• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kanna (Sceletium Tortuosum) - I have used you for everything , you truly are magical

aguythatlikessmoke

Bluelighter
I am addicted to this Succulent Herb known as Kanna ( Sceletium Tortuosum)
I have a psychological addiction to it, I have been using it for 3 months or so with breaks in between.

I just have to say that its effects are remarkable. I have never found a herb like this, it is subtle yet strong. It is light and gentle yet hard and powerful at the same time..

I have noticed a lot of positive effects with Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum
As follows:
It can decrease your appetite thus if you are prone to overeating or if you have trouble following a proper diet Kanna can help you by reducing cravings to food
and it just causes you to feel less hunger and urges to eat

It can cause you to feel good, it reduces anxiety at an unbelievably good level I consider it a must have substance for any person prone to anxiety and this herb is more-so effective on the anxious individual than on the person who is not anxious.

It causes your mind to feel at ease, little things that bothered you at this instant do not bother you. If your in head a lot and your over thinking crap all of the time this side chatter stops you can feel calm you can just feel the moment.

It reduces tension,stress anxiety a lot. Depression is reduced as well it can stimulate and motivate you as well. It works as an Antidepressant. Makes me wonder if it is good for ADD or ADHD because I noticed that it has a motivating effect.

It has a potentiating and a mixing effect with many substances such as Caffeine, Alcohol,Cannabis, Amphetamine

It can completely cure an Amphetamine crash :D No kidding I put a gram in my mouth and put some gum in my mouth and chew on the gum a lot( 20 minutes) and let the powder get absorbed through my mouth and my Amphetamine crash is numbed down a lot no depression, no anxiety, paranoia all gone

It seems to reduce cravings towards other substances and it has a kick ass combo with Cannabis literally removing all anxiety on Cannabis whilst causing you to get more giggles and more stoned no kidding on this and to enter a positive thought train whilst high:D

It can cause crazy things to happen if you drink whilst your taking Kanna something similiar to taking Benzos or Antidepressants with Booze a similar effect

But most of all if you use it orally or sublingually which to me are the most effective methods of usage you will noticed that you feel more calmed down a hell load wow it is unbelievable relief I can't emphasize this and I can't believe that Kanna doesn't work for people. I am an anxious individual and Kanna worked oh so well for me. It calms, relaxes, decreases tension and stress, increases concentration and focus motivation, Increases sociability, increases sexual drive and can cause you to get horny. Its natures most powerful antidepressant and yea I felt a lot of positive things from this it can turn an anxious individuals life around and yea they have extracts of this I reckon the extracts are more potent than pharmaceutical grade antidepressants.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_sceletiumtortuosum
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_experienced
explevel_retrospective
exptype_positive
exptype_glowing
roacode_oral
roacode_sublingual

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I have heard of kanna but never knew the effects. From what you said it sounds like it could counteract many of the side effects of antipsychotics. Might try and get hold of some and see if that is the case now. Thanks for the report.

Hmm. I am going to have to try it again. Oral administration, right (I have read of people snorting the stuff, and that is not going to happen)?

Last time I tried it, I mixed it with my yogurt, and not only did it taste like liquid hay, it did not do a damn thing.

I consider this Plant somewhat divine. I can completely understand groups such as the Aztecs, Incas( Coca Plant) and such. Certain tribes in Africa have been using Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum for over 1000 years. I am actually experiencing a very nice high on it right now. Think of Coffee now think of Kanna it is like caffeine but antagonist effect with each additional dose your calmer, more relaxed, intense muscle relaxation actually pleasurable I feel knots in my abdomen area and I feel a lot warmer over my whole body and the high builds up I took my dosage at 6.15 this evening now I am feeling very relaxed and I feel a mood lift and as I stated before nothing bothers me all of my tensions, anxieties worries are lifted and I have quite a nice strong body high. It is very sedating though you will still be able to Perform your normal physical activities. It is nootropic and it increases memory and mental perfomance, but it lifts Anxiety so nicely and it feels Euphoric. Can you believe that I chew on Kanna with bubble gum sublingually at regular intervals throughout the day and then at night I take a high oral dosage of 3 grams. The effects keep building up, Calm Sensation, warmth, Euphoric, Sedated but it is not like Opiods different. Its as potent as Xanax if you know how to use it. I am a master of Sceletium Tortuosum Infact I enjoy it more than Xanax, I use to take Benzos a lot but now I dont need benzos with Kanna Around though if you would combine Kanna with Benzos that would be the most intense Antidepressant, Anxiolytic effect.....=D

It also increases apprecation of music:), it causes knots to form in my abdomen area with intense muscular relaxation and a complete LOSS OF APPETITE Excellent for weight loss , What I most love is the head high just very calm though your not losing your mind or anything People cant even tell you took something.

