• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Orthodontic braces and crystal meth...

killacali1

Greenlighter
I smoked crystal meth almost daily for about 1.5 mos. I also have braces. I practice dental care often as recommended, brushing and using a Waterpik. Is there anything I should know about vaporizing meth and orthodontic braces such as precautions or any differences in the risk of your teeth with braces? Had a hard time finding info on this topic...

Last edited:
1) we don't "SWIM" at bluelight. each member that signs up for a screenname/handle on this website is REQUIRED to read the BLUa (or whatever the exact name it is) and it specifically states that...well, you go read it.

2) it is unlikely that you will find any information on the question that you're asking because frankly, I have never met anyone in my entire experience of using meth (lots of years, metric fuck tons of people met...) who had braces. Honestly I would probably cock my head to the side like a dog when they have that confused "WTF?!?" look...or one of those birds who looks like they can damn near turn their head upside down to look at ya......yeahhh.

3) if you continue to practice excellent oral hygiene as it says you are, it is unlikely you will see any (or very little) negative side effects of the meth weather you use braces or not. I honestly can not think of one reason braces could make the negative effects worse in any way.

keep brushin'.

Please edit your post to comply with the BLUA (link in my signature).

Smoking meth WILL have a negative effect on your teeth.
I know that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's true, especially if you wear braces.
With braces (which are used to "align" your teeth), any weakening of your teeth will have a negative impact on your future objective/health for your teeth.

Even with all the brushing, smoking meth almost every day for 1½ months is toxic for your teeth and that 1½ months turns into years very quickly (I've been there).
You obviously enjoy the drug, so why not take it orally?
If you use this ROA and practise good dental hygiene (which I'm sure your orthodontist has explained to you, and as you said in your post), then there will be far less damage (if any) to your teeth.

I'm not going to go into any damage to the rest of your body(as we are talking "teeth" here), so I am just trying to warn you that if you continue smoking meth your teeth will suffer and make the whole "braces" ordeal a waste of money and results (when the braces finally do come off).

You will be very pleasantly surprised with oral dosing compared to smoking.
I'm not condoning the use of meth, I'm just giving you the info you need for harm reduction.

(and remember to edit out that "SWIM" in your opening post) .

I guess we were all n00bs at one time.But still. If you are going to be part of this community, read something first so you'll know who you are dealing with.

I'd like to add that snorting meth will also fuck your teeth up.

It's systemic.

I would imagine you could chew the braces to pieces without knowing it, is that possible? I could also imagine a more extreme dosage case where the meth brain decides it is not happy with strange things being in its mouth and therefore forcefully removing them. A buddy did this on coke long ago. This is also rare i think.

On the plus side though the braces could hold your teeth and jaw in place when gurning and this should also help greatly when the time comes to prevent meth mouth and teeth falling out to some degree, should you still have the braces in place by then and not already sold them for scrape metal to fund your next fix.

Sorry about the SWIM incident, I joined a few forums in my paranoia of searches and forgot which one did not use the acronym SWIM though I do remember reading that one forum did not, I got confused. Thanks for the info, I have read so many horror stories about meth but so far the high has been pretty safe, no picking of skin, hallucinations or any other major disturbances lol. The side effects have been extreme happiness, talkativeness, and may fidget a bit, that is all and a small amount will last.

so far the high has been pretty safe, no picking of skin, hallucinations or any other major disturbances lol. The side effects have been extreme happiness, talkativeness, and may fidget a bit, that is all and a small amount will last.

In the short term I don't doubt what you are saying.
You asked about its effect on your teeth, if you carry on smoking meth like you have been then in the long term you can say goodbye to your teeth (a "side effect" that you will only notice once it is too late).

Sorry about the SWIM incident
Please edit your post accordingly. (rules are rules)

In the short term I don't doubt what you are saying.
You asked about its effect on your teeth, if you carry on smoking meth like you have been then in the long term you can say goodbye to your teeth (a "side effect" that you will only notice once it is too late).

Please edit your post accordingly. (rules are rules)
OK will do now

I had braces for the majority of my meth addiction. Just practice good oral hygiene, stay hydrated, and you can also try to make a habit out of keeping your tooter/pipe behind your front teeth (not sure if this really helps much). I did all this and have no major problems but your mileage may vary.

I had braces for the majority of my meth addiction. Just practice good oral hygiene, stay hydrated, and you can also try to make a habit out of keeping your tooter/pipe behind your front teeth (not sure if this really helps much). I did all this and have no major problems but your mileage may vary.
Thanks, your advice was most helpful :)

I just cant imagine a tweaker with braces. If you dont mind try keep in touch and let us know how the meth dealt with this new concept. I would be interested in any tweaked thoughts on the topic and how it might react or deal with this new situation. Like obsessive thoughts paranoid delusions about your teeth being shackled which represents how your goverment might be tightening gun laws and restraining your right to defend yourself.

