• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants what is the cause of cravings (meth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSexypancake

Bluelighter
Hey bluelight, I was discussing this topic with some friends. One of them asked if he was clear to be drug tested, and the other told him this:

"You can stay high for days..and pass a drug test maybe in two-three days but sorry to inform you the actual chemicals used to make the meth get stored in your fatty tissue and stay in you for life. That is why drug addicts end up craving drugs. It is not just the mental aspect of being an addict like most people think it is...it is actually physical"

I responded with the following:

"I don't believe this is factual (though I could very well be mistaken). Drug tests don't analyze the drug itself, otherwise you would only test positive when high. They test constituent chemicals, which you rightly pointed out are fat-soluble.

However, I disagree that the chemicals remain for the entirety of one's life. When a person metabolizes the fatty tissue that said chemicals are being stored in, they also release the chemicals into their system. Differing drugs are more or less soluble than others, meaning some will absorb to a higher degree and even stay in one's fat cells longer. The length of time a drug will remain in one's system is extremely hard to pinpoint, as this is determined by numerous factors including weight, metabolism, exercise regimen, diet, amount of drug taken, and even the body's experience with filtering out the drug in question. These chemicals remaining indefinitely in one's fatty tissues would mean that, again, you would only test positive while high. The fact that you stop testing positive at a point means that those chemicals have been released and flushed from one's body. Minute amounts may remain after a negative test, because there is a threshold under which you will not trigger a positive result. However, even those trace amounts will eventually be released and excreted.

Also, if it were the case that these constituent chemicals remained in fatty tissue for life, by what mechanism would they trigger cravings? Cravings from meth withdrawal, for instance, are caused by the meth releasing high levels of dopamine into one's system. A person's central nervous system will gradually become accustomed to these high levels of dopamine. It is when usage stops and dopamine levels fall, that a person begins to experience cravings for more dopamine, and thereby more meth. The constituent chemicals for methamphetamine will not affect these cravings, this is all beside the fact that they could not have any kind of effect on any kind of receptor from within their eternal prison of fatty tissue.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I just felt the need to state what I believe to be the facts on this issue. If you could explain where I am incorrect or post evidence that refutes my claims, I would greatly appreciate more insight into this matter."

No one has gotten back to me on the matter, and I was hoping some of the more experienced members here at BL, could shed some light on the topic.

TL;DR: Do chemicals from meth stay in your fat forever? Also, what is responsible for cravings?

Certain toxins can stay in the body for a very long time, but generally speaking, any somewhat notable drug you take is not going to be in your system for longer than a couple days (with the exception of weed).

What is responsible for cravings? Human nature, thought patterns. The perceptual trauma of a sudden shift in neurotransmitter level ratios will be an alienating feeling in most any situation will cause the user to just retreat back to the 'familiar place.' Really just archetypical psychology.

Certain toxins can stay in the body for a very long time, but generally speaking, any somewhat notable drug you take is not going to be in your system for longer than a couple days (with the exception of weed).

What is responsible for cravings? Human nature, thought patterns. The perceptual trauma of a sudden shift in neurotransmitter level ratios will be an alienating feeling in most any situation will cause the user to just retreat back to the 'familiar place.' Really just archetypical psychology.

I agree completely.

I just found it hard to believe that the chemicals left over would have any effects if they were trapped in fat forever.

Cravings are psychological. Meth doesn't stay stored in your body for life that doesn't even make any sense! For a clean test, I would give it 4-5 days for a single use, a week for heavy, every day using, just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.