KANNA seems to have MIXED properties Sometimes it stimulates other times it sedates. Its Sedative effects are strong, It can even decrease Pain and Induce Sleep. Its Stimulative effect is like Caffeine .

KAnna is addictive to me though cause its really good the positive effects fuck a life without anxiety and depression and worries is awesome even if it is for a few hours. It has a withdrawal somewhat similiar to Amphetamines but a lot lighter.

Hmm. I am going to have to try it again. Oral administration, right (I have read of people snorting the stuff, and that is not going to happen)?

Last time I tried it, I mixed it with my yogurt, and not only did it taste like liquid hay, it did not do a damn thing.

First of try and buy from a proper vendor your Kanna second off use gum and put some in your mouth and chew them gum let it dissolve sublingually and do this for about 20 minutes if the saliva builds up in your mouth do not swallow it let it saturate your mouth after 15 minutes you can swallow it. Second you can try 1 large or two small tablespoons orally and swallow it with water.

It feels pleasurable too and Euphoric good. Hard to perfectly describe but as above it is the best of my description. Perhaps I do have a sensitivity to it or I react to it differently. Nonetheless though what the internet states about Kanna is completely true it has marked anxiolytic activity. And I have used it in combination with Cannabis to reduce Marijuana's anxiety and paranoia inducing effects and I have used it with Amphetamine to weaken the anxiogenic effects and to ease the crashes.

It has mixed effects though like stimulative and Sedative and you never know how it will react with you usually it starts of as mild to moderate stimulation that ends in Moderate to heavy sedation. The stimulative effects are mild and they are not as harsh on you as Caffeine per say and not as anxiogenic as Amphetamine but pleasant nonetheless I would compare its stimulative effect somewhat to Cocaine. I will post below as to why;

One Day I bought a 1 gram 15 times strength extract of Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum and I opted to take half a gram or .25 gram of it. I decided to go to the library and study there, Now what I love the most about this extract was that it was strong it stimulated me exceptionally and I felt very social, I would talk to everybody, I felt a complete loss of social anxiety, I would laugh smile giggle a lot. I felt happy. I could not feel a single negative thought a single negative emotion or any tension what so ever. It was a nice stimulation, I felt energized, happy, Outgoing and in plain all Good. This was an extract of course and I took a high dosage By the way though I felt similar effects with Regular Kanna especially initially when I started to use it, Now I still feel good and a loss of Anxiety on Regular Kanna and Euphoric on Regular Kanna though I feel more sedated and less stimulated on Regular Kanna. I think its because I have been using Regular Kanna for a while and I built up somewhat of a tolerance to some of its effects.

One more note its Mood boosting effects are not just present in one day but sometimes an afterglow can result too. Which means I would wake up the next day feeling happier more relaxed and more content and more energized to start the day, Somewhat similar to a mushroom afterglow no lie no lie. It has Antidepressant effects and it can also make lights and trees and nature appear brighter and you can feel a connection to nature, Empathy can also be noted, Interpersonal ease, Personal insight to life issues , Meditative state.:)

I also noticed that Exercise can boost the Antidepressant effects of Kanna,Sceletium Tortuosum. I also noticed that you can use this herb for meditation, body relaxation techniques it allows you to feel a better connection to your soul, to your body to your emotions and enables you to control tension better.

Now I know I wrote a lot but damn I have been experimenting and using this herb at times daily for a full month and it has effects obviously its not gonna get you high like Meth or make you feel like you took Heroine and stuff. The effects Of Kanna intensity-wise is more Comparable to Kratom and Cannabis maybe its a little bit lighter than those two but deff more intense than caffeine and its better than some Pharmaceutical Antidepressant out there and its better for calming you down that Valeriana, Skullcaps and its a heck load of better than that St.Johns wort.

:D Please if anybody can Input and would like to exchange ideas it would be nice.

Oh yea I prefer the Kanna Sceletium Tortuosum high a lot more than Kratom and yea I have seen People get addicted to Kratom funny thing is I have somewhat of an addiction to Kanna as stated I have gonna through 2 months of daily usage. But I have never felt such addictive tendencies to Kratom funny how we react to things??? You know I have been researching psychoactive plants& Alkaloids turns out Humans consume Psychoactive plants that tend to balance their own issues or Neurochemical imbalances or that tend to give humans the vitamins, amino acids or other agents that are missing from the Body. Actually A pharmacologist has stated that getting high or altering mental state is the 4,5th drive in Humans as essential as sex, food, water, sleep. I completely agree.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase sometimes the stimulative effects on Kanna sceletium Tortuosum are more pleasant than that noted on Caffeine and it seems to touch the Dopamine receptors because when you feel stimulated on it. It is comparable to very weak dosages of Cocaine and Amphetamines. Heck if you get good Extract I sometimes would think it would make you feel social, Good Euphoric like you had a line of Coke or something though not as intense physically for your body , ( Kanna extracts they are awesome its like all of the effects with regular Kanna times five a lot of smiling, feeling good no anxiety, being happy and Euphoria) . Its good all I can say better than Kratom. Cause I build a fast tolerance to Kratom and Kratom I enjoyed the effects( but the nausea and the fact that the Euphoria left me fast with Kratom too) somehow I like Kanna more I find I feel better on Sceletium Tortuosum than when I take Kratom. And Kanna it is very Euphoric wow Especially if mixed with Marijuana it has a strong synergist effect and a strong synergist effect with Alcohol makes you feel like you drank and you took Antidepressants or benzos.

