• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How Does Canned Air Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfischer218

Bluelighter
Ive done quite a few searches on this before and never really got a straight answer. I used to do it a few years back even after I had extensive drug experience and never really seemed to be able to find a straight answer. Some people say its just oxygen deprivation, but from what I've felt it seems like more than that. Ive been clean for a few weeks now off everything and just found a thing of canned air so I gave it a whirl.

Any idea whats going on when I do this? Obviously its REALLY unhealthy, I literally feel like im dying every time I do it, so im not going to continue, im just wondering what exactly is going on when I do it.

Canned air (difluoroethane) works through a similar mechanism of other anesthetic hydrocarbons (and to some extent alcohol) - ethyl chloride, diethyl ether, butane, cyclopropane, et cetera, by interfering with GABA-A transmission, interfering with cellular membrane fluidity, and blocking various ion channels. It's more than oxygen deprivation.

The interference with cardiac ion channels is what is seriously fucking bad with many inhalants. Inhalant gases block a protien called hERG, which is not good as it can make the time between heart beats elongate. Among others, inhaling fluoroethanes can cause Sudden Sniffer's Death, where cardiac conduction is blocked and your heart stops beating.

Please, don't abuse canned air. The haloalkanes have a tremendous risk for cardiac incidents. If you are going to abuse inhalants, stick with (comparatively heart-safe) diethyl ether... Really thoguh you should not be doing inhalants at all.

Great answer, its exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Yea, im not planning on continuing it, ill just smoke a bowl or something if I want to catch a buzz.

My friends attended a party a few years back where someone was huffing canned air. The guy was bragging about how great it was, etc. The next day, he was killed in a car crash. The moron was huffing air while driving down the road.

On another note, I went to a very well known rehab. The doctors' there said that they had seen every type of addict, from those drinking gallons of liquor a day, to those addicted to caffeine. But not once have they ever treated anyone for a dependence on huffing any kind of gas because they don't live long enough to become addicted.

You are literally destroying your brain cells by doing such reckless behavior and I am closing this thread. Bluelight will not condone such activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.