• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will Putting on a Cut Fentanyl Patch cause OD??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxy8_8

Bluelighter
I have a 75mcg/hr fentanyl patch. Other than codeine it's all I have for the next 12 hours. 12 hours sounds like nothing but I am already 28 hours into withdrawal an I am desperate and sick enough to take risks. Plus: I have a minor heart condition. I'm 23 years old and from the ages of 11 to 22 I had a severe eating disorder. I tended to alternate between months of bulimia followed by months of anorexia and vice versa in a never-ending series of hell ("bulimarexia" it's nicknamed ). It's been almost 7 months since I went to rehab (same time was I was treated for alcohol dependence) and weight is normal (well I'm 110lb at 5"6, but I WAS 78lb so I'm vastly improved). Because of that I have a heart murmur.

So while opiate withdrawal is no where near as commonly fatal of withdrawing from alcohol or benzos, it IS life-threatening for me due to the tachycardia and hypertension.

I have tried cutting off 1/16th of the patch and sticking it to my cheek inside my mouth for buccal absorption and tried just sucking/chewing on another.

Either it didn't work or the amount was too small because I didn't really feel it (I have a high tolerance at 200-300mg oxycodone a day).

Would sticking the interfered-with path on my arm cause fatal dose-dumpin? Would it even be fatal with my tolerance?

Would sticking some beaneath my tongue for sublingual absorbtion help? Or just sucking the patch?

Sorry this is my second similar post and please go easy on me mods. This IS life-or-death. Plus I do suffer legit severe chronic pain and I'm in agony.

Because of my history of alcohol addiction, my GP told me if I'm ever caught abusin my pain meds or running out too quickly, they'll cut me off. So visiting the emergency room is a no-no.

Please no lectures, almost all of us are here due to substance abuse, right?

Last edited:
We are all here for harm reduction first and foremost. Your choice isn't "life and death" it's 'death and death' by what you are stating. I have known more people to die from fentanyl than anything else, and they didn't have the health problems you do. If things are so bad, go to the ER and fess up.

Please don't fuck around with that patch. If codeine and/or loperadermine won't get you through the day, just go get proper medical attention

We are all here for harm reduction first and foremost. Your choice isn't "life and death" it's 'death and death' by what you are stating. I have known more people to die from fentanyl than anything else, and they didn't have the health problems you do. If things are so bad, go to the ER and fess up.

Please don't fuck around with that patch. If codeine and/or loperadermine won't get you through the day, just go get proper medical attention

If you think it's that serious, I'll leave that patch well alone.

I'm pretty lightweight when it comes to benzos, but I have had experience with Xanax half a dozen times in the last ten days. My heart murmur is improving with my heath and I AM prescribed Xanax for anxiety and insomnia. I think I'll err on the side of caution, take 1mg xanax and just rest (maybe try and sleep) the next several hours until I get more oxy.

Thanks for the warning :).

OK...my bad...I DO have the mylan patch...it doesn't say "mylan" anyhere but I just see adhesive, no gel :(

Fentanyl is a soul less beast of an opioid good for crazily raising tolerance and pain management.

IV the rush lasts under a minute there is no euphoria IME.

The nods I've had on it have been not like a normal opiate nod if that makes sense. One of the few opiates were a few drinks really fucking knocks you though.

Mind you I've worn a few patches at a time, usually on the heart after shaving hair off and had some bucally at the same time so :\ and I've sucked used patches, classy hey

I won't tell you what to do though because of your conditions and not risking your health just sharing my experience. I hate fentanyl

Last edited:
That must cost you a fortune in the UK - isn't Alprazolam only available via private medical services here?

Yeah, it is. I visited a couple of NHS GPs who refused to prescribe me benzo's because in the UK - unless something like the death of a parent/child/spouse or something equally drastic has happened - they are very reluctant to prescribe them. They tend to use "talk therapy" instead.

My dad witness how at times I had to go home from school - sometimes every day for weeks in a row - and how the anxiety was crippling to the point that I became a total recluse. Eventually after about my fifth hospitalization for severe panic attacks he was like "This is just fucking ridiculous!" (about the lack of treatment).
So he took me to a private doctor who was very surprised I had never even been given short term diazepam or anything. After asking me a few questions he put me on alprazolam and I will be forever grateful to him. For me, it is a miracle drug that saved my life.
I feel guilty about my dad payin for my alprazolam, but he is like CO-CEO in charge of a firm of chartered accountant so he can afford it.

I get my other prescriptions for free from the NHS, though, because there are several things I take.

A lot of your posts could be answered by just using the search engine, as you've been asking pretty basic questions that have been talked about a lot. Try and do more of your own research in the future before posting a brand new thread here in OD and cluttering up the board with the same discussions over and over again.

A lot of your posts could be answered by just using the search engine, as you've been asking pretty basic questions that have been talked about a lot. Try and do more of your own research in the future before posting a brand new thread here in OD and cluttering up the board with the same discussions over and over again.

I sincerely apologize!
I honestly do use the search engine before I post (sometimes several different times AND use google, too) and don't find what I'm looking for! I just panic sometimes and try and get things done the fastest way.
Do you have recommendations on using the BL search? Like whether it's better to be vague or very detailed in your search, what kinds of key words are most likely to yield desired results etc?

I cut my Mylan patches all the time, but you have to know your limits. You need to respect any drug, however fentanyl deserves a salute. Now that that's outta the way, first understand the bioavailability of fentanyl in all its ROA, 92% transdermal , 40-50% sublingual. So you will be losing a sizable amount. Next understand that fentanyl is really a short to ultra short acting drug, so anything other than transdermal will last mere hr or 2 at best, then you will drop sharply and WDs will be even more intense.

Good luck

As you seem to have discovered, my warning earlier may have been over cautious, but I am always cautious with that stuff.

Fentanyl is really the 'crack of opiates'. I've smoked the gel many times, but I always regretted doing it an hour after. The rush to the top is fun, but once you're there it is dizzy, nauseous and feels as you would expect a full synthetic to feel. It also gave me the absolute worst dreams and I would feel like shit in the morning.

Even thinking about doing it in the past makes me feel ashamed, I used it quite recklessly and almost any of those times could have been my last. It is an empty shell of an 'opiate' that carries extremely high risks. I think it's rarity is the only reason people seek it out and still use it for recreation.

Please use the search engine instead of creating new threads constantly every single time you have a minor question.

Status
Not open for further replies.