View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Scientists Test Meth Addiction 'Cure'

poledriver

Bluelighter
Scientists Test Meth Addiction 'Cure'

927858-0-20130403180544.jpeg

A drug addict shoots up a "speedball,, a combination of heroin and crystal meth.
(AP Photo/Guillermo Arias)

(NEWSER) – Scientists are testing a drug that may 'cure' meth addiction, and early results are good. Ibudilast is used in Japan and Korea to treat asthma sufferers and stroke victims, but US scientists believe it may also block methamphetamine cravings in the brain, reports the Huffington Post. "Very preliminary results would indicate that Ibudilast may dampen craving and improve cognitive functioning," says one UCLA researcher. If further tests by the FDA prove successful, the drug could be approved by 2018.

One national survey puts the number of meth addicts in the US at 439,000, and the only current treatment available to them is rehab and counseling. The scientists behind the trial say another option is sorely needed. "When you're on meth, your whole brain is saying, 'I need meth,'" says the researcher. The drug could change that. "You could say, 'You know, rather than calling my dealer right now, I'm going to say no.'"

With some comments -

http://www.newser.com/story/165591/...rt&utm_medium=clearchannel&utm_campaign=story

They're also doing trials of the same drug for heroin addiction. Said study done was on an entire 11 meth addicts...urgh. Something to do with glial cells, they say. Interesting, hope it works!

Heroin was for morphine addictions, why not give us sufentanyl take away vials instead?

Since meth is mainly psychologically addictive how would this drug work exactly? Is it literally going to stop the user from thinking?

Heroin was for morphine addictions, why not give us sufentanyl take away vials instead?

something to do with tolerance increasing indefinitely

p.s if this is supposed to work for both uppers and downers a little voice is telling it me it won't work well at all , just a hunch.

^ There was a hint of sarcasm in that post.

However, if it was offered, I wouldn't protest. And hey, tolerance with sufentanyl? What, they add an extra 1 ug every week, so what? (even that would probably be too much)

Sorry, it's sufentanil that I was referring to. The same drug used in the Moscow hostage crisis. But hey, why not Carfentanil... dosages mean little.

Way too many edits. Way too few happy thoughts.

I read the article from the huffington post, seems like they gave WD addict the choice of $20 or oxy when sick. I find it hard to believe addicts in WD without opiated will choose opiates over money regardless of the drugs they are given. Maybe being an addict on subs has made it so I can't see being like "no opis ill take the 20" unless I am not sick. I find it hard to believe brain drugs without removing the physical sickness can make you stop using. Sure part of it is behavior but the part that keeps you is the sickness.

Kinda like in the movie blade how he gets a "cure" that keeps him good for a while (vampire movie) you can't just expect someone to "forget" they are sick and drugs make them better. It very well can work on meth and coke perhaps.

This is stupid. The only way anyone is ever going to be "cured" of a meth addition is if they willfully decide to stop using, because they understand that it's hurting them.

Using in spite of knowing it's hurting them is what addiction is. Anything that can help folks quit is very welcome in my book.

^ My knee-jerk intuitive reaction is that nothing really can, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I recently found a cure for methamphetamine addiction as well, though it is not well publicized. It is called dexedrine and it's from the 60s, cures cravings and works great. Why dont they just give them focalin and say fuck it there is no cure? it'd be cheaper and would satisfy everyone.

AppleCore said:
This is stupid. The only way anyone is ever going to be "cured" of a meth addition is if they willfully decide to stop using, because they understand that it's hurting them.

I think the problem here is that we're conceptualizing the subject as unitary and static; the human experience is a complex, contradictory, multifaceted bundle of urges that change from moment to moment. The idea is that the medication will disrupt strong motivating impulses from operantly conditioned cues. Such disruption will allow for more effective long-term management of behavior.
I'm not sure where people are going with comparisons to maintenance medications that are in the same class as the prior compound of abuse--what similarities are you illustrating?

ebola

I think the problem here is that we're conceptualizing the subject as unitary and static; the human experience is a complex, contradictory, multifaceted bundle of urges that change from moment to moment. The idea is that the medication will disrupt strong motivating impulses from operantly conditioned cues. Such disruption will allow for more effective long-term management of behavior.

That's just your addiction speaking ebola. Stop thinking so much. Surrender and work the steps.