• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Teenage Drug Use Leading to DP/DR, Anxiety, Depression.. HELP!

MitchPerry94

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I'll start by saying this is my first post - so to introduce, my name is Mitch, i'm 18 years of age and live in Australia.
I've experimented with drugs ever since I was about 15, when I began smoking weed fairly often. I then moved onto experimenting with LSD, DXM, MDMA and then mushrooms - around the age of 16-17. I had a severely bad trip on mushrooms around December of 2011, which was in fact my first experience with anxiety. Before this I was confident, outgoing, and never had an anxious bone in my body. However something went wrong that particular day, and imo I have never felt the same since.

Trying not to ramble on, after this, i continued smoking weed nearly everyday. I was always an avid bodybuilding fan (and trained regularly - go figure right), and then decided to dabble in steroid use. I ran one small cycle and got good results, however in the last 12 months - I have really gone too far.

To sum things up, for the last 6-8 months:
- I have been running a heavy cycle of steroids (Tren Ace, Test E, Stanazol, Anadrol) without any break
- Consumed ridicolous amounts of caffeine daily
- Smoked weed at least 5 days a week
- Weekly MDMA use
- Ketamne Use
- Moderate Alcohol use
- Started smoking cigarettes

**- Then OVERDOSED on Pramipexole (which I was foolishly taking for prolactin support, not realising the mental effects it had considering it was a Dopamine Agonist).
This OD lead me to the ER with severe palpatations, arrythmia and a severe near death experience. Was told that I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't gone in.

Anyway, this was around 4-5 weeks ago. And I have felt absolutely horrible since.
I have dropped MDMA once since then (foolish i know..), and had an experience without euphoria (just alertness), and a terrible comedown where I suffered an immense panic attack.
My daily symptoms have been:
- Severe Anxiety
- Depression
- Cloudy vision (everything doesnt seem real)
- Depersonalization/ Derealization
- Lack of motivation
- Difficulty sleeping
- Irritability and Restlessness
- General Loss of Reality

I have stopped cold turkey every drug I was on, and have felt completley horrible the last 4-5 weeks and feel like I cant take this much longer. The doc in emergency said it is just my brain rewiring and will take some time, however I was not convinced and got a brain MRI and bloodwork done (which came back clean) - because I am convincing myself I am fucked up and not like everyone else.

I was after any advice at all if possible? My anxiety is ruling my life, i am now struggling to go out when I used to love it, i am constantly worrying about myself and how I "feel" at all times. I just want to feel at peace again.

If anyone had any suggestions as to why I'm feeling this way and how is the best way to go about it (and please not the anti-depressant suggestion - I dont want anymore drugs..)

Thanks heaps and sorry for the long post.. anything would help a heap.

Exercise, healthy diet, regular sleep pattern and time..

You'll be fine..

Thinking about how you feel will often lead to you thinking there is something wrong.. You need to accept there is nothing wrong with you.. Don't let yourself sit there thinking about it.. Force yourself to do something else.. Go for a walk, read a book, do some math.. In the end you will stop looking for something and chances are you will feel better.

But yeah.. Healthy diet, regular exercise and regular sleep pattern and you'll be fine in no time ;)

It sounds like you are suffering from a mild case of hypochondria, btw..

NSFW:

IGNORE THIS! READ POST BELOW!

Oh and SSRI's can be good for you.. They promote neurogenesis (forming of new brain cells) in the hippocampus.. Low density hippocampus has been linked to depression.. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
SSRI's can be good for you.. They promote neurogenesis (forming of new brain cells) in the hippocampus.. Low density hippocampus has been linked to depression.. Just throwing that out there.
That may sound good, but the claim that SSRIs promote neurogenesis has been disputed and there are a lot of potential negative effects to SSRIs too (not to mention they don't even work that well for everyone). The neurogenesis claim comes from some studies in rodents, but other studies found that it was only true for very young mice and that there was no such effect in mice past a certain age. Furthermore, we are not mice and forcing mice into a state that objectively resembles depression is not the same as a human being, but even regarding mice the assertion that neurogenesis in the hippocampus may be involved in the pathogenesis and amelioration of depressive symptoms has been challenged. For example, the way studies were done has been criticized and there have been studies which came to different conclusions, such as a study that used a neurogenesis-blocker and found that the effects of SSRIs on mouse "depression" were no different when neurogenesis was blocked.

