• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What to tell your doctor about your opiate addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnal7

Greenlighter
Lets say, someone suffers through opiate addiction and they'd like to try getting clean. They've always heard about methadone clinics, but that option is not available for her. This addict lives in a small town, where the prices and quality sucks. She may want to detox from opiates, but her only option is to see a doctor and get put on suboxone. She is okay with this and will do whatever it takes to get clean.

My question is, what steps does this addict need to take to opiate detox? Trusting friends have recommended specific doctors and she will make the appointment to see the doctor of her choice. She was also told by her trusting friends and significant other, to just be honest with the doctor and she shouldn't have a problem getting put on subs. I am just curious, what can the doctor legally do and not do if she is honest about her opiate addiction. The doctor this junkie has selected, is a script doctor who will prescribe buprenorphine to addicts. Her goal is to use this prescription to get off drugs and mainly help with withdrawal.

Is it wise that she is honest with her (script) doctor? Will the doctor require that she goes into rehab/NA? Will the addict become 'red flagged', medically? Please share your stories, if you've known or heard of anyone who has seen a doctor to get on subs to treat their addiction, and not go to a methadone clinic.

I told my doctor about my heroin addiction right after I beat it because I was having problems with PAWS. I was completely honest with him about the situation. I was not really red-flagged. I asked to never be given an opiate again. I still get my adderall scripts from him, so, it's not like he totally flagged me. I think if you have a decent relationship with your doctor, and you are completely honest about your situation, you will have little to no problems, and not black listed, forced into rehab or meetings....

Use the bupe for a fast taper....no longer than a week.... that's my advice.... good luck!

Is it wise that she is honest with her (script) doctor? Will the doctor require that she goes into rehab/NA? Will the addict become 'red flagged', medically? Please share your stories, if you've known or heard of anyone who has seen a doctor to get on subs to treat their addiction, and not go to a methadone clinic.

All these questions regarding medical law and procedures differ from region to region and city to city, town to town, and even doctor to doctor. There is no way to provide a definitive answer.

Just be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.