Yes and it makes the sensual or the touching experience better too, I had sex on it too it felt damn good I lasted longer and I performed better and I enjoyed it more and I enjoy masturbating on it as well:D It is known to increase Libido . I guess you could call Kanna, Sceletium Tortuosum Natures MDMA.

It is proven to release Serotonin in your brain and to effect Dopamine receptors.

To me Kanna is Pleasurable. I am so happy that I Found out about this herb and Honestly its very safe and I think I will continue to use this for quite sometime and even if I quit using it I will not forget about it.
Psychiatrists seem to dispense it in Rehab centers , Perhaps it even has anti addictive Effects it seems effective for Alcohol withdrawal In South Africa a tea is made out of Kanna to ween Alcoholics off Alcohol.
That is right Folks Anti Addictive effects to other substances It could reduce Cravings especially to Cocaine, Amphetamine, Nicotine and Alcohol.

It itself is Addictive the Kanna but not Physically more so Emotionally and Psychologically. It is Excellent for Some mild Amphetamine withdrawal.:D

I really hope that this Herb stays legal Along with Kratom. I really hope that Big Pharma or that the Medical people do more research into Kanna and that it is sold as a replacement to St.Johns wort and that more People are able to get their hands on Proper Extracts and Proper Kanna Powder The extracts are especially good and potent.
It has medicinal values. By far if you suffer from Anxiety,tension,stress,Depression,Mood swings, Dark Grey Cold feelings find a way to get your hand on Some Kanna.
If your suffering from Cocaine, Meth, Amphetamine withdrawal or Craving again find some Kanna it could alleviate your suffering.

I hope more research is done into medical plants and medical alkaloids and psychoactive plants especially these ones that could benefit Humanity significantly.

Cheers for the information. Try to use the edit button in the future. It makes the the thread less cluttered.

Sublingual though? I do not know if I could stomach it. If it tastes anything like Kratom (it has been some time, I do not remember how strong the taste was), I could not.

Cheers for the information. Try to use the edit button in the future. It makes the the thread less cluttered.

Sublingual though? I do not know if I could stomach it. If it tastes anything like Kratom (it has been some time, I do not remember how strong the taste was), I could not.

Its taste is Neutral, it does not have a bitter strong taste like Kratom. The Bubble gum and chewing gum will block out its taste. You could also take a tablespoon or two and swallow it and follow that with water. Yes I will try my best with the Edit but I suck:D

Sceletium tortuosum grows in the Cape Provinces of South Africa. The San tribes have used it as an intoxicant for thousands of years. Dutch traders began purchasing it from the Hottentots somewhere in the mid-1600's.
The native people's called it kanna, or channa, and the Dutch named it kaugoed, which translates roughly as "good to chew on."
The plant is a creeping succulent, with yellow flowers. Traditionally the entire plant is allowed to ferment. The fermentation process involves crushing the plant up, then sealing it in an airtight space. Apparently, this process increases the concentration of active alkaloids while decreasing oxalate levels. The end result is a powder that can be used as a snuff, chewed, smoked or made into a tea.
Many report the high to be much like marijuana. Others report an empathogenic effect, closer to ecstasy. In lower doses it has a sedative action, while in larger doses it begins with an initial stimulant effect, followed by sedation. The intoxication is less physical, and more mental than marijuana, with euphoria being the most commonly reported effect. Daily low doses have been used effectively to treat anxiety, mild depression, and addiction (especially alcohol). Using it in combination with cannabis appears to cause a synergiy that potentiates both plants.
The main active chemical in sceletium is mesembrine, though it contains several others. It also contains large quantities of tryptophan, the precursor to serotonin. In studies sponsored by NIMH, mesembrine has been demonstrated to act on the serotonin, dopamine, and adrenalin receptors. It is believed that it may act as an SSRI like Prozac.
I may have an article on this showing up in Heads magazine soon, so watch for that.
I really, really like kanna and wish there was more info out there about it. The effects, in my opinion, are like a euphoric marijuana high, with a benzo body buzz instead of a pot body buzz

another user about his experience.

there is a lot about Kanna on erowid.