The OP said they weren't interested in antidepressants anyway, but I just wanted to make these points for anyone reading :)

MitchPerry94 - I'm inclined to agree with your doctor's assessment that much of your problems may be due to your drug use and stopping it all suddenly and your brain may need some time to recover. Hang in there, it's only been about a month right? As rickolasnice said, you can speed up your recovery by exercising, eating healthy, doing as much as you can to sleep regularly, doing things you enjoy and being patient. Perhaps you could see a therapist and also someone like an integrative physician, good naturopath or other good "alternative" health care practitioner? There are a lot of non-drug things you can do for the symptoms you are experiencing. Supplements, meditation, self-help techniques, various types of non-drug therapy, etc.

I went 5 weeks after quitting opiates with horrible depression and the same idea as you that I was never going to get better. I had horrible anxiety, I could barely leave my house without breaking down. I thought I was going to be in it for the long haul, but by week six, I began juicing vegetables and cleaning up my diet to where I was only eating shitty maybe 3 meals a week and juicing for at least 2 meals a day, flooding my body with nutrients. By the end of week six, my depression finally lifted seemingly overnight. I am still a little anxious at times and motivation to do anything is still working its way back to baseline, but I AM recovering. I never thought I would say that 2 weeks ago.

Your brain is going to take time, so just take it a day at a time. go easy on yourself and treat your body like a temple for this time period. Much like a growing child, you need every bit of nutrition you can get to 'rebuild' your brain and body chemistry. The body is an absolutely amazing machine when it is given the right fuel!

Swimmingdancer.. Really? I wasn't aware.. don't suppose you could link me to the studies / info?

Thank ya! <3

(Edited previous post)

Swimmingdancer.. Really? I wasn't aware.. don't suppose you could link me to the studies / info?

Thank ya! <3

(Edited previous post)

No problem :). You didn't have to add "ignore this" to your post. It's not like it's proven that SSRIs don't cause neurogenesis. It's just a controversial issue whether or not this happens in humans/to what degree it happens and whether or not it is actually responsible for any benefit in depression.

We're still a very long way from understanding depression on a biological level and even the efficacy rates of SSRIs are hotly disputed.

Here's some info:
Ageing abolishes the effects of fluoxetine on neurogenesis
We tested the impact of fluoxetine, a broadly used antidepressant, on hippocampal neurogenesis in mice of three different age groups (100, 200 and over 400 days of age). Proliferation and survival rate of newly generated cells, as well as the percentage of cells that acquired a neuronal phenotype were analyzed in the hippocampus of mice that received fluoxetine daily in a chronic manner. Surprisingly, the action of fluoxetine on neurogenesis was decreasing as a function of age and was only significant in young animals. Hence, fluoxetine increased survival and the frequency of neuronal marker expression in newly generated cells of the hippocampus in the young adult group (that is 100 days of age) only. [source]

The mood-improving actions of antidepressants do not depend on neurogenesis
The mechanisms underlying the initiation/onset of, and the recovery from, depression are still largely unknown; views that neurogenesis in the hippocampus may be important for the pathogenesis and amelioration of depressive symptoms have gained currency over the years although the original evidence has been challenged. In this study, an unpredictable chronic mild stress protocol was used to induce a depressive-like phenotype in rats. In the last 2 weeks of stress exposure, animals were treated with the antidepressants fluoxetine, imipramine, CP 156,526 or SSR 1494515, alone or combined with methylazoxymethanol, a cytostatic agent used to arrest neurogenesis. We found that antidepressants retain their therapeutic efficacy in reducing both measured indices of depression-like behavior (learned helplessness and anhedonia), even when neurogenesis is blocked. [source]

