Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - A Heartbreaking Drug Sentence of Staggering Idiocy

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
A Heartbreaking Drug Sentence of Staggering Idiocy
Conor Friedersdorf
The Atlantic
April 3rd, 2013

John Horner, a 46-year-old fast-food restaurant worker, lost his eye in a 2000 accident and was prescribed painkillers. Years later, he met and befriended a guy who seemed to be in pain himself. His new friend asked if he could buy some of Horner's pain pills. Naturally, the friend was a police informant. Prosecutors in Central Florida say Horner was ultimately paid $1,800 for pills. "My public defender told me, 'They got you dead to rights,'" he said. "So I thought, 'OK, I guess there's no need taking this to trial.'" His story is recounted in a BBC News Service story about the problematic use of informants by U.S. law-enforcement agencies.

It's an important subject and the article tackles it well.

But let's focus here on the anecdote about Horner, because it gets at the utter madness of the War on Drugs. For the sake of argument, let's presume he's guilty of selling $1,800 of pain pills prescribed to him for an injury. Forget that he was arguably entrapped. Just look at the crime in isolation.

What sort of punishment should it carry?

You've got a 46-year-old employed father caught selling four bottles of prescription pain pills. "Under Florida law Horner now faced a minimum sentence of 25 years, if found guilty," the BBC reports.

Read the full story here.

How terribly sad... another citizen sent away to rot in prison for most of his life. The same old American story.

As much as I admire the United States for many reasons, I am glad I don't live there. This is sick.

Sad. Shit like this makes me very scared all it takes is one asshole turning snitch.

Last edited:
From the article it seems as if this guy was fingered by LE from day one. If for no other reason than to fill a quota, that's so fucking wrong. And then you have this piece of shit undercover pig who probably nagged and nagged and kept jackin' up his $$$ offer until the accused (probably partly to get the pig off his back) finally caved in. Fucking outrage.

Abortion is a constitutional right...but being blind in one eye and being in pain and being entrapped by someone just because YOU have access to and are using certain drugs? Several years in the cage.

Privacy? Security of person? Right over my body? Who the fuck are these retards trying to convince?

Security of person - what a fucking joke - circumcision utterly violates that. Why isn't circumcision illegal and why aren't people sent to prison for mutilating babies?
Right over my body - that doesn't exist. See above. Children are NOT protected by this precedent, so that rules it out on all counts.
Privacy - if that were the case then we wouldn't have this war on drugs...but alas, the privacy argument makes no fucking sense whatsoever.

If they are going to force people to do serious jail time for something it should be infant genital mutilation, not consenting adult drug use. For the record circumcison is most DEFINITELY NOT consentual.

Last edited:
Has that dispute ever come up in court? I can see the headlines, "Son sues parents over circumcision".

This bust is just sad. I mean, why him? Was the undercover facing reassignment to a desk position because he wasn't bringing in enough drugs? The whole think reeks of entrapment. It is possible the UC deliberately waited to ask to buy only soon after the accused took his medication as directed due to the possible lowering of inhibitions by the mood altering narcotic. In other words, when the man was most vulnerable was when the pig oinked. Obviously just a theory, however not surprising in this day and age if true.

Last edited:
^I doubt the narc was a real cop. He was probably just some guy looking to reduce his own sentence.

These kind of stories make me doubt democracy.

Democracy is dangerous in this regard because I suspect we still have a puritan majority that believes in punishment for the sinner.

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep arguing about what's for dinner." Ben Franklin I think.

^
Nice quote yes as long as there are humans in charge there will be a majority punishing minorities. I believe technology is the only thing that can change this aspect of human society (and possibly destroy it in the process)

The guy was selling his legitimate prescription to an undercover narcotics agent.

well technically a "snitch" or "informant"

Big difference. It's the reason I don't sell my prescriptions. Anyone could set me up, even a close friend, or family member. Fuck that. All they need is a wire.

Police officers are "agents", so legally they can't rail lines of coke with you and then bust you when you sell to them.

Snitches... could be just about anyone who buys/sells drugs and gets busted. I've known MANY dealers who have dealt drugs for years and then later found out they work in cohoots with the local police or DEA.

Snitches are completely confidential, and the only way to find out is when they ask too many questions or try to set you up to sell a large amount of drugs, such as this case.

The "system" ...