Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: RUN LOLA RUN!!!

benny trippa

Bluelighter
RUN LOLA RUN!!!

Well as I dont sleep at night and last night being deprived of the ever present use of my lap top, to come here! I came across a copy of the movie Run Lola Run in my house!
WHAT A MASTERIECE! GERMAN SCORCESE!
Although it was subtitled, most of the movie was too interesting to take my eyes off the shots! And still somehow, it was still so easy to understand what was going on, even though the german was jibberish to me!
WHAT DID THINK OF IT?

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I thought it kind of sucked.
I've only seen it once and that was a couple of years ago. It had a semi-unique structure, but other than that I wasn't very impressed. The actual story was derivitave of the many Tarantino knockoffs that came before it, the animated sequences were nothing special, and the music was TOTALLY cheesy.
I have very little desire to see it again.

Originally posted by Curious Yellow:
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I thought it kind of sucked.
I've only seen it once and that was a couple of years ago. It had a semi-unique structure, but other than that I wasn't very impressed. The actual story was derivitave of the many Tarantino knockoffs that came before it, the animated sequences were nothing special, and the music was TOTALLY cheesy.
I have very little desire to see it again.

By "Tarantino knockoffs" do you mean stories that other writer/directors knocked off from Tarantino, or the knockoffs that Tarantino is guilty of perpetrating? If you mean the latter, then you need to get your sense of time straight. "Pulp Fiction" was done in a very non-linear way whereas "Lola" was done in linear time, three times in a row.
Adios,
Steve

I meant the "former"... but I probably could have worded that sentence better.
I was referring to the actual plot of the movie, not how the story was strucutred. It reminded me of several other mediocre-to-bad films that I had seen: Killing Zoe (not technically a QT knockoff, now that I think about it), Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead, Two Days In The Valley, etc...
My main point was that the actual story was nothing original, and hence did very little for me on the basis of plot alone.

Yeah well the plot I guess you coud say was ripped off from the idea of Karma.. Do bad things and bad things follow... But if you want to say tarantino rip offs, rmember Tarantino ripped off French expresionism... But then again a good artist copies, a great one robs blindly :)
I love German stuff, I think not being in the heart of the film country, German filmakers have never been as afraid to play with the art. Look at some old German expressionist pieces. It seems to me that they've always treated film as more of a visual art form (which it is...) then anything else.

I thought it was very good. It actually reminded me of a 90 minute music film clip.
ummmm.... i am waaaayyyyyy to fucked to be answering threads...

*thumbs up*
i agree, Lola is hot/
[ 16 April 2002: Message edited by: KHsweety03 ]

Didn't think it was great to be honest (it was overhyped a bit for me). But I did like it.

I didn't really like it, I hate reading subtitles, and I just found the plot retarded.

It was great, but The warrior and the princess (the film he did after RLR) is even better... you should see that one if you like RLR...
Originally posted by pr0ficient:
I didn't really like it, I hate reading subtitles, and I just found the plot retarded.
You are missing a lot bro... Films are usually better if people speake in languages like french, spannish etc... :)

I thought the movie rocked!! The music was so good..I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I even got the soundtrack on cd...I listen to it when I walk to work...get's my pumped :)
I'm definelty gonna see The Warrior & The Princess.....

I'm bumping this thread because I just watched the dubbed version of this movie.

It's always been one of my favorites, but I've always seen the subtitled version, the dubbed one, while still a good movie, was highly disappointing.

Lola's voice was just sooooo cheesy it made me cringe.

Any other thoughts?

josh_nexus said:
I thought it was very good. It actually reminded me of a 90 minute music film clip.

Funny you should say that because Tom Tykwer, the director actually made music videos before films.

Run Lola Run is one of my favourite films, but the small screen doesn't do it any justice.

run lola run is one of the only movies i was ever able to enjoy while rolling.. if you get distracted, the important events are repeated again twice :)

^^^^^
Exactly - if you've seen it once, you've seen it 3 times! I liked it but don't care if I never see it again. I read somewhere that the film was created for Franka Potente, which seems to have done the trick and helped her get the lead female role in the Bourne Identity. Has she been in anything else recently?

anatomy 2? it's the sequel to a german horror movie set in a medical school.. the first one wasn't terribly good, so i haven't seen the second..

i liked this movie. it's not one of my favorites, but it didn't suck.

and yes, lola was hot. definitely scored more points for the movie.

I like this film as well although I would not care if I never saw it again. I definitely think watching a film in the native tongue is much better and I despise dubbed movie so much.