• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzo WD (cold turkey)/dependence

tnemelE

Greenlighter
Hi, I know there's alot of posts about this already, but each is unique and I'd like some help. Anyway..

I suffer from GAD/Agoraphobia/Panic Disorder and in an effort to not let it run my life, I got prescribed benzos by my GP as a "take as needed" use. Recently I travelled to the states for a vacation, being agoraphobic and all, I needed the benzos alot. I was prescribed 50 1mg Lorazepam/Ativan tabs, I took around 25 of these over a period of 32 days, there were some days where I took 2 tabs for example when I was flying there and back as I was travelling for around 13 hours each way and they wear off pretty quick, so I'd estimate I was taking 1mg 4-5 days a week for the 4 weeks I was there. It's been 2 days since I got back and I've been suffering from insomnia and lack of appetite and a little anxiety, I'm just not sure if it's from coming off the benzos or just a simple case of jet lag.

I will say that I'm not a newcomer to benzos.. I took around 10 2mg diazepam in June last year, around 10-14 lorazepam 1mg in August last year, around 10-14 lorazepam 1mg in April this year, around 15 or so 1mg lorazepam in June this year and again around 15 in August before taking the 25 in the past month and I've had no problems so far.

My main concern is a seizure since I live alone.. and I've heard it's possible even after going cold turkey after only a few weeks of benzos so I'm pretty terrified right now which definitely isn't helping.

tl;dr: how likely is it to be suffering benzo withdrawals and physical dependance after taking 25 1mg lorazepam tabs in just over a month? And how common are seizures when going cold turkey from benzos? Shall I try and see my GP asap and try and taper off with diazepam? Am I simply over-reacting?

Thanks in advance!

If you suffer from GAD/Agoraphobia and panic disorder, then why would you want to quit using the medication that is prescribed for these conditions?
Your doses are really not that high and you seem to be taking them in a very responsible manner.
However if you do want to stop taking them then I would consult with your GP first.

From what I have read in your post, I would agree with your last sentence (over-reacting).
But I wouldn't just stop taking them, not because of the "cold turkey" issue, but because of the underlying conditions that they were prescribed for.

Update us on any further developments and we can assist you further.

If you suffer from GAD/Agoraphobia and panic disorder, then why would you want to quit using the medication that is prescribed for these conditions?
Your doses are really not that high and you seem to be taking them in a very responsible manner.
However if you do want to stop taking them then I would consult with your GP first.

From what I have read in your post, I would agree with your last sentence (over-reacting).
But I wouldn't just stop taking them, not because of the "cold turkey" issue, but because of the underlying conditions that they were prescribed for.

Update us on any further developments and we can assist you further.
Thanks for the reply, I want to get off them because after researching, benzo withdrawal seems to be the worst type of withdrawal, and I believe I would be ok (not 100% ok but good enough to somewhat function in panicy situations with a beta-blocker that I also take as it's mostly the physical symptoms that affect me and not mental symptoms, although I would still use benzos very infrequently, just not 25 in a month like I just did.)

Still not feeling so good, tossed and turned in bed for 3 hours last night before falling into a bad sleep where I was waking up all the time and minutes asleep felt like hours. Again it could possibly just be jet lag, and I doubt I can see my doctor before monday earliest and I guess I'll know by then whether I'm suffering from withdrawals or not.

Edit: Earliest I can see my GP is tuesday afternoon, would it be wise to take 0.5mg/0.25mg lorazepam a day until then if I start feeling alot worse or should I just ride it out since it's been around 60 hours or so since my last dose?

Last edited:
just listen to your body but try not to think about it. if you are noticeably and definitely sick from not taking the benzos (don't let your mind fool you. you need to be feeling like SHIT), go ahead and take a low dose. i would, anyway. don't take anymore if you are trying to quit unless you *really* need it. and i mean your body needs to be screaming at you for it. haha. good luck.

just listen to your body but try not to think about it. if you are noticeably and definitely sick from not taking the benzos (don't let your mind fool you. you need to be feeling like SHIT), go ahead and take a low dose. i would, anyway. don't take anymore if you are trying to quit unless you *really* need it. and i mean your body needs to be screaming at you for it. haha. good luck.

Yeah, I have no mental dependence whatsoever to them, 0 desire to take any so I hope there's a bit of correlation between mental and physical dependence, I know I'll probably be fine but I have read that anything over a couple of weeks is bad and risks withdrawal symptoms.

Still not feeling so good, tossed and turned in bed for 3 hours last night before falling into a bad sleep where I was waking up all the time and minutes asleep felt like hours. Again it could possibly just be jet lag, and I doubt I can see my doctor before monday earliest and I guess I'll know by then whether I'm suffering from withdrawals or not.

Edit: Earliest I can see my GP is tuesday afternoon, would it be wise to take 0.5mg/0.25mg lorazepam a day until then if I start feeling alot worse or should I just ride it out since it's been around 60 hours or so since my last dose?

Ugh, I remember those long night. Twitching myself awake 3 times a minute. For hours.
And the horror show night terrors. Sometimes slowing down is just prolonging the agony.
Sometimes it's the only thing keeping you from swallowing your tongue and dying.
Or having a stroke or whatever.

Not a doctor or anything, but I agree, talk to your doc and hang in there.
Withdrawals can take days to kick in and may last weeks. Good luck.
Valerian helped me when I was running low on meds.

Take your meds as needed, if you are feeling the way you are, then just take your meds.
You are not going to become dependent between now and Monday.
So just keep to the schedule that worked for you and discuss the issues you are asking about here with your doctor on Monday.
Don't just stop taking them until you've gotten professional advice (Monday).
Good luck - you will be fine.