Of 'kougoed', some felt that there was a synergistic effect with alcohol, and with smoked 'dagga' (Cannabis sativa). One experimenter, a poly-substance abuser, used 'kougoed' in addition to alcohol (whisky) and smoked 'dagga'. He experienced a traumatic flashback to a violent event he had participated in during a regional armed conflict. Another experimenter, who on two separate occasions smoked 'dagga' after chewing 'kougoed', reported seeing distinct visions of the Sceletium flower and was able to accurately describe its form and colour, without ever having seen a specimen of it. The chewing of 'kougoed' was reported to greatly enhance the psychoactivity of an inferior grade of Cannabis smoked shortly thereafter (see also 4, above, Paterson's commentary on synergism).

Last edited:
Kanna displays reverse tolerance, priming is essential Sometimes you need to use it for a few days in a row as the psychoactive effects compound as I would like to call it. This week I have been eating and swallowing Kanna taking it subingually and today I proceeded to Snort Kanna two small lines. Effects amplify after daily usage, snorting it is highly potent little powder is required for very strong effects. It is Narcotic, Anxiolytic in Nature very calming The high is a lot better than Kratom.:D Appreciation of Music is increased, Intense Muscular relaxation happens I feel powerful knots in my stomach and intense muscular relaxation across my whole back , Increased relaxation, Euphoria , a good relaxed feeling. The Muscular relaxation is very intense as well, I feel knots in my stomach , knots in my stomach and my whole body has a very strong body high similiar to Marijuana and more intense than Kratom. Dont throw away your Kanna buy it from a good vendor and give it a shot and remember for most potent effects Priming is essential. This week all methods of consumption worked for me but I felt very strong effects from Snorting and swallowing the powder. A narcotic effect. It is like an antidepressant but a lot better. It is like MDMA or MDA or methylone but opposite a lot more mellow, sedating instead of stimulating.It has synergistic effects with Coffee as well.
I think Kanna is one of the mellow things out there most certainly a powerful Herbal Antidepressant. You have no idea how good of a high I got today on Kanna. The kanna high is 10 times better than the Kratom high.=D

But yea on kanna Priming is no doubt evident cause I had a 4 day break of usage then when I started to use Kanna, Sceletium Tortuosum. The high on my first day was weaker but now I am using it for the 2nd or 3rd day in a row and it is a heck load more intense Sometimes you need to do priming within the same day and redose a few times before it hits you or at least use it daily , you will rep the benefits of Sceletium Tortuosum. Priming did its trick.

Remember that with Kanna the first 1-3 hour are pure pleasure to me the Euphoria on Kanna exceeds that of the kratom , slight stimulation, intense sedation possibly as well moderate sedation. The narcotic effects are strong I feel muscle relaxation like no other and I feel strong knots in my stomach forming from the muscle relaxation. I feel relaxed and nothing bothers me, nothing bothers me All anxiety and worries about the future lifted. So basically the first hour to the 3rd hour it is Euphoric , Anxiolytic effects continue throughout the day at least form 5-8 hours.

The muscle relaxation is insane though I have knots in my stomach and I am feeling a complete Body high from back to front and the knots in my stomach make me feel like I need to eat yet my whole appetite is eliminated. Yea no doubt Kanna reduces Hunger.

I have a strange tendency to redose throughout the day, It also kills my cravings to all other substances. It has anti addictive effects.
Excellent for Stimulant addiction as I stated before.
You gotta know how to use this Herb Properly it is amazing.

The main thing about Kanna is that its mellow it combines good with Weed makes your Pot highs even more narcotic and mellow and that kanna by itself is relaxing, sedating , narcotic mellow.
Sometimes Euphoric othertimes not as much.
But it has got to be the best Herbal Anxiolytic I have ever tried it is better than Kratom and Kava to me at least.
I need to get a good vendor for Kava Kava or some good paste I want to give that a go in the coming weeks its a benzo agonist so it could be Euphoric or pleasurable too.

Last edited:
do you feel any negative side effects? how hard is it on livers and kidneys and other organs? cheers.

The only negative side effects from this stuff is that I don't give a shit for anything! literally...i just laugh at it all...

Man, I have tried kanna a few times from a sample I got, not for quite a while though. I had read that the proper way to use it is to snort it, a small amount, so that's what I did. Every time it very quickly produced an intense, anxious, depressed state for an hour or so, very unpleasant, with a racing heart and a lot of nervousness. I hated it, it was basically the exact opposite of what is described here. And it was VERY potent, I didn't want to snort much plant matter so I really did a very small amount each time. I've never tried it orally or sublingually though. This does pique my curiosity.

Kanna does not agree with me. Makes me edgy, anxious and irritable.

The few times I tried it (orally) were pretty dysphoric and miserable. Nothing overpowering but I would not try it again. It's like an anti-antidepressant.

How on earth could we explain users experiencing both euphoria and dysphoria from this herb?