• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does subxone block opiates?

youstoned

Bluelighter
I have 2 root canals coming up and need to have pain control.

background:
2 weeks ago i went from 40mg methadone (1yr) to subxone.after 60hr from last dose.

I am currently taking 2 to 3mg a day.

My last dose was 2mg last night.

How many hours before I feel opiates? Also would 50mg dose oxycodone be sufficient dose for pain control?
b4 starting methadone i was taking 120mg/day of oxycodone.

Also which is stronger at blocking opiates. High dose methadone or 2 mg suboxone?

the receptors should be clear before you put more crap on there & that takes over 3days.
I'd say 36 hours at the very least (which is bupe's half-life) but if you can manage it I'd wait 3 days, the effects will be much stronger if you do.

If your usual dose is 2-3mg a day, then 50mg should most definitely be sufficient for most cases of pain, but everyone is different. I would suggest starting with 20mg, then wait 30 minutes to see if that is sufficient. If not, then up the dose. Usually people find that after 24-48 hours after their last sub dose opiates begin having an effect.

I find, personally, that Suboxone is stronger at blocking do to the naloxone in the formulation.

^But naloxone has a very short half-life and is orally almost inactive. :?
Contrary to popular belief, since buprenorphine has such a high affinity (higher then naloxone), the naloxone does not affect the user even when injected. The naloxone does not precipitate withdrawal or block the effect of other opioids, it's the buprenorphine itself that does that.

Bupe definitely has higher affinity than methadone, but I'm not to sure how to compare 2mg of bupe to "high dose" of methadone. (Having never used them myself.)

Last edited:
^But naloxone has a very short half-life and is orally almost inactive. :?
Contrary to popular belief, since buprenorphine has such a high affinity (higher then naloxone), the naloxone does not affect the user even when injected. The naloxone does not precipitate withdrawal or block the effect of other opioids, it's the buprenorphine itsself that does that.

Bupe definitely has higher affinity than methadone, but I'm not to sure how to compare 2mg of bupe to "high dose" of methadone. (Having never used them myself.)

I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up. I know I've seen naloxone being injected in OD cases and lives saved from it. However, I have regrettably not done much research on this pharm itself besides the basics.

And I can wait a week and still feel nothing. I think it's really individual and you just have to try and see for yourself. I recommend 72 hours in between at least if you want any euphoria.

Methadone does not block other opiates like subutex by the way it just raises tolerance to a riddiculous level.

I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up. I know I've seen naloxone being injected in OD cases and lives saved from it. However, I have regrettably not done much research on this pharm itself besides the basics.

Naloxone will do this, however the naloxone in subuxone has no effect whatsoever unless injected.

While it has been used that way, it's rather rare. Narcan would be the proper thing to use. Suboxone has, in rare cases, been used in emergency OD situations to knock the current opiate off of the opioid receptors. It takes into account buprenorphines super high affinity, which basically knocks whatever current agonist is saturating the receptors. However, it's still extremely dangerous and is not at all recommended for trying to save someone who is ODing. The buprenorphine still takes over the receptors and depending on the dose could put the person back in OD.

The naloxone contained in suboxone is extremely minimal, and has no effect what so ever on buprenorphine. The buprenorphine has a much higher affinity and blocks out any naloxone. It's really completely pointless for it to be in the drug cocktail. I think the ONLY time naloxone can have some effects is when people IV high doses of suboxone. I'm not absolutely positive on that though, but I think I remember seeing it said somewhere.

Any other ROA though, the naloxone is negligible as far as effects go. And note, doses <2mg, norbuprenorphine is the active metabolite on your receptors and is a full agonist. Low doses are ideal for recreational users but it's also a good thing to know. Anything above 2mg and buprenorphine takes over, though only a partial agonist.