• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adverse synthetic marijuana symptoms

Laurieann

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I was given a "joint" of what he thought was Marijuana (he never smoked before) he smoked the entire joint at once. He then had hallucinations, heart palpitations, seeing things that weren't there, got very hot feeling, thought he was going to die. I then took him to ER that drug tested him, it was a clean drug test they then said it was probably synthetic marijuana. It has been 11 months of a on and off nightmare. He has been having breathing problems which he feels he is suffocating, tightness in his chest the breathing problem is 24/7 I need to mention that my son ALREADY had generalized anxiety disorder BEFORE this crap. Also he has GI issues, blood pressure spikes, panic attacks since this. I have had full pulmonary tests done, full CBC blood panels, chest cat, all normal. He does not seem to be suffering any psychosis he is in reality it is more physical pain and discomfort. Has anyone else had the breathing issue? If so did it go away as it is becoming unbearable. Another question is would a seratonin uptake inhibitor be a bad thing as this synthetic holds on to your receptors I was thinking of giving him this but afraid that it would hurt him worse if that stuff is still gunked on his receptors. Any advice is appreciated as we are at the end of our rope

Last edited:
SWIMing is against BL guidelines.

It sounds to me like the synthetic cannabinoid has brought up an underlying issue of schitzofrenia or increased the effects of anxiety disorder.

Therapy and counselling may be your best bet.

When you drink alcohol, do you feel the symptoms subside or worsen?
Are you a frequent user of Benzodiazepines/alcohol/GHB/ Barbiturates?

SWIMing is against BL guidelines.

It sounds to me like the synthetic cannabinoid has brought up an underlying issue of schitzofrenia or increased the effects of anxiety disorder.

Therapy and counselling may be your best bet.

When you drink alcohol, do you feel the symptoms subside or worsen?
Are you a frequent user of Benzodiazepines/alcohol/GHB/ Barbiturates?

Sorry about the guideline new here....Yes alcohol actually makes it all go away I dont know what to make of that.

no not a frequent user. But the breathing was so bad that alcohol a good amount of it made him feel back to normal for the first time sice smoking it which in my opinion is not good due to possibly getting addicted trying to drown out symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have had these symptoms for 11 months since smoking it? Have you used other drugs since then? I would definitely recommend finding a very good doctor and therapist/counsellor/etc (like especially one who can recommend non-drug treatments). It may have triggered or worsened an underlying mental health issue (like your anxiety). This is definitely not the first time I've heard of this happening from synthetic cannabinoids. And a Bluelighter's friend just overdosed badly on a synth cannabinoid the other day (there was a big thread about it). People assume these drugs are safe and are just like cannabis, or even give or sell them to people on pot on on herbs that looking like pot. Stupid War on Drugs :(. Sorry that this happened to you <3

If all your tests were normal the breathing problems sound like anxiety. For example in panic attacks people frequently feel like they can't breathe.

Not sure about an SSRI. Do you have a good doctor who you can be completely honest with? And is there any way to find out exactly what you smoked (like did you ask whoever gave you the "joint"? I'm assuming it's not something you can find out but just thought I'd ask). I can try to do some research on whether or not an SSRI would be advisable if you want.

Also what kind of physical pain are you in?

EDIT: And is it really your son or you? I was assuming you were just saying "my son" like how some people are afraid to say it's really them, but let me know if it is in fact your son.

Physical pain is tightness in stomach and chest and throat, GI issues, feel lie I am not getting any air hen I breathe so I have to yawn and take deep breaths constantly. Blood pressure spikes that put me in ER. feeling of suffocation. these are not triggered as in regular anxiety this is 24/7. The person who gave it to e insisted it was pot but the ER said it wasnt that it was a synthetic he is lying and nowhere to be found. He said he got it shipped from Cali from a medicinal marijuana lab. Pot doesnt cause hat I went thru and would have shown in a drug test at first I thought he gave me pot laced with PCP but negative at hospital.I have been to so many doctors. One doc thought it was sensorimotor OCD and treated me for that to no avail I knew it wasnt that this doctors are oblivvious to the after effects of synthetic they dont listen

Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone and then they are alright after awhile? Also I would appreciate it if you could find any info on if a SSRI will hurt me more. I go to doc on saturday to try SSRI I am willing to try anything if this doesnt work I am going to Neurofeeback therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy

I've seen people at the homeless shelter absolutely freak out (sky-high blood pressure, sweating uncontrollably, feeling of impending death, etc) smoking synthetics. My son's friend had taken 5 or 6 hits and passed out for a few minutes. But to answer your question, everyone I know who had a bad reaction quickly recovered from it so you may have some underlying condition. I'm glad they banned it here in my county. You just don't know what you're getting. Hope you find some answers when you see your doctor.

I really have to wonder WTH he gave me???????? cause it could have been anything

It does sound like it triggered a bad case of general anxiety disorder. I have not been diagnosed with it, but when I quit using amphetamines I think I was in a similar situation. Much physical discomfort, had a tightness around the chest 24/7 and also tension headaches that would not go away. On top of that I also had breathing difficulties(shortness of breath all the time, fast and shallow breathing).

This may sound stupid, but relaxation breathing exercices can really work wonders. Atleast they did for me. It really helps to calm you down and it sure can't hurt to try it! Just try sitting down (comfortably) or alternatively lying down (not as good) and try focussing on your breath. Don't give up after a minute! Give it a chance. Try to breathe through your stomach and not your chest. It should help you relax.

SSRI's can definitely help too for anxiety, they won't screw anything else up but when you quit you will have to do so gradually over a period of time as they cause a physical dependency. My experience with SSRI's is that they stabilize the mood and (for the most part) get rid of anxiety. The mood stabilization was something I thoroughly hated (felt litterally nothing) so I didn't take them very long. The SSRI I took is 'citalopram'.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info, I did try the breathing excercises to no avail I pray the SSRI helps. I was diagnosed with GAD years before I smoked this but it was always manageable til now. Did I mentioned that I OD on the synthetic thinking it was regualr pot I smoked entire joint at one time

Also Poison control center told me if you already have anxiety it only takes one time???But would not elaborate what she meant

Also Poison control center told me if you already have anxiety it only takes one time???But would not elaborate what she meant

She meant underlying psychiatric conditions that are already present but haven't manifested (yet) are very likely to do so if you smoke weed. If you already had anxiety, weed can be a trigger to conjure up (more) anxiety and/or panic attacks. (For alot of people it is a trigger of anxiety! Or has become one over time.)
But for most people who have it has a trigger, it will only make them uncomfortable/anxious during the high and maybe a short time after. (a few hours)
I don't know why your condition is so persistent though..

Thanks for that info, I did try the breathing excercises to no avail I pray the SSRI helps. I was diagnosed with GAD years before I smoked this but it was always manageable til now. Did I mentioned that I OD on the synthetic thinking it was regualr pot I smoked entire joint at one time
Maybe it was something wrong with the synthetic? Or just because it was too many CBDs at a time. I don't have an answer for this, I'm sorry.
I've never heard of these problems persisting for so long (atleast not at this severity). So it should pass sooner rather than later..
GL with the SSRI's, let us know if they're working for you.

Btw, SSRI's don't start working until you're taking them a few weeks. You probably already know this but thought I'd throw it in here aswell.

PTC %)

Thanks! I also need to mention I have been diagnosed with a Pure OCD as well as GAD so I have a few things going on that were under control til that crap!