• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

:X florida bill to outlaw bongs advances

phenethylo J

Bluelight Crew
florida bill to outlaw bongs advances

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/27/3310031/florida-bill-advances-to-outlaw.html#storylink=cpy

Legislation aimed at prohibiting the sale of glass and other pipes, commonly called "bongs," sailed through the House Business and Professional Regulation subcommittee on Wednesday.

The measure is sponsored by Rep. Darryl Rouson, a self-described former drug addict who says the accessibility of the pipes at hundreds of stores across Florida help perpetuate drug addictions.

He said the pipes can be used to inhale crack cocaine, hash and meth as well as marijuana. After the hearing, the St. Petersburg Democrat said he wants to "take away the convenience of addicts being able to go to the local corner store and buy utensils that can be used for illegal ingestion of drugs. And we want to help law enforcement."

State law now allows only certain retailers to sell the pipes if at least 75 percent of their sales come from tobacco products or they have no more than 25 percent of "certain drug paraphernalia" sales.

The bill (HB 49) would eliminate that exception and make any sale a first-degree misdemeanor. Second and subsequent violations would jump to a third-degree felony.

Rouson said that retailers selling the pipes have "operated under a fiction."

"The law has allowed them to call themselves tobacco accessories, yet 80 percent of these stores don't sell a stick of tobacco," he said.

"We're not talking about grandfather's corncob pipe," he added. "You don't see anybody hitting a wad of tobacco out of a waterpipe."

The measure drew no opposition during its brief review by the House panel.

Rouson said more than 300 Florida stores sell the pipes, and that many of the retailers are clustered close to college campuses.

Employees at a handful of smoke shops that sell the pipes declined to comment about the bill when reached by phone for comment on Wednesday.

Last edited:
This pathetic excuse for a human being has tried to pass similar laws in the past but failed. Just because he used be a selfish crack/coke head and cared more about getting his next fix than than caring for his own child doesn't give him the right to punish people who just want to smoke a little bud. He is truly brain dead if he thinks this will even have the slightest effect on people's marijuana intake. It will only cause people to more likely to use shitty homemade peaces which are far worse for the lungs than glass.

Yet another reason for me to get out of this shitty state.

The measure is sponsored by Rep. Darryl Rouson, a self-described former drug addict who says the accessibility of the pipes at hundreds of stores across Florida help perpetuate drug addictions.

ugh

Wouldn't stop bongs from getting into Florida, it'd just increase the price quite a bit.

they may as well outlaw bottled water / gatorade / powerade etc, what a chump move

Are bongs used for anything other than weed? Saying it will curb addictions is wrong. I don't know why legislatures are allowed to pass laws based on total ignorance and bigotry.

They sell pretty decent worked glass bowls in a lot of the gas stations where i live just out in the open. And yea all ppl will do is just make some kind of smoking device. Thats when you need the macguyer smoker. "bro, get me a snorkel an ice pick and an avacado, trust me bro ive been doing this for years" lol

It's not like we have anything important to discuss in the legislature.

I smoke my crack out if a coca cola can so proceed to ban aluminum cans too

It seems pretty odd that a legislature would ban a tube intersecting with a vase-shaped object...that's what we get for electing mathematicians with a specialization in topology, right? :p

ebola

Urgh, this kind of shit is why we have 'Oil Pourers' here in Australia. In all the years since the sale of bongs was prohibited here I've never had trouble getting my hands on one. Hasn't changed a thing except drive up the price and lead to more Gatorade bongs.

Florida Bong Ban Bill Passes Senate 31-2 But Now Doesn't Actually Ban Bongs

A day after a bill that would ban the sale of bongs and certain pipes in Florida overwhelming passed the Florida House, its sister bill found similarly broad support in the Senate. The bill passed the legislative body 31-2 today, and will now head to Gov. Rick Scott.

Though, the bill has been considerably watered down since its inception and would have virtually no effect.

While other states are loosening their laws regarding marijuana (medical or otherwise), Florida politicians seemed determined to crack down on pot, at least in message. The new law would make it a misdemeanor to sell pipes and bongs intended for smoking marijuana. A felony would follow for the second offense.

The final version heading to Gov. Scott would only ban the sale of the pipes (and for that mater anything on this list, which includes things like balloons and duct tape) if the seller is "knowingly and willingly" offering it to someone who would use the device to ingest illegal drugs. The Orlando Sentinel reports that the final bill has basically been stripped of all its teeth.

Meaning people can still buy and sell pipes and bongs if they're for tobacco use. So essentially nothing at all has changed. What a wonderful use of the Florida legislature's time! Good job everyone!

The only "no" votes came from Sen. Jeff Clemons (D-Lake Worth) and Gwen Margolis (D-Miami Beach).

Rep. Darryl Rousen, a former crack addict who initiated the bill in the House, has admitted that he knew the bill wouldn't actually prevent people from procuring smoking devices, but he just wanted to make it a little bit harder to do so while sending an anti-drug message.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/04/bong_ban_bill_passes_senate_31.php