• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opium??

Hazed2007

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I have the opportunity to acquire some opium. I have a pretty low opiate tolerance but i do have a bit of one, usually takes like 30mg of oxycodone to get me a buzz. Basically im curious if it would even be worth it to get some opium, i know it obviously varies in potency, but in general would someone that has a bit of an opiate tolerance already be able to get high on it? I was under the impression that it was more of a mild relaxation thing and not something you really get fucked up on. Anyone have much experience with it that can provide some input?

Real opium is very rare in the US and a lot of what's sold as opium at festivals is really just incense. If you're actually getting real opium though, you can get high on it. You don't have that much of a tolerance. The main thing is to make sure you smoke it correctly.

The reason it's rare is because the opium poppy isn't widely grown in the US and it makes a lot more economical sense for the cartels to convert the opium into heroin before they move it (heroin has a lot more demand and is MUCH more valuable per gram.) The only people that really smoke opium anymore is the locals in the source countries but hey if you know people, anything is possible I'm just saying it's not common is all.

Its real opium, i can't say how potent it is though. I was just curious how much opiate content opium generally has and if its a waste of time or not.

The Brtitish pharmacopiea used to say opium is 10% morphine by weight, and approximately 1% codeine, but of course it varies regionally & seasonally. As a footnote from my 1946 pharmacopiea, it notes that most commercial opium is actually of higher content, probably 12-15%.

Take this with a humongous pinch of salt, but I expect that 10% is a reasonable guesstimate... you will have losses due to smoking too.

the best advice I've heard is to start with a ball the size of a pea and vapourise it slowly.

If you have real opium and you smoke it correctly it's not going to be a waste of time. If you can get high on 30mg oxycodone, you don't really have a tolerance. You should be able to get pretty damn high on opium.

typos

I was just curious how much opiate content opium generally has

What does that mean? OPium has a range of alkaloids in it - Are you wanting to know the content of morphine and/or codeine by weight of the total material?

It's virtually impossible to hazard a guess as to the morphine content of any batch of opium if you don't know the source and strain of the poppies from which it was created.

I was under the impression that it was more of a mild relaxation thing and not something you really get fucked up on.

Actually, you can indeed get very high on opium. Don't think that because it's a plant, it's a 'light alternative' to synthetic/semi-synthetic opioids. The raw latex scraped off a few large and healthy pods of the Tasmania variety can pack a decent punch. Take that latex and process it, refine it into a concentrated dry block of opium and you have something really strong and really long lasting. If you get good, real opium, you will need to be careful not to overdo it. You can easily have too much and it's not a pleasant feeling to be very ill, vomiting, and feverishly drifting in and out of consciousness with scary vivid images coming up suddenly as you slip off. That is NOT what it means to catch a nod. A nod shouldn't be accompanied by strong nausea while ruins the enjoyment and a scary feeling of labored breathing.

Opium is something that needs time for one to adjust to in order to find the sweet spot where you aren't getting too much nausea or histamine irritation. Once you find that spot though, you do whatever and it'll put a sparkle on your day.

I just mentioned that because opium strength varies enormously depending on a whole range of variables. So, the only thing to do is really just the same approach to anything else: start by taking a small amount. Really small. Smoke it or eat. Wait for a while, especially if you eat it because it can take a long time to really get going. See how you feel and then have a bit more, or stop when satisfied.

Personally, I think eating it is superior to smoking it. By eating it you get a full bodied, wonderfully warm, zen-like frame of mind, which lasts for a crazy long time. While smoking it can be fun, I just think it's tricky and wasteful (if you aren't practiced in it) and gives a shorter high that is pleasant but comparatively fleeting.

Take care and good luck:)

The real thing is VERY worth it to any opiate fan. I've never done pure opium, but poppy tea is quite nice. More heavy/sedating than oxycodone and produces a long-lasting buzz. As others have said, the real thing is a rarity. If dealers/smugglers are going to fuck with opium, they usually maximize it by going with heroin instead.

The iranians tend to like their opium though or it could actually be produced on US soil.

