• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Need information for research on Consumption of Iodex

Status
Not open for further replies.

reyqaz

Bluelighter
Hello dear fellow members!
I have been very interested in the chemical compounds in Iodex - the pain relief balm. Many youth in the Indian news have been reported as abusing the ointment by spreading it on bread and YES, Eating it! The mere image of it draws a 8( on my face.
I wasn't able to find any case studies on this matter, and I thought you guys could be of some help?

Formula: Gandapuro tel (wintergreen oil)
Turpine ka tel
nilgiri
Pudinah ka phool
lavang ka tel
in ointment base

V2:
Diclofenac diethylamine BP 1.16% w/w (equivalent to diclofenac Sodium 1% w/w), Methyl
Salicylate IP 10% w/w, Menthol IP 5% w/w in a water soluble base

Any of these inhibit any relation to the addictive behaviors exhibited?

Thanks a lot

This should under NO CIRCUMSTANCES be consumed orally.

It is not psychoactive. Diclofenac is an NSAID (non-steroidal antiinflammatory, like ibuprofen. Good for external use on sore joints, muscles, etc.) but that is all.

Many essential oils are toxic taken internally, wintergreen oil is particularly so, causing amongst other symptoms of toxicity, liver and kidney damage, internal irritation, even death. This will cleave to salicylate, and LOTS of it, as well as leaving that methyl group around to be metabolized eventually to formaldehyde and formate, the same toxic metabolites of methanol responsible for ocular toxicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergreen_Oil Excessive skin contact has caused death.

I wonder why there are still many engineering students resorting to the use of this substance, they have sworn by it comparing the highs with that of hash and marijuana, The articles are posted in the Times of India, which definitely is a trustable source. Strange! 8(

Usually news outlets are really poor sources for drug stories. Every street drug is *always* a new latest lethal high kids are abusing for a cheap rush. There is never a sense of perspective.

There's absolutely nothing in this gel that would cause psychotropic effects. The menthol and methyl salicylate would taste pleasantly cooling and minty though. Not that I'd eat them in ggreat quantities - but they are used safely as flavouring agents. LimpetChicklen is right though, overconsumption of wintergreen oil in particular can cause bad side effects similar to an aspirin overdose.

It's likely this is nothing more than a news-incited mania, where people are doing it because news outlets say "it's a powerful drug and you should never do it!". The same thing happened with glue-sniffing in the USA - it only became a problem because the media demonised it so much.

Usually news outlets are really poor sources for drug stories. Every street drug is *always* a new latest lethal high kids are abusing for a cheap rush. There is never a sense of perspective.

There's absolutely nothing in this gel that would cause psychotropic effects. The menthol and methyl salicylate would taste pleasantly cooling and minty though. Not that I'd eat them in ggreat quantities - but they are used safely as flavouring agents. LimpetChicklen is right though, overconsumption of wintergreen oil in particular can cause bad side effects similar to an aspirin overdose.

It's likely this is nothing more than a news-incited mania, where people are doing it because news outlets say "it's a powerful drug and you should never do it!". The same thing happened with glue-sniffing in the USA - it only became a problem because the media demonised it so much.

This This This.

I'm going to close this thread. Diclofenac is not psychoactive and the other compounds in the product mentioned are not safe for ingestion. Do not consume Iodex.

Status
Not open for further replies.