Behavioral Effects of Chronic Fluoxetine in BALB/cJ Mice Do Not Require Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis
The behavioral effects of fluoxetine emerged by 12 days of treatment, and were affected neither by ablation of progenitor cells of the hippocampus nor by genetic deletion of the 5-HT1A receptor. The effect of fluoxetine in the BALB/cJ mice was also neurogenesis-independent in the novelty-induced hypophagia test. We also found that chronic fluoxetine does not induce an increase in cell proliferation or the number of young neurons as measured by BrdU and doublecortin immunolabeling, respectively, in BALB/cJ mice. These data are in contrast to our previous report using a different strain of mice (129SvEvTac). In conclusion, we find that BALB/cJ mice show a robust response to chronic SSRI treatment in the FST, which is not mediated by an increase in new neurons in the hippocampus, and does not require the 5-HT1A receptor. These findings suggest that SSRIs can produce antidepressant-like effects via distinct mechanisms in different mouse strains. [source]

Feel free to let me know if you'd like sources supporting anything else I said :)

Here's a short list of things that can help reduce depersonalization/derealization...

meditation
exercise
talking to friends and family
sleeping well

Swimmingdancer.. I just stumbled across this http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v34/n11/abs/npp200975a.html

It seems to suggest SSRI's and TCA's do promote neurogenesis in human hippocampi? (regardless of age, sex, etc)

(I maybe wrong.. I'm not exactly well versed in the medical study language)

It's a small and flawed study (understandable, it's a very hard thing to study in humans for obvious reasons) but it does suggest that. Interestingly, almost everyone in that study (aside from the non-depressed non-medicated controls) killed themselves, so I'd hazard a guess that their antidepressants were not helping them ;)

(I am not anti-SSRIs btw, although I may have some bias because in my personal experience they did not help me at all and doctors seem to prescribe them much too readily without enough warning of any potential adverse consequences)

More info: (just hidden to avoid cluttering up the OP's thread if they aren't interested in this discussion :))
I'm not saying there is no evidence linking SSRIs (or other ADs) with neurogenesis, whether in animals or humans, just that different studies come to different conclusions and there is debate in the scientific community about the whole issue and if/how it relates to depression. I don't feel there is evidence to conclude that the possibility of SSRIs promoting neurogenesis is inherently "good" or is responsible for practical beneficial effects. Traumatic brain injury induces neurogenesis.

You can also find studies saying all sorts of things, like "we found that all cell lines investigated underwent apoptotic cell death when exposed to SSRI concentrations exceeding 10 μM" [source].

A review:
Contrary to a widely held belief in psychiatry, studies that purport to show that antidepressants promote neurogenesis are flawed because they all use a method that cannot, by itself, distinguish between neurogenesis and neuronal death. In fact, antidepressants cause neuronal damage and mature neurons to revert to an immature state, both of which may explain why antidepressants also cause neurons to undergo apoptosis (programmed death). Antidepressants can also cause developmental problems, they have adverse effects on sexual and romantic life, and they increase the risk of hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood plasma), bleeding, stroke, and death in the elderly. Our review supports the conclusion that antidepressants generally do more harm than good. However, there may be specific conditions for which their use is warranted (e.g., cancer, recovery from stroke). We conclude that altered informed consent practices and greater caution in the prescription of antidepressants are warranted.[source]
(Not saying their might not be some problems with this review as well, of course)

Last edited:
Thanks heaps for the replies guys, didn't expect even that many!
Its been about 5 weeks now, and i'm slowly improving.

I drunk alcohol on the weekend because I was feeling good, only to suffer some pretty intense rebound anxiety which I've never ever had from alcohol, so I think its clear I need to stay clean for a while and let myself recover. Im going to opt against the SSRI option at this point, only because ive tried Zoloft in the past and it didnt agree with e and made me twice as depressed.