I would also avoid getting close to psychosis as the common thoughts about being watched and hidden microchips or cameras being planted everywhere could cause some harmful trains of thought and behavior. Just FYI. Oh and thus also avoid other tweakers and anybody that seems to be staring at your mouth while whispering to them-self.

And just to be fully prepared. Create a firm understanding in your mind that is backed by facts that the braces and its material makeup is not pawn able or valuable in terms of trading for cash. Meths flawless logic will try convince you of their value as being what the entire process cost you or your insurance, so obvious, so logical. This would be your downfall usually but now you can prepare you defense.

Good luck man. You are treading new ground here, keep your guard up and maybe pave a path for future braces/tweaker generations, or god forbid stand as a warning of doom down that road awaits in which case your sacrifce will save countless others. A worthy persuit no matter the outcome.

Last edited:
An old girl friend of mine had braces and constantly fell into psychosis, she never seemed to have any issues with her braces.

Smoking meth WILL have a negative effect on your teeth.

*sigh*

here we go again...

Can you possibly show me a reliable study or some type of proof that "smoking meth WILL have a negative effect on your teeth?" I have smoked meth for years, every day, multiple times a day, and I have perfect pearly whites and never had a cavity. I also have a good handfull of friends who also use, and as far as the eye can see, there's no missing teeth or rotting or foul breath, etc. The whole "dental decay" aspect of the media coverage on meth is mostly hype and a sort of urban legend - it places an absurd emphasis on a relatively minor aspect of the damage meth can do to a person, because it evokes feelings of revulsion in the general population. Sure, if that's what they think it takes to get people to not use meth, than so be it. But it irritates me that there are "responsible" users who actually take the time to brush their teeth and have "normal" hygiene habits and we don't all look like toothless ogres who live under a bridge.

Nowhere, under any information (that is reliable and from a respectable doctor/college/research institute etc.) do I see listed under side effects for methamphetamine - rotting teeth, tooth decay, tooth loss - NONE of the above are listed. The only side effect listed that has to do with the mouth is bruxism (jaw clenching/teeth grinding) and dry mouth. Yes, I do agree that the two afformentioned oral side effects can most definitely lead to one having cavities or tooth loss, but dry mouth and bruxism do not equal worse oral problems indefinitely.

Most of the population has gingivitis....not just us dirty methheads.

Drug addicts suffer from poor health in general. Constant use of hard drugs can take a heavy toll on a person's body from head to toe, weather it's heroin or crack or cocaine, methamphetamine, or alcohol. Meth users place a tremendous strain on their body. They are often awake for days at a time. They are often eating very little/nothing and so they are getting minimal nutrition. As a stimulant, meth can raise the heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature to dangerous levels. Chronic sleep deprivation can massively weaken a person's immune system, making them far more susceptible to illness and disease. So yeah - would I say that it is probably more LIKELY that one will have negative issues with their teeth if they are using methamphetamine for a long period of time, if they don't use personal responsiblilty by performing daily hygiene procedures. But it's not right to say that methamphetamine itself causes tooth loss/decay/etc.

Drug addicts often tend to ignore their personal hygiene and appearance. *Some* addicts focus in life is the addiction - and between getting high and working out a plan to stay high and plotting ways to get even higher in the near future...who has time for friends or family or laundry or showering or brushing your teeth? I believe that it is personal poor hygiene practices that leads to what everyone deems as "meth mouth."
Go and take a look at the teeth of some crackheads, heroin junkies, and alcoholics...you don't see any commercials for "Crack mouth" or "booze teeth..." End of story.

I can't say for certain if the acidity of meth can contribute to tooth decay or erode the enamel on them, but it doesn't seem too unreasonable an assumption, however I can't find any proof of it. I'm sure if you rubbed shards all over your mouth and teeth everyday, it would be likely that you'd experience a loss of tooth enamel...

Even with all the brushing, smoking meth almost every day for 1½ months is toxic for your teeth...
You obviously enjoy the drug, so why not take it orally?
If you use this ROA and practise good dental hygiene (which I'm sure your orthodontist has explained to you, and as you said in your post), then there will be far less damage (if any) to your teeth.