It's not all its cracked up to be, and in the US, 9 out of 10 times it won't even be opium...It could be "soapium", which is the the aforementioned "incense" people have been getting burned with since before the internet, or it could be plain old black tar heroin just mixed with some other shit to make it seem different....

Anybody who's used other opiate derivatives who gets the opportunity to try real opium will immediately know why it fell out of favor! TBH, it's nothing special, it burns weird, you have to dick around with it to even get a good hit off of it, and the high is nothing to write home about....IMO, completely worthless!

there's "drug hipsters" that have always been out there that seem to think that it gives you some special mystical high that you can't get from other opiates, but trust me, it's all bullshit! If I could get an ounce of it for super-cheap, it would be worth doing, but anyone with real opium in the US will want a fortune for a gram of it...not worth it....cop some more blues or some heroin if you wanna experience what opiates can truly be....Of course, that goes against HR...but hey

there's "drug hipsters" that have always been out there that seem to think that it gives you some special mystical high that you can't get from other opiates, but trust me, it's all bullshit!

It's not bullshit. Maybe you have never experienced it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Do you always call people who have had different experiences to you "drug hipsters"? Are you claiming to be an expert on opium whose subjective experiences trump anyone elses? There seems to be another type of drug user (or hipster, perhaps) who sees their own subjective experiences as universal truth.

Freshly scored opium, licked straight off the blade or collecting device, has something 'extra' that no other opiate/opioid has, IME. It's beautifully tranquil and has a very light psychedelic edge. It's absolutely unique. Semi-synthetic opioids have a 'mono' action, IMO. Very focused effect. Opium, with its various alkaloids, offers a layered experience.

And this next part is just my opinion, but I don't really know why people bother smoking opium. It's hard to prepare (if you're making it yourself), tricky to smoke without wasting smoke, and delivers a diluted version of the orally consumed opium experience.

I like different opiates/opioids for different occasions; heroin for smoking, oxy for fun days out with friends, fentanyl for quick relief of severe pain (or WDs). Almost all of them are great for me in some way.

I'm not gonna give you my drug resume, but if you've read a few of my post you might get a better picture of where I'm coming from...I've had opium, and I'm not impressed.....if you like opium, go ahead and do opium and trip out on the "layered experience" with all the alkaloids!

It's always psychedelic drug users with no experience actually using opiates that tout opium as having some sort of spiritual qualities that other ones don't, but God bless you if buy into that!

BlueHues, the first part of your above post makes perfect sense to me:

.I've had opium, and I'm not impressed....

That's cool. You don't care for it. Different people like different things. But what I don't get is the next part:

It's always psychedelic drug users with no experience actually using opiates that tout opium as having some sort of spiritual qualities that other ones don't, but God bless you if buy into that!

Why make sweeping generalisations and adopt an attitude of superiority? Labelling people 'drug hipsters' and making statements like "It's ALWAYS (type of person) who (does something I don't agree with)", makes it seem that you resent people with different opinions and different subjective experiences.

Why? Does it make you angry if someone has a different experience to you? Why not just offer your opinion and leave it there? Why bring in insults and condescending language?

It's nothing personal, and I'm not gonna gum up this thread with my life-story, but I've lived through a lot of drug trends over the years, and people putting opium up on a pedestal and somehow thinking it's this superior, mystical thing compared to other opiates is just one of the things that gets on my nerves....I guess because I really feel like anyone who really objectively and honestly compared it to other opiate derivatives would find it to be the same thing, just weaker....I feel like it's one of those things that's just romanticized to death! I don't dislike it, and like I said before, if someone gave me an ounce of it or if it was cheap, I wouldn't turn it down....But to pay top dollar for a small amount of it expecting something special from it, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do recommend it, fine...

All the different alkaloids in opium do offer a different experience to the various opioids availible. No, opium isnt as potent as oxycodone (for instance), if it was then alot of these opioids wouldnt have been developed in the first place.
I think theres something to be said for the history surrounding opium and what that lends to the experience aswell.
So no, its not the most potent opiate type drug(s) out there and it is awkward as hell to learn how to smoke it properly but if your a opiate fan who is looking for something different from the pills and powders, then its a good experience.