Thanks heaps guys, hope to improve soon!

Great to hear you're doing better! It's a good thing you had some negative effects from the alcohol. Now you'll have learned to stay away from it for a while longer!

Keep it up!

I've got a question though, although it may be stupid its something im itching to know..

Will I be able to go back to dropping (every couple months at MOST)/ socially drinking without this accompanying anxiety!?
I only just got into the clubbing scene as such and really really really love it.

Obviously I need this detox and feel it will be doing me good. But i dont want to have to have panic attacks and anxiety afterwards forever, that sucks. DO you guys think this happened because of the imbalance that is going on atm? Because ofc, im staying off EVERYTHING for at least 3+ months.. but will i be able to have my moderated fun again? Im over experimenting etc and just want to have my occasional roll a couple times a year. Its really bugging me thinking it might never be the same again, but perhaps because my body is readjusting it triggered these feelings and when my equilibrium "normal" state is back I could enjoy some moderated fun again sometime?

Will I be able to go back to dropping (every couple months at MOST)/ socially drinking without this accompanying anxiety!?
I only just got into the clubbing scene as such and really really really love it.

Obviously I need this detox and feel it will be doing me good. But i dont want to have to have panic attacks and anxiety afterwards forever, that sucks. DO you guys think this happened because of the imbalance that is going on atm? Because ofc, im staying off EVERYTHING for at least 3+ months.. but will i be able to have my moderated fun again? Im over experimenting etc and just want to have my occasional roll a couple times a year. Its really bugging me thinking it might never be the same again, but perhaps because my body is readjusting it triggered these feelings and when my equilibrium "normal" state is back I could enjoy some moderated fun again sometime?

You are still young, I don't think any of us can say for sure what will happen when you next time you might try MDMA, but I think you should definitely actively try to pursue the equilibrium you're talking of before trying anything. I think that it's really asking for trouble in the mental health department if you keep doing drugs in your current situation and trust me, you don't want to take any risks there. Personally, I took those risks at a vulnerable age and mental state and it really backfired on me. I didn't even really push it, I was just experimenting with things and ignored all the warning about being predisposed to mental illness etc.

Now MDMA simply makes me psychotic at any 'recreational' dose and low doses just give me terrible anxiety and make me depressed. I was pissed at first, didn't want to believe it and stubbornly dropped multiple times even after starting to react badly to it. Every time I was expecting the euphoria I got to taste once at a young age, but every time made me just feel worse and the after effects lasted longer too. Now that I have finally come to accept this fact, I feel actually relieved! I know others can have really awesome time on it, but me, I'll have a much better time if I steer away from it. I was really bitter at first, even angry at myself, asking why do I have to be like this? But then when I sort of looked at myself as a whole I realized I was happy being me.

I recommend taking a longish break from altering your mind with psychoactive drugs until you get better, that way it will be much safer to see if you can have moderated fun again. Any equilibrium you may feel you achieve while active drug use is temporary at best (in my experience) and usually just screws the balance even worse long term. You sound like you could really benefit from therapy, I believe it's much more effective in making long lasting positive change than any psychiatric drug currently available. Trust me, I've had to try a lot of them. My special other suffers from a plethora of anxiety problems and she feels like therapy is of great help (CBT especially) and I have noticed some very positive changes too.

wow thanks FnX thats an awesome reply. Ive been going to therapy and it seems to be working well.
My only question is atm - i seem to have vision differences, lights seem brighter, things seem kinda hazy.. Is this the anxiety? Bit of post traumatic stress? Im just curious as to why my visions like this? The anxiety is apparently a cause just want some clarity thats all :) thanks heaps for everyones support, defintley taking a lengthy spell off everything. Managed to kick cigarettes for the last 2 weeks too!

Messiness!

