• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Adventure Time With Finn & Jake

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
At first glance, the show seems to be your basic kid fare. A boy, his dog, wackiness ensues. Wrong right off the bat, because Finn the human and Jake the Dog are actually brothers. Upon closer inspection, you see that this show is 11 minutes of crazy visuals and plots that seem to be transmitted straight from the mind of a child and beamed into your tv or computer. Go a little deeper and you'll find yourself so engrossed, that certain episodes can even reduce you to tears.

I started watching it about six months ago, when I was babysitting my 7 year old nephew. He is a huge fan, so I decided to watch one or two with him. The more I watched, the more I had to know about it. What's the deal with the stretchy dog? Why does the boy's head look like a pillow? What in the hell is a rainicorn? Naturally I was a bit confused. After all, I was watching them out of sequence. The first episode I really watched was Paper Pete, the library episode towards the end of the third season. I had no idea what I was watching, but I knew there was something special about this show.

Since then, I've watched nearly episode, some more than a couple of times. My favorite is easily I Remember You, in which I have no shame in saying that one made me shed a tear or three. I was floored! This animated show managed to do in 11 minutes what most heart-warming movies had failed to do in 90. Suck me in completely and reduce me to a dewy-eyed mess. That was about the fourth episode I saw and the one that made me decide I had to start this thing from the beginning to see what I was missing and I haven't regretted one minute of it.

I'm not sure what universe Pendlelton Ward (creator of Adventure Time) came from, but I hope he's here to stay. This show has touched me on a whole other level. This was supposed to be a Nickelodeon cartoon, but they passed on it and it fell into the hands of the Cartoon Network. I'm not sure if Nick would have kept it the same, but something tells me they wouldn't. If you haven't watched this, do yourself a favor and watch two or three episodes. If you don't like it, then you're only out of about 33 minutes of your life. What were you going to do with those minutes that was so special anyway? But chances are, bluelighters, you'll be drawn into the land of Ooo as I was, and you'll never completely leave. Don't even get me started on the many mind-fucks and drugs references. Way too many to even delve into.

Hello? Eat my tarts?

He's only in the show for a few moments, but the Royal Tart Toter is one of my favorite characters ever.

Last edited:
There is already another Adventure Time thread, but you put so much effort into your OP I won't merge it.

I love Adventure Time. I'm not real into the direction they've taken it recently with the 'Fiona and Cake' episodes and Finn's relationship with the Flame Princess, but it's still easily the best cartoon currently on TV. It perfectly captures that mixture of whimsy and absurdity that all good cartoons should have, but it's jokes are so layered that it has an appeal that anyone of any age can appreciate.

If you haven't already, check out Pendleton Ward's Youtube series Bravest Warriors. Same style as Adventure Time with more adult themes.

Whoops. I've been gone so long, I forgot how bluelight works. I was looking in the movie index, instead of the tv index. Classic blunder. Go ahead and merge with the original thread if you don't mind. I already took the liberty of editing out the part where I introduced it as a new thread. And I will definitely check Bravest Warriors out. Thanks for the suggestion!

lol yeah the royal tart toter at the end of that episode says some wild shit lol

i think the best episode is where jake meets lady rainicorns parents, fuck man that line about her parents hating dogs might have something to do with the rainicorn dog war, so good

ALGEBRAIC MY DUDE

Though I've posted my thoughts on it before, I can only agree that it's an amazing show, one of the most imaginative in any genre on television, with a (deservedly) strong adult following. It's one of those rare animated shows that fully utilizes the possibilities of the medium, and--strictly IMO--keeps old-fashioned cel animation at the forefront of creativity.

I just learned of this show a couple weeks ago. Instant favorite! The storyline, characters, music, and well... everything is just fantastic

^Lucky jerk: you never knew what you were missing and now you've got loads of past shows to watch whenever plus new ones to look forward to. [/jealousy]
Why does the boy's head look like a pillow?
I've always thought it was a bear-eared hood and a nod to the kid's costume in "Where the Wild Things Are." I still think that's part of it, considering the overlapping themes of the two, but I searched and, surprise! there's a meticulously detailed wiki page for the hat.

The most revealing bit:
Pendleton Ward has stated that Finn got his hat as a baby when he skinned a bear out in the woods.[1] This is possibly confirmed in the episode "Little Dude ," where Finn remarks at the end that he needs a new hat, and Jake replies that they need to go skin an evil bear.

Finn appears to be quite defensive when it comes to his hat, for when the Ice King states that Finn's hat is stupid in the "Animated Short," Finn retorted by kicking Ice King in the face and yelling, "My hat is awesome!" It is presumably unique. In "Little Dude" the hat became enchanted when it touched the flower of a buried Magi. The evil spirit that possessed it caused the hat to rampage through Candy Kingdom.

Now that I actually articulated my recognition of the allusion to Where the Wild Things Are it seems obvious that's what the hat almost MUST be: both stories involve a boy's imaginative escape into a world of magic and personal power brought on by tragedy (there's more the more I think on it, but that's the essential part). A quick search of the two together brought back this t-shirt:

wild-adventure-time!-drawsgood.jpg

Last edited:
ricardo08 said:
Adventure Time is good. Princess Bubblegum is a babe.
... yes, thank you for that stirring and insightful aphorism, which I think cuts right to the heart of "Adventure Time" lore. Please, expand...