• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does Methadone increase tolerance?

youstoned

Bluelighter
If i have been on MMT for little less then a year taking about 40-50mg almost daily
and then stop.

How much does the methadone increase your previous tolerance? Let's say 2 weeks after stopping?

Methadone really fucks with your opiate tolerance. I will NOT touch that shit ever again, NASTY. 40-50mgs is not that high of a dosage for MMT patient to be on for a year. Why did you go on Methadone originally if you don't mind me asking? Cause 40-50mgs of Methadone is a fairly low dosage of Methadone, so you must not have been using for that long, or perhaps using a weaker opiate/opioid.

I've been on Methadone at 2 different clinics here, both clinics were horrible, treated you like a complete junky, the first MMT clinic I was at the doctor raised my Methadone dosage to 190mg/day! I told him I was fine at 140mg/day. I had about a 600mg/day Oxycodone habit previous to this. But, it was all just a money grab.. they could give a shit about your health or if you get better or not. We have some nasty nasty addiction doctors here.

There is only 1 addiction doctor that I know about that actually sits and listens to you, and knows what he's doing. Doesn't bash you or anything like that. Has me on Suboxone 16mg/day. But lately, I've been fucking up, and haven't take my suboxone for a week because I was getting OxyNEO's, and M-ESLON Morphine 200mg's (my fav morphine). And also a bit of my favourite opiate of all time - Hydromorphone.
I've only taken 1 suboxone in a week and that was on Monday late noon, and only sublingual 1 8mg Suboxone. The stupidest rules here in Canada as well. For Suboxone, I have to goto the pharmacy every single day, and I have been on it for over 3 months now, and still have not gotten carries for Suboxone! In Canada, well at least in Alberta, they don't just write Suboxone for as a prescription and you get a bunch of them. We are not as lucky as you guys in EU or the US. We have to go get our daily Suboxone dose and dose at the pharmacy. So its hard to try to spit the Suboxone out of your mouth sometimes before it gets absorbed, incase I used an opiate earlier, I didn't want Precipitated Withdrawls, I always wait at least a 12 hour window.

Anyways about the Methadone, it shot my tolerance up huge, to the point where it would take me at least 200mg of Oxycodone to get ANY relief, because I got dropped so fast on my Methadone dose back in 2008, my pdoc just basically cut me off. He was a complete asshole as well. He cut me off because I went and got an Alprazolam prescription for the lowest dosage you can get. I got a prescription for #50 0.25mg of Alprazolam. Yet people can piss positive with cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamine, and he doesn't care. I got the Alprazolam prescription because I was taking a 2 week vacation to Vegas, so he wrote me Methadone pills instead of having to carry a bunch of liquid bottles. But, as soon as I got home there was a message from my pharmacy saying my prescriptions have changed. He dropped me from 190mg down to 130mg in one day, a few days later, he dropped me to 90mg, then a few later he dropped me to 60mg, and I was having to supplement with other opiates HARDCORE at this point.

Just my $0.02.. I think Methadone does more harm than good.

I think that they should REALLY be using Morphine as an opioid maintenance because Morphine has the longest half life out of, Oxy, Hydro, Fentanyl, Oxymorph, Hydromorph, etc.
Oral Morphine doesn't really even give you a buzz or get you high but IMO it would work a lot better than fucking Deathadone AKA Methadone.
Just like in some Countries in Europe, they use Heroin as opiate maintenance instead of MMT, and i think the end result is definitely better. Hell, its a lot easier to come off Morphine than it is some of these semi-synthetic opioids, etc. I find Morphine works better for pain than Oxycodone does though. But Hydromorphone takes the cake when it comes to pain relief and getting high but I wish it had a longer half life.

Sorry for long post, don't know what the fuck is wrong with me tonight. I took too much Pregabalin I think. Heh 8)

Last edited:
We seem to be in the same situation. I'm also on suboxone. The doctor has me on 16mg/day but i take 2-3mg a day.

I went on MMT because of pharms. Mostly oxy around 150mg/day to stay well.

Couldn't stand the daily nuisance of methadone also so i switched to subs

I'm just wondering if i take a break from the subs for 2 days, How much oxy would it take to catch a buzz?
if it took 70-100mg oxy b4 all the maintenance to get a buzz, where would i be now? would i need more or less oxy?

If you take methadone for a long time, some level of tolerance can be permanent - it is unlikely you will ever get back to where you were before you ever tried opioids. Also when you start using opioids again your tolerance is going to go up very rapidly, much faster than tolerance built when you first started using opioids. Everyone is going to be different in how quickly their tolerance goes down after stopping methadone, so it's always safest to assume your tolerance is much lower and start with a very low dose of whatever opioid you're planning on taking. I have to ask though, if you were taking 50mg/day for a year, you didn't just stop abruptly did you? I mean you must have been using other opioids during the past 2 weeks right?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your last post. So you switched from methadone to Suboxone and you are expecting your tolerance to drop? If you are just taking the smallest amount of Subs possible to alleviate withdrawals it should get somewhat lower, but the Suboxone is going to have a partial blocking effect of other opioids. If you don't take Suboxone for a couple days, you should be able to catch a buzz off oxy, but it's impossible to say what dose would be appropriate and safe. Everyone is so different. All you can do is start with a low amount of oxy and from there you should be able to judge better. It's always better to do too little than too much - you can always take more later.