• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK couple guilty of killing six of their children in fire

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
On Tuesday his suspicions were vindicated as Philpott, his wife, Mairead, and his best friend, Paul Mosley, were convicted of killing the children by setting the house in Derby alight.

Philpott, 56, became the prime suspect in the aftermath of the fire, and police took the unusual step of bugging his home to gain the evidence they needed to convict him. Detectives fitted the hotel room in which he was being housed with listening devices, and heard him ask his wife in a low voice whether she had stuck to the story in her interview with the police on May 11 last year. The pair were due in court the following day.

Philpott started the fire by pouring petrol in his hallway and igniting it, in an effort to frame his former girlfriend, Lisa Willis, who had also lived in the house, and win back custody of their five children. He may have also been motivated by a desire for a bigger house.

But the plan for a small fire went disastrously wrong and the blaze engulfed the house and claimed the lives of his children who were in bed. Temperatures hit 900F and smoke filled the small end-terrace home.

Jade 10, and her brothers Duwayne, 13, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five, were overcome within minutes.

Using the secret microphones, police officers heard the pair attempting to concoct a plot to put the blame for the blaze on Miss Willis, 29, who had walked out on Philpott three months earlier, taking their children with her.

Their idea was to portray Philpott as the would-be hero who attempted to rescue his children but who was tragically beaten back by the flames.

However, police were suspicious because of Philpott’s erratic behaviour. Minutes before appearing before cameras to appeal for information, he appeared to Mr Cotterill to be acting ‘‘like an excited child’’. Afterwards he lay face down on the corridor floor in ‘‘a childish performance and a plan to make him look like someone who was distraught and unable to stand’’.

Moments later, Philpott joked to female police officers he would marry them, and later propositioned another officer to go back to his hotel room.

Marie Smith, the manager of the Royal Derby Hospital morgue, where the children’s bodies were taken, said Philpott had pretended to faint, referred to his dead children as ‘‘little -----’’ and held a police officer in a headlock during ‘‘horseplay’’.

Philpott, when asked whether he would like some water, asked her if she could put some gin in it, and described another visit by the couple as ‘‘a circus’’.

Police also linked Philpott to the crime with forensic evidence after finding petrol of their clothes. Philpott has never accepted responsibility for his actions and shouted ‘‘It’s not over yet’’ as he was convicted at Nottingham Crown Court. Mairead, 31, cried as her sister screamed abuse from the public gallery while Mosley, 46, sat staring ahead. All three were found guilty of manslaughter and will be sentenced today.

Dawn Bestwick, Philpott’s sister, said that ‘‘justice has been done’’, a sentiment echoed by his wife’s family.
Detectives believe that Mosley’s part in the plot was to spill the petrol in the hallway or dispose of the cannister, which has never been found. He was found with the petrol used in the fire on his clothes.

Philpott, who had 17 children in total, lived off the £2000 ($2890) a month state benefits of his wife and Miss Willis, as well as their wages, which he insisted be paid into his bank account.

He lived a tawdry lifestyle involving drugs, and would have his wife in his bed one night and his mistress the next. Philpott and his wife would also have threesomes with Mosley and previous girlfriends spoke of how he would turn violent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/uk-coup...ren-in-fire-20130403-2h5jh.html#ixzz2PLnKwFfu

Tawdry is in the eye of the beholder.. but if he really did do it, I think he should get a public dose of his own medicine.

I recall reading about this a while ago, such a horrible and stupid incident. How the guy can live with himself is beyond me.

Police also linked Philpott to the crime with forensic evidence after finding petrol of on their clothes.

Detectives fitted the hotel room in which he was being housed with listening devices, and heard him ask his wife in a low voice whether she had stuck to the story in her interview with the police on May 11 last year.

Note to self: These questions are best written on paper, and not uttered aloud.

^ If I ever decide to set my house on fire and risk killing my kids to collect the insurance and re-gain custody, at least I will be able to confide in you, Captain! 8o

^ If I ever decide to set my house on fire and risk killing my kids to collect the insurance and re-gain custody, at least I will be able to confide in you, Captain! 8o

lol! The Cpt. can be your lawyer. I'm at least one step up from a public pretender.

On a serious note though I'm glad that this guy got caught, anyone who killed their kids intentionally should get caught. If you unintentionally kill your kids and then lie about it to the cops, you especially deserve to get caught. :|

Pretty shitty story yeah, but does this really belong in DITM? Because of a casual mention that he may have used drugs at some stage? Come on, the last thing we need here is more shitty Daily Mail articles. Why feed traffic to such an awful site?

Pretty shitty story yeah, but does this really belong in DITM? Because of a casual mention that he may have used drugs at some stage? Come on, the last thing we need here is more shitty Daily Mail articles. Why feed traffic to such an awful site?

Yeah this^ Tragic case but not for DIM really. The police officer sitting next to him could tell he was crying and knew he was sitting next to the murderer, so he said he did intend to start a fire but didnt intend to kill them, jesus and he has to pretend to fake cry? :S

I wonder if the police need a warrant to wire tap a hotel or if the hotel is allowed to just let them do it since it's their property?

These scumbags deserved to be listened in on but I'm just wondering about hotel privacy in general.

I wonder if the police need a warrant to wire tap a hotel or if the hotel is allowed to just let them do it since it's their property?

These scumbags deserved to be listened in on but I'm just wondering about hotel privacy in general.

A hidden microphone in a hotel room would make for one hell of a field recording.