1 spot and into a more appropriate place to become a well-rounded person. Instead of letting life revolve around drugs, let life revolve around life and enhance it with your drug use.
Push your breaks farther and farther apart until you've reached a level your happy with. Then keep it there. You'll find that each usage is more fulfilling this way, and that something that once felt magical may just start to feel that way again.
This was written with no intention to condemn drug use, or even people that use drugs often. Each of us know ourselves better than anyone else, and only we can decide how we want to spend our short time on Earth. I only hope that I've been able to help those that truly wanted it.
Nor is this advice appropriate for addictions, as those are generally physical and require different strategies to defeat.
For more support, check out The Dark Side, here on Bluelight.
[ 03 February 2002: Message edited by: PuristLove ]

I'm not in the mood to bullshit, I am a drug addict. I smoke marijuana numerous times a day, get drunk about 3 times a week, coke/crack about 3 times a week, and heroin or other opiates about twice a week. I spend my the bulk majority of my paycheck to support my habits. I do want to be completly honest, so, I have to admit, I have NEVER been this happy in my entire life. I love my medicated lifestyle. Its stupendous. I recently took a physical and was in perfect condition, and I have been injesting drugs with this frequency for nearly a year. I do not want to live without drugs, and I never will. Drugs are stupendous.

Thats the kind of addict we all should be. A happy one. The drugs don't control you, you control the drugs.

^^^ that is so true, I wish I was as feel good as Alert, its been a long while since I have been truly happy, I miss it.

oh yes I can see what your saying lol
I smoke every day....and your right, it gets offered. I do know how to quit. I quit for a month sometimes but it's all good...this is a good post...good info..: )

i've recently realised and accepted that coke is simply not for me. i was dependent on it and i was addicted to it.
so i stay away from that whilst enjoying others that i do get on with. :D it's grand.

Take a class. Most community colleges offer cheap classes in all sorts of interesting subjects, as do many other programs. Learning can become a drug in its own right if you let it.
Yeah try taking a Organic Chemistry Course... (no need to sell then to cover your use...just get high on your own supply )

great post purist, exactly what i have been thinking lately....
I smoked some pot on sunday and then on monday realized, why am i smoking so much? (I've been smoking for about three months, with several weekly breaks). I decided that pot was the funniest thing... I don't need it, I don't even crave it- it is just there. So when I am bored, I pick it up and take it.
So anyway, Monday I decided to do another weekly break. It was cool. Monday night, I just sat at home, took a nice long bath, read some magazines, worked on some drawings, and just relaxed. It was very nice.
I definitely appreciate your post. It makes a world of sense to me.... I don't think I am a drug abuser, but definitely a user, and I definitely need (and am) looking at the reasons I enjoy using.
Thanks!
Jeremy

yah, i smoke way too much weed for a college student. Christ, im just a poor average white boy goin to a state school, and i spend bout 100$ a week on bud. So do all my buddies. Now if ur not used to the economics of college, especially when u are on your own and dont have a job, 100$ A WEEK IS A DAMN LOTTA MONEY.I often wonder what id do with that money....
lets see. If i had 100$ to NOT spend on cannibis. Hrm...
1. Books - bought all them allready
2. Movies? - goin to the theatre gets old fast
3. Girls? BWAHAHAHAHAHA fuck that, weed is better
(and much more faithful)
4.Food - well the dining hall offers free food
how shitty it might be, its still free!
5.Music - well thank god for morpheus!!
6.Raves - the only thing i DO spend money on
besides pot. Hehehehe.
7. Clothes - got enough, thx
Now lets look at my OTHER options to spend money on...This is something i experimented with last semester and well, it wasnt a good ideer in the long run.
8. HEROIN - not good if u have a test the next
day, week, or ever.
9. Acid - fun once in a while, but damn hard to
get in this school.(same for other
hallucinogenic substances)
10. Coke - fun lil toy, but e is so much better.
11. Crack - funner lil toy, but e still ownz.
12. Ecstacy - Damn. Spent over 1000$ last semester
on this shit. Does some damage to ur
brain i hear. Hard for a Comp Sci
major to be an etard these days.
Prevalent on college campuses
everywhere. Never hard to find (if
you know what ur doin that is).
Always there to suck up ur brain
cells, money, time, and GPA!
13. MARY JANE - my most faithful girl ever.
Doesnt affect my studyin, or friends,
or school in general, or body (dont
start flames on that one). ALways ther
to keep me warm and fuzzy, artistic
humerous, friendly and broke.
Ok so this was written kinda tounge in cheek, but its just to say that if ur one of those people that spend every last dollar on weed, as long as ur makin something of ur life, then so fuckin what? So what if i spend the governments evil capitalistic green papers on some plants? Fuck money, money is for tools!!!! Im learning, i love learning and ill never stop learning. I dont care if im DEPENDANT (yes i damn well am!) on Cannibis Sativa/Indica.
There are worse things u can spend ur money on. Im not saying its bad to do anything mentioned
above, they just get in the way when im trying to further my education. I dont have anything else to spend my money on, why not spend it on weed? What else am i goin to do with it?
Answer me that...
What else should i do with my money?

