• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

calcium help

DOB

Bluelighter
so my tinnitus comes from nerves being pressured between my severly fuckd up C2/C3 neck bones :(

but here is the question,for my whole life,when ever I was thinking about calcium,I was thinking milk,but today my doc told me I need to eat beans daily becose they are far superior when it comes to calcium supply

her reasoning was this "calcium in milk is tied to protein with poor bio avaliability making it bad choice"

what is best thing to buy them? I was thinking about doing raw broccoli and beans with calcium/vitamin d pills,theres three kinds of these pills in my store,the priciest is some natural bio ones.... are these superior to the synthethic cheaper ones?? pls help I cant live with this daily tinnitus,I need that spine to heal asap

Leafy green veggies, like spinach, broccoli, kale, collard greens, swiss chard, dark green salad leaves etc are the best dietary sources of calcium. Never heard of legumes being a better source, but then I rarely eat them personally.

Your Dr is right about dairy not being a good source of calcium, though. I'd learned it's more due to the high phosphorous content which inhibits calcium absorption, than protein content. But maybe it's both.

ETA: I don't know how calcium would help your nerve issues; what exactly is wrong with your neck? What's your diagnosis.

Leafy green veggies, like spinach, broccoli, kale, collard greens, swiss chard, dark green salad leaves etc are the best dietary sources of calcium. Never heard of legumes being a better source, but then I rarely eat them personally.

Your Dr is right about dairy not being a good source of calcium, though. I'd learned it's more due to the high phosphorous content which inhibits calcium absorption, than protein content. But maybe it's both.

ETA: I don't know how calcium would help your nerve issues; what exactly is wrong with your neck? What's your diagnosis.

I have been hunchin over PC for like 5 years with poor diet and extremly small amount of excersise... the place between C2/3 in neck is like crushed,herniated disc or I dont know how to say it,but theres nerves,hearing ones too and I have constant ugly loud ringing in my head for months....

I just ate about one pound of chinese cabbage,going to buy dried figs... still unsure if I should buy that extra pricey calcium vit d that have written BIO/natural on it or just go with the cheaper one... :( please help I am poor and I need dat calcium

Did your Dr specifically tell you that you need more calcium? Have you had any blood work done that shows deficiencies?

If you're strapped for cash I would make sure you know what will actually help, especially before spending a lot of money on supplements. I am personally of the belief that it's best to get your nutrients from food, not supplements. I take a few supplements for very specialized purposes, with the exception of fish oil, since I don't eat any fish.

To me it sounds like your problems have much more to do with your computer use and lack of exercise than your diet. If you have herniated discs, I don't think any supplement or diet change is going to help very much. From what I know about disc damage, it can't be undone. You definitely need to see a orthopaedist and see what your treatment options are.

The best suggestion I have is to get a massage, or buy a good massage machine. There are also foam rollers and plastic/wooden knobbles you can use to try to relax muscle knots which might be contributing to your issues. But if your disc damage is really serious I don't know that any of that would help. Did you Dr say you have any muscular issues? I feel your pain, at least somewhat. Spinal problems are the worst. :(

Did your Dr specifically tell you that you need more calcium? Have you had any blood work done that shows deficiencies?

If you're strapped for cash I would make sure you know what will actually help, especially before spending a lot of money on supplements. I am personally of the belief that it's best to get your nutrients from food, not supplements. I take a few supplements for very specialized purposes, with the exception of fish oil, since I don't eat any fish.

To me it sounds like your problems have much more to do with your computer use and lack of exercise than your diet. If you have herniated discs, I don't think any supplement or diet change is going to help very much. From what I know about disc damage, it can't be undone. You definitely need to see a orthopaedist and see what your treatment options are.

The best suggestion I have is to get a massage, or buy a good massage machine. There are also foam rollers and plastic/wooden knobbles you can use to try to relax muscle knots which might be contributing to your issues. But if your disc damage is really serious I don't know that any of that would help. Did you Dr say you have any muscular issues? I feel your pain, at least somewhat. Spinal problems are the worst. :(

what massage machine you had in mind? all the electronics here cost the same like rest of the world but we get paid 20% of the other countries,basicly I am poor as fuck :( average pay is like 20euro a day

Calcium and vitamin K: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach, kale.
Vitamin K slows bone loss and strengthens bones.

Magnesium: Wheat bran, cashews, spinach, almonds, cacao.
Strengthens bones, supports health muscular/immune function, regulates blood pressure, helps body metabolize energy and synthesize protein.

Potassium: swiss chard, lima beans, sweet potato, spinach, papaya
Helps neutralize acids in the body known to eat away at bone tissue. Especially important if diet consists of lots of citrus and tomato (both foods are acidic and can contribute to bone loss)

Calcium and vitamin K: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach, kale.
Vitamin K slows bone loss and strengthens bones.

Magnesium: Wheat bran, cashews, spinach, almonds, cacao.
Strengthens bones, supports health muscular/immune function, regulates blood pressure, helps body metabolize energy and synthesize protein.

Potassium: swiss chard, lima beans, sweet potato, spinach, papaya
Helps neutralize acids in the body known to eat away at bone tissue. Especially important if diet consists of lots of citrus and tomato (both foods are acidic and can contribute to bone loss)

great post