Firstly, welcome both to Bluelight and The Dark Side! It certainly appears that you have landed yourself in the right forum based on the nature of your thread, no? ;) :D

Aside from the large amount of positive responses you've received here thus far, Mitch, my mind tends to look at this from a biopsychosocial model, and the severity of the biological haywire you have been subjecting your cerebellum to for too long a time is really dense my friend! Allow me to elucidate a little further, and this may make more sense. We'll see. I'll try =D

So you've stopped everything (by way of substances) that you had listed you were using? That is a PLUS. In your situation, this is without argument the one and only place to start. Congratulations at having taken that dauntingly precious first step. After having taken that step, however, what I'm reading leads me to believe that you are confused as to why you may be feeling the symptoms you have described above or - at the very least - are rightly concerned about their duration?
Again, please correct me if I am wrong; I am not here to make assumptions, only to lay groundwork.

Congratulations on nixing out the nicotine, for it can only augment your anxious feelings. Not to mention inhaling the combusted by-product of lit tobacco wreaks havoc on the cardiopulmonary system, leading to chronic lethargy and a marked decrease in immunological defenses!

Additionally, quitting smoking Cannabis abruptly - in my own experiences coupled with most others' I know of - produces markedly strong states of anhedonia (lacking the ability to find pleasure within those things you used to find pleasurable) that may last up to several weeks. Again, as the relationship between nicotine and anxiety follows, the more of the drugs (THC/CBN) and related metabolites you flush from your body, the greater the likelihood your purgatorial mindset will continue to last!

I'm not sure how much you know about pharmacology, pharmacokinetics or neuroscience, but I'll try to keep it as basic as I can. Consequently, the very first thing I noticed about the content of your thread was how each and every one of your listed symptoms can be explained precisely by the patterns you put your brain through - and what's more, they are ALL interconnected.

Amotivation, depersonalization, irritability & restlessness and depression are most likely the symptomatic results of gross dopamine (DA) receptor down-regulation over the time you spend using dopaminergic drugs heavily, of which MDMA most certainly is one. Any one, in fact who has appreciably abused amphetamines and other like-stimulants for an extended period of time and quit has gone through this sluggish, dark-clouds-everywhere sinkhole. Most DO recover from it, though noticeable recovery does tend to take a rather substantial amount of time, I'm afraid. But the picture only grows dimmer the moment you choose to put another centrally-acting dopamine agonist in your body - so please don't do that in the meantime. The habitual use of Pramiprexole and MDMA would be my first choices as culprits for your brain not releasing as much DA as it once did, and for the reduction in efficacy of your DAT (dopamine transporters). Your brain has become so accustomed to having its dopamine-transporting and releasing capabilities catered to by drugs that the dopiminergic parts of your striatum, prefrontal cortex and mesolimbic system have become "out of shape." As your abstinence from those types of drugs continues your body will regain homeostasis and ought to reach full equilibrium once more.

Nootropics are something I am fond of, because they helped me cope with DA downregulation on many occasions where I have abused MD(M/E)A, methamphetamine, amphetamines, dex/methylphenidate, propylhexedrine, MDPV... you getit.

I found that taking the chemical precursors necessary to the human body for its biosynthesis of dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine to be of utmost value - taking the supplements in a daily regimen helped lessen the initial whopping "BLOW" that you are likely feeling right now!
I recommend doing some research into L-Tyrosine; in the human body, phenylalanine is converted to l-tyrosine. Thanks to a certain enzyme (TH, for our purposes), l-tyrosine is then converted into levodopa which is itself crucial to the brain's natural production and release of dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenaline).

With the adequate production of those three neurotransmitters will come your motivation, sense of reality and vigor for things that you may not be able to find as much joy in at the moment. The key is patience.
(The enzyme TH, by the way, comes into play again later on in this post, so remember it!)