The Wood: I think you're missing the point. PuristLove was writing for people who are having trouble with their drug use - if you're having a good time and its not affecting you otherwise, then by all means keep going.
PL: great post. One of the best I've seen written on this topic.

Wood, This really wasn't written to try to convince anyone to cut back or quit. Just some tips and motivation for those that really do want to do so.
I think I mentioned earlier that only the individual can decide how often they want to be using, no one else can know. What's perfectly acceptable for you may be enough to help me fuck my life up.
Personally I can think of a shitload of things I would do with 100 extra bucks a week, but I'm not gonna bother to list those here.
If smoking weed every day isn't influencing your life in a negative way then personally I think that's great. I wish that I could smoke every day but when "I" do that I turn into a lazy piece of shit. Of course that is only true for me.
Pure

Yo im sorry, my bad my bad. I was high as shit when i wrote that anyways.
oh shit
damn it is bad for me!

Excellent post - going to put it up in Aus drug discussion, as most ppl there wont find it here. :)

Instead of letting life revolve around drugs, let life revolve around life and enhance it with your drug use.
sounds like something i would say ....good post

I try not to admit to myself how much the drugs mean to me. I would like to think that I could just drop everything, and live a drugfree (normal?) life - I think about it almost every day - I think I could - but I don't think I want to just yet. Maybe next week.

Purist - Great advice for those who are trying to change their lifestyles but are not quite sure where to begin. I personally was thinking just a bit earlier today about how I would like to smoke less reefer (I currently smoke a few times a week). It's not that I feel that I have a 'problem' per se - I am a successful graduate student adeptly balancing a complex and busy life. I have taken several breaks from smoking, ranging in length from a couples weeks to several months. My main reason for wanting to limit my use is just to prove to myself that life can be just as satisfying and activities just as fun without it, and with less smoking I certainly feel a clearer head and more accessible thoughts and ideas. It's around me so much though, my roommate tokes constantly and other friends inhale as well. My goal is simply to cut back, and I feel that with some discipline I can do this and enjoy getting high all the more, once it becomes less of a routine activity.
Good luck to all in finding the level of substance usage that works for you.

Instead of letting life revolve around drugs, let life revolve around life and enhance it with your drug use.
EXACTLY WHAT MY REPLY WAS! Excellent quote. Im not a drugee. I am just a dood that lives his life and happens to use chemicals once in a frequent while. My life isnt drugs, just has it in em. Kinda like ur fav tv show. U watch it all the time, but ur LIFE doenst revolve around it.
I would like to think that I could just drop everything, and live a drugfree (normal?) life
Normal?
not to dis on ur philosophy my brotha, but only a tool would regard a drugfree life as a normal life. Do u mean a normal life as defined by our pathetically blind society? By the oh-so-intelligent and equally ignorant governments of the world? Read the post about how pacifiers and glowstix were banned in New Orleans because they are associated with "raves." They want you to fall into their idea of NORMAL. Because its different for them. FUCK THAT.
LEGALIZE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol