• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man gets 5 years in prison for growing psychedelic mushrooms

poledriver

Bluelighter
Wife placed in community control for 4 years.

A Whitehouse man convicted in a large-scale psychedelic mushroom-growing operation was sentenced today to five years in prison while his wife was placed on community control for four years.

Matthew Thierry, 41, who was listed as the owner of the properties raided by police last September, had pleaded guilty last month in Lucas County Common Pleas Court to illegal manufacture of drugs, aggravated possession of drugs, aggravated trafficking in drugs, and tampering with evidence in the case.

His wife, Sara Thierry, 38, a former Spanish teacher at Bedford High School, pleaded guilty today to tampering with evidence for asking a co-worker of her husband’s to destroy a thumb drive on his computer that prosecutors believed was evidence in the case.

Judge Dean Mandros ordered her to perform 150 hours of community service as part of her probation.

Sara Thierry’s attorney, Jerome Phillips, said his client had no involvement in the mushroom-growing operation, and a charge of obstructing justice was dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

“She sadly has lost everything – her husband who is going to prison, her jobs, everything she accumulated by her hard work,” Mr. Phillips said.

According to Jon White, interim superintendent for Bedford Public Schools, Sara Thierry resigned March 15. She had been on paid leave since her arrest last September.

She also lost her job as a part-time foreign languages instructor at the University of Toledo. She was removed from the classroom after her arrest and terminated Oct. 5, according to UT Spokesman Meghan Cunningham.

Four other suspects in the case previously entered guilty pleas to drug charges in the case.

Ian Golbinec, 31, of 6 Hidden Valley Dr., was sentenced to 4.5 years in prison, while Autum Johnson, 31, and Mikael Stiles, 32, both of Swanton, each were sentenced to five years in prison.

Ronald Hammersmith, 44, of 1833 Arlington Ave., is scheduled for sentencing April 4.

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...sychedelic-mushrooms.html#tMeHa1APLEoZtWYg.99

His wife, Sara Thierry, 38, a former Spanish teacher at Bedford High School, pleaded guilty today to tampering with evidence for asking a co-worker of her husband’s to destroy a thumb drive on his computer that prosecutors believed was evidence in the case.

It must be real hard to destroy a thumb drive 8(

That man didn't grow those mushrooms!
Nature grew them. The man just helped by trying to make ideal conditions.
As such, he is an accomplice, but throw Nature in the slammer!

That man didn't grow those mushrooms!
Nature grew them.

Would that many mushrooms have grown there if the man didn't instigate it? Not that I care about a couple growing mushrooms of course. Even if they are 'magic shrooms'.

^ I am not sure if I totally get you this time, poledriver, and I usually dig what you say.
Certainly you can't object to people providing ideal conditions for Nature to provide abundance?

There would be hemp and psychedelic mushrooms growing in thousands of places in the US alone if it were not for the war on drugs.
Mescaline-containing cacti grow 6 feet tall in people's yards, though, from the deserts of the SW all the way to South America, but they have been largely overlooked in the drug war.
So, without the drug war, mushrooms would be growing in more places.
(I picked them a couple times with a friend in a small park in the Pacific NW. ;) )
You can hardly blame the guy for trying to even things out a bit.

(It's not like we don't have mass production of foods, goods, and medicines, after all.)

You know, fuck them! Fuck them, this is not cool! After weed, mushrooms are the next thing I wish to be re-legalised! Shrooms are natures giggles, why in the name of God would you ban happiness? If you're Satan himself, surely that would be the ONLY reason you'd wanna ban happiness? Surely!

If you're a doctor, under the consent of parents you can legally perform as many male infant genital mutilations as you like. But to grow a certain variety of mushrooms? Nope, that's not done.

I don't know what is wrong with this world. Is it any wonder why the suicide rate is so high these days?

If you're a doctor, under the consent of parents you can legally perform as many male infant genital mutilations as you like. But to grow a certain variety of mushrooms? Nope, that's not done.

I don't know what is wrong with this world. Is it any wonder why the suicide rate is so high these days?

Well I think both acts can be extremely important cultural sacraments; this is why some are allowed to legally consume peyote.

Well I think both acts can be extremely important cultural sacraments; this is why some are allowed to legally consume peyote.

But one of those acts is a blatant violation of another's basic human rights. Consuming peyote does not violate another's basic human rights. But hacking up a baby's penis certainly does.