An extremely likely cause of your depression and insomnia (and, perhaps, any issues with appetite?) is the downregulation of the serotonin (SE) receptors, much like what probably occurred with your DA. SE is called the "mood chemical" for a variety of reasons, primarily because it dictates so many fundamental aspects of being human such as how happy, baseline or depressed we are, the regulation of our appetites, thirst, body temperature, circadian rhythms - hell, even our sex drives! Weekly use of MDMA has left many-a-candyraver (myself included) in a deluge of funk when we simply don't have enough SE left after releasing so much at once to maintain these regulatory mechanisms!

Have you heard of the common MDMA-culture phrase, "I'm having a case of the Tuesdays?" If not, that is referring to the fact that after a weekend of rolling face and overstimulating those SE receptors, it takes about two days before the crash hits. And that day is "Tuesday - The Day That Serotonin Skipped Town" :D

As with any instance of receptor downregulation, time is going to be the number one factor involved in successfully recovering. Nootropics again can be of immense benefit, here. 5-HTP is an ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL precursor to the production not only of SE, but also of melatonin - the substance in our brain that is released in response to darkness-exposure, induces drowsiness at bedtime, and mitigates the many peaks and troughs comprising our nightly treks through (ideally) Slow-Wave, REM and nREM sleep!

In order for any of the aforementioned techniques (abstinence, the passage of time, l-Tryptophan and 5-HTP) to have any appreciable impact, your mind needs consistent rest so that it may function to coddle your depleted neurotransmitters and impaired receptor function back to where it belongs.

...The steroids. 18 years young, eh, man? Far too young to be messing with such a valuable Axis of your mind. And the Axis of which I speak is the HPA Axis (the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis). The HPA Axis is not only very sensitive to the introduction of exogenous steroids to the human body, but it also mediates the creation and movement of such a wide variety of glucosteroids, corticosteroids, neurohormones, neurotransmitters and proteins that a disturbance here creates a disturbance ever-y-where. This chain plays such a huge role in the endocrine system that I am lacking the ability to convey to you just how important getting your endocrine system realigned is going to be. Stay away from the exogenous steroids, Mitch!!

The HPA obviously has three parts in the system.
The Hypothalamus releases hormones that interact with the Pituitary Gland (which "...secretes nine hormones that regulate homeostasis,") to influence key aspects of our physiological being itself. These include the release of cortisol (our primary stress hormone, compounding on your anxiety) and vasopressin which plays integral roles not only in critical organ functions (liver, kidneys, et al.) but also "...accumulating evidence suggests it plays an important role in social behavior, sexual motivation and bonding, and maternal responses to stress."

This is where the importance of the enzyme TH comes back into play. It is crucial to the functioning of the Thyroid Gland (one of the largest endocrine systems in the whole body!). The thyroid "...controls how quickly the body uses energy, makes proteins, and controls how sensitive the body is to other hormones."

And that brings us to "a" in the HPA Axis, or the Adrenals. The adrenals "...are chiefly responsible for releasing hormones in response to stress through the synthesis of corticosteroids such as cortisol and catecholamines such as epinephrine (adrenaline) and norepinephrine. They also produce androgens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What on Earth does this all mean for you?? It can be very confusing, and I feel badly about just how detailed I got in my explanations, but I believe the complexity of this triad of these keystone processes that essentially define our individual psychological and physiological worlds illustrates the fact that you are up against it! SO DON'T FEEL SO BADLY ABOUT FEELING SO BADLY, my friend. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Your brain is still young, and (compared to an adult's) relatively plastic. Fried neurons will regenerate; new ones will be formed; circadian rhythms will be developed; neurotransmitters will not only begin to be produced in sufficient quantities, but released timely into the synapse and transported to their receptors; your stress hormone concentrations will subside.

And suddenly, there wasn't a ripple in the pond.
I guess you could say the biggest issue here is that it was a pretty huge boulder ya chucked into the water.
Give it time. You'll get there!

MitchPerry94 said:

My life is dictated by the global underground. The rave culture is MY culture. Yes, I wear sunglasses at night!
The music, however, is my drug.