The idea that "contaminents" in meth are somehow to blame is pretty laughable. I hate to break it to everyone out there, but the ingredients for meth that are so poisonous and toxic really aren't all that exotic or out of the ordinary from a chemistry standpoint. Those grocery lists you read about - saying that meth is made from "gun cleaner, fertilizer, household chemicals, and cold medicine, rat popison blah blah blah" - that's a distortion that serves the media and gov't's agenda to make meth sound really really scary - and the average journalist or citizen doesn't know anything about chemistry so this confusion persists. The manufacture of meth usually involves taking ephedrine or psuedo-ephedrine (active ingredient in most cold medicine) and through a series of chemical reactions you "reduce" it on a molecular level to methamphetamine. This is relatively easy because they have a very similar structure to each other, a difference of like one alpha-hydroxy group. It's harder for most people to figure out than is popularly portrayed. It's not "cooking" like throwing a frozen pizza in the oven, specialized knowledge is required. There is no room for imprecision ... but it's not too tough either, all things considered. Anyone who was properly motivated and had at least an average capacity for learning could accomplish it, but the legal risks, the hassle to obtain the precursors, and people's basic laziness and disinclination towards intellectual activities dissuade them from trying.

There are a number of toxic or poisonous chemicals used in the manufacture of meth. There are also a number of toxic or poisonous chemicals used to synthesize all of the drugs your doctor prescribes you and in all kinds of common consumer products you live with every day and so on. You wouldn't want to swallow any of it straight or breathe some laboratory fumes, but if the process is carried out correctly the final product won't bear any appreciable resemblence to those deadly chemicals that were used to facilitate its creation. They're removed or destroyed or transformed into something else.

Most street drugs aren't "pharm grade", they typically have some impurities, still usually not a big deal. And when "cut" is added by dealers to increase their profits it is usually something totally harmless but cosmetically similar. There is definite potential here for some type of cut to be put in street methamphetamine that could have an additional negative effect on one's mouth - but I doubt it, and don't know for sure.

I'm not condoning the use of meth, I'm just giving you the info you need for harm reduction .

telling somebody that oral use of meth as opposed to vaporization will somehow save their teeth - I wouldn't consider that harm reduction. Personal experience maybe...but not HR.

Methamphetamine vapor is corrosive to tooth enamel. Dry mouth is also terrible for teeth.

Both are easily avoidable.

1) Find a different ROA other than smoking (Rectal or Oral are recommended)
2) Drink plenty of water and get electrolytes.
3) Brush.

Can you possibly show me a reliable study or some type of proof that "smoking meth WILL have a negative effect on your teeth?"

Google "effects of smoking crystal meth on teeth".
You will get about 964,000 results.
Choose one.

Edit--- I had to have 16 of my teeth re enamelled. A very costly and lengthy process. This happened after smoking meth for 2 years and practising healthy dental care. My enamel will never be as strong as it was before I started smoking meth.
How can that have no effect on someone who is wearing braces?

Last edited:
My opinion is that the teeth thing is caused completely from not brushing, dry mouth, vitamins.

If you dont think its the above then simply accept that you are wrong.

Inhaling smoked vapors that are powerful enough to damage your teeth would melt the flesh from your mouth at the same time. Or at absolute minimum hurt like fucking shit if you inhaled them.

If you disagreem explain why your mouth flesh is immune to this corrosive vapor that burns enamel but somehow your lungs are immune

The most smoking anything will do is discolour your teeth like cigs do and maybe more and faster

My opinion is that the teeth thing is caused completely from not brushing, dry mouth, vitamins.

Inhaling smoked vapors that are powerful enough to damage your teeth would melt the flesh from your mouth at the same time. Or at absolute minimum hurt like fucking shit if you inhaled them.

If you disagreem explain why your mouth flesh is immune to this corrosive vapor that burns enamel but somehow your lungs are immune

The most smoking anything will do is discolour your teeth like cigs do and maybe more and faster

Well none of that shit helps.. Hah. It certainly adds to the nastiness but the acidity of the meth from all the nasty shit that is in it can directly damage your teeth as well.

Thanks, your advice was most helpful :)

Glad to help! I've always been pretty anal about oral hygiene even before ever using meth lol. I would actually obsessively brush and floss sometimes while high.. not sure if you should do the same though. Doing it till your gums bleed probably isn't good either. 8)

Probably because tooth enamel doesn't grow back like mouth and lung tissue.
If one gets an ulcer in their mouth, it heals back, but a hole in the enamel, it's there to stay.

I could be wrong, the enamel could be stripped as a result of some chemical nature of methamphetamine.

Meth vapor is also responsible for quite a few serious lung illnesses long term. Smoking is not an ROA a person wants to use the majority of the time. I'm sorry if you feel defendant of this particular method, but it just adds another list of side effects to one of the most depriving drugs.