Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The 30-something man who drank himself to death

poledriver

Bluelighter
The 30-something man who drank himself to death

American music star Jason Molina dies from organ failure
He was an alcoholic who just couldn't beat the habit
Aussie doctor warns it can happen to any young person

MAYBE you've never heard of Jason Molina. But even if you haven't, his sad story has a lesson for all of us.
Molina was a talented American singer whose work spanned a territory between rock and blues. He drank himself to death this week. He was 39.

We often hear of young people who kill themselves through alcohol but it's usually a violent death. A car accident or a fight or youthful hi-jinx gone wrong.

Molina's death was different. He drank until his body shut down. He suffered massive organ failure and that was that. Jason Molina literally pickled himself.

Jason Molina tried rehab. In fact he was in rehab for much of the last four years since he stopped touring in 2009.

It's not known how many times he checked in and checked our of rehab facilities. No one can definitely say if he ever got off the booze for any meaningful stretch of time.

What is known is that he had support from friends, from family and from fans. They even donated cash through a special PayPal account to help pay for his hugely expensive treatment.

Nothing worked.

Two years ago, a friend who calls himself H20 wrote:

"About six months ago... the calls from Jason became... just... desperate... I'd get disjointed calls. He'd sing new songs to me. He'd cry. He'd pass out. He'd laugh. He'd remember some stupid random story about us singing a song together on stage in Virginia. More crying. Dead air. Drifting. And again, this wasn't the JMo I knew. It bothered me then as it does now."

That same friend wrote this week:

"What many of us were slow to find out is that Molina had a pretty significant drinking problem. This disease, which snuffed out his life, controlled Jason for most of the last decade.

"What made Jason so endearing was his lack of pretense. For as intense as he wrote, he was a goofball. But maybe, just maybe, his music was eluding to what was fighting inside him. The demons. The ghosts. The pain. The disease."

So now you know a little about Jason Molina and how he died. Here's why this story matters in Australia.

It matters because most of us assume that drinking yourself to death is an old person thing. That even the heaviest young person can booze endlessly, take their taxis home and worry about the health impacts years down the track.

Dr Mark Daglish is a senior lecturer in addiction psychiatry at the University of Queensland. He sees young people drink themselves to death all the time.

"I have certainly seen people in their 20s and 30s with organ damage more commonly associated with people in their 50s or 60s," he says.

"The headline grabbing stuff is acute trauma like car vs pedestrian and things like that, but alcohol is a common contributor to overdose death in young people especially in combination with other drugs."

Cont-

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...th/story-fneuz9ev-1226601427356#ixzz2O36m0FjA

This could serve as a wake up call to younger people who drink every day or binge. The question is how to make them listen? I never thought much about organ damage either until it hit home. My sister passed away at 33 from a toxic liver. She didn't even know she was sick and one day her husband came home and found her dead. I miss her man.

sorry to hear that, yeah its a good article to take note of.

Last edited:
Outside of bluelight I guarantee the general reaction is "wow, what a strange, unusual way to die"

I'm surprised the police didn't try and say somehow he overdosed on LSD, which seems to be the cool thing to do these days

This could serve as a wake up call to younger people who drink every day or binge. The question is how to make them listen? I never thought much about organ damage either until it hit home. My sister passed away at 33 from a toxic liver. She didn't even know she was sick and one day her husband came home and found her dead. I miss her man.

Very sad story. :(
Alcohol is a dangerous substance.

As a young person who has been drinking heavy almost daily for the past 2 years this is sobering. Or atleast it would be if I wasn't so fucking hammered right now.

^ I think that all of the research I have seen that suggests that beer/wine in moderation is healthy is likely seeing effects due to grape juice/ hops + relaxation. Have there been any studies on pure alcohol, and if it benefits people?

Gotta remember to keep drinking in moderation and throw out my cigs.

damn waste of money and rip to the poor guy

in the early '80s when i got my first job after nursing school, we had a guy, 28, end stage cirrhosis. he was admitted one evening, talking crazy shit, so yellow he almost glowed. next day he'd blown up w/ fluid, was bigger than the bed, and died that night. 28. no history other than alcohol. blew me away, still remember his name, never will forget the guy.
-izzy

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/37/5/409.short

after less than two minutes of searching

I was mostly referring to benefits to the mind, however.

Yeah, that article just reviewed other articles, most/all of which used wine or beer. I am looking for a study that gives people pure alcohol.
Until I see evidence otherwise, I believe that all of the beneficial effects attributed to alcohol are caused by beneficial fruits/plants (grapes, malt, barley, hops) + relaxation.
I want to see a study of people who drink wine vs/ people who drink grape juice + go for a run/do yoga/meditate.
My suspicion is that the latter would derive all of the benefits that the alcohol drinkers found, without putting any of the neurotoxin in their bodies.
(Maybe social lubrication also enters into it, in which case we could have the latter group go for a run with a group of friends).

Slimvictor, I think you've hit it. All of what I've heard suggests that the reason moderate drinkers tend to outlive nondrinkers and heavy drinkers both is because they have the best social lives of the 3 groups, and having a strong social network is a very, very strong predictor of health and longevity. Over-represented among nondrinkers, also, are people who are too unhealthy or too short on time, money, and energy, to ever drink.

I'd like to see a study on one or more ethnic groups where alcohol plays an extremely minor role in social life, that is, the vast majority of people spend the vast majority of social gatherings without a drop of alcohol in them. (There are more of these than you might imagine -- only half of all adults in the world are estimated to ever consume alcohol.) Controlling for socioeconomic status, I bet you'd find nondrinkers in these cultures outlived what we'd define as moderate drinkers (<14 drinks per week).

Izzy, I hear you. I'm working in the ICU now, and I see people all the time who've drank their livers, stomachs, kidneys, and brains to absolute shit. It's a slow, unpleasant death, which ends in delirium and feeling absolutely polluted. I haven't seen any under 30, but definitely ones in their 30s and 40s. A lot are people who knew a long, long time ago that they would never be able to quit, and had given up even trying. I do think newer medications are coming down the pipeline, though, that target the cravings by making the pleasurable effects sought by the heavy drinker more neurochemically likely during sobriety, and/or less likely during intoxication.

It's easy to forget that alcohol is actually one of drugs known to man with the highest tolls on the body. It had the advantage of being discovered very early on in prehistory, and ingratiating itself into human culture and arguably even human biology (we do make an enzyme whose only job is to metabolize it, after all) during a time when most people died before 30 of quicker and deadlier threats. But it truly is received as, and processed as, a foreign chemical irritant, by most of your body's cells. Its metabolite acetaldehyde is even worse.