Best wishes <3
~ Vaya

Last edited:
Vaya's post is absolutely fucking awesome! Tonnes of great stuff in there. Well worth a read even if he does tend to get a bit technical with DA receptors and what not at somepoints :p

I'm a bit like you actually. Only i'm a year older, very similar story though minus the body building stuff.

I also suffer from anxiety and periods of depression. Infact even how our anxiety started off seems to be really quite similar mine was from a pretty horrific 5-MEO-DALT trip though, after taking a stupidly high dose.

Unfortunatly, and this is of course just a armchair theory but due to the nature of what you've been doing to yourself over the past couple of years its possible you may have a underlying mental health problem. Im not saying you do but its just a possibility, and if you for instance go and see your GP (Local doctor) it is likely what they will assume.

Its a wise move to stay away for anti-depressants, i've been through several recently and all have had rather nasty side effects for me :(

Also and i'm not sure this has been made particularly clear enough to you. But congratulations dude! Kicking all of those habits just like that is not something that can be taken light heartedly and you seem to have just taken it all in your stride :)
Particularly impressed with the nicotine and weed, its easy to get Dependant on these to (Psychologically speaking in weeds case) and physically in nicotines. Ive had a 20 a day habit for almost 6 years now :(

As for the anxiety, as others have said bare in mind that kicking all of this will have some roll on effects so for awhile it will be a little (or lot) worse. I used to smoke around 4g of weed a day for around 3 years and remember feeling really out of sorts for awhile when I stopped. And like everything was not really real as you described.

Other than that, Exercise can be useful I agree, i'd perhaps avoid the whole lifting weights thing for awhile though, purely just to avoid temptation. Theres no reason you cant get back to it later. Perhaps try some aerobic exercise instead? you've already been the buffest mo fo in the world by the sounds of things why not try be the fittest for abit!? :p You say you live in Australia I could imagine a run in that sort of scenery could actually end up being something really special. In england the best scenery we get is occasionally theres a cow in a field somewhere!

Sleep is also important, its when your body and brain recovers, so make sure your getting enough of it!

Also try and eat right, you will be amazed at how much this actually helps as its such a little thing. But it turns out your mum was right about your vegetables after all! :D

Finally, if you are suffering with this, it doesn't have to be alone, if you have a close friend or 2 perhaps confide in them. You don't have to give them the whole story but perhaps a few details here and there or whatever and then you will have someone to lean on and talk to in real life whenever it all starts feeling a bit crazy. Everyone here will do everything they possibly can to help you out, but we can really only go so far. I cant stress the importance of this last point actually, I really wish id have done this, but I didn't and I was very private about everything and now i've been left alone for months i'd hate to see you go down the same path.

Good Luck!

Wow.. Thank you so much everyone especially Vaya- that post is EXATCLY what i needed, an analysis from a chemical point of view. I had some background knowledge regarding the receptors, just needed reassurance they could upregulate again! Your post was amazing. Thanks also to TheProcrastinator, its always good to know you're not alone. I cant express enough how thankful i am for these replies. The hope its given me is incredible. Ill get back to my real self soon I can feel it!

Wow.. Thank you so much everyone especially Vaya- that post is EXATCLY what i needed, an analysis from a chemical point of view. I had some background knowledge regarding the receptors, just needed reassurance they could upregulate again! Your post was amazing. Thanks also to TheProcrastinator, its always good to know you're not alone. I cant express enough how thankful i am for these replies. The hope its given me is incredible. Ill get back to my real self soon I can feel it!

So glad I could be of help, Mitch! I think assessing problems such as the ones that prompted the creation of this thread from the biopsychosocial (the Biological, Psychological and Social) approach provides the most poignant angles whose various viewpoints tend to coalesce into something with greater clarity. If anything was too technical for you, I'd be happy to elaborate on it. That was one of the longest posts I've written in some time, but it was pure pleasure because I got to discuss topics that I LOVE in the name of helping someone in a sticky situation that I, myself, have been in on more than one occasion.