Recruiting BBC: Highs & Lows on Legal highs?

cilla_black

Greenlighter
The BBC is making a documentary on legal highs and wants to hear from users. What’s good, what’s bad – worst and best moments?

Whether you’ve had the night of your life on them, or a terrible experience – we want to hear from you.

Police and MPs are having their say – so what do you think? If you’d like to talk more please get in touch by phone 0207 765 1210 or email [email protected]

If you’d just like to put a succinct totally anonymous viewpoint – just call this mobile number and leave us a phone message we can use in the film. We’ll make no attempt to contact or follow up on that call. We just want your viewpoint. You can leave that message on 07442 454 081.

The programme will be broadcast on Inside Out London on BBC1 in January 2013. We'd like to use clips of you telling us about your experiences - but audio only.

Hi thanks for posting this. Are you only seeking to recruit participants from within the UK or are people from outside the UK allowed to email and call in too? :)

Oh great. Stock up whilst you can, RC fans.

Edit: Hah, this died a death. I'm good at that.

Last edited:
How should we submit these? I have a phone and a mic for my computer, but how should I record it? I can use HyperCam or something but is there some specific way you'd like to do this? Because I had a lengthy time period when I was younger were I experimented with a few legal highs and I would love to help you with some experiences. :)

My Skype is "masoknox", we can talk there.

EDIT: Also, how would I be able to call being as I'm in America? I'd prefer to leave an Anonymous drop-off review.

Hi - thanks for your comments and replies. We're mainly looking for people from the UK to contribute. But I'm interested in everyone's experiences so please do continue to email me - that's the best way to contact me and then if necessary we will call you on skype and record the conversation at our end.

Julia

indeed police and mps are having their say and considering their attitude and actions towards this type of discussion I'm wondering weather us voicing our concerns would be of any use at all.
after what happened to Mr David Nutt, I doubt very much that a sample of us telling the BBC that sites like this, which help provide informations and spread a culture of cautious and informed use of any drug (as much as is known at the time), have lessened the dangers of people taking random pills from a street dealer with no idea whatsoever what type of substance is present in it.
If the government isn't willing to listen to their appointed scientist conclusions surely we will be unable to change that.

and the result would just be more exposure to the public with consequent worry and banning by lawmakers. that is unfortunately the only way they see fit to face the problem, unaware that it is actually making it worse.

there will always be chemical modifications that don't fit the "catch all" clauses. perhaps it would be a better solution if the government itself stopped playing catch up with the chemists and just accepted the fact that its human nature and not a "problem" that will go away anytime soon.
everytime they ban a substance they are just opening doors to new uncharted territory that people will walk onto and doing a massive disservice and potentially damage to them.
that said I do appreciate your efforts Julia, I hope your story will be able to also give a fair side to the people who are forced to resort to analog chemicals because their well known and studied counterparts have been made unavailable by unaware politicians which at the same time have no problem with most of country binge drinking at every occasion.

indeed police and mps are having their say and considering their attitude and actions towards this type of discussion I'm wondering weather us voicing our concerns would be of any use at all.
after what happened to Mr David Nutt, I doubt very much that a sample of us telling the BBC that sites like this, which help provide informations and spread a culture of cautious and informed use of any drug (as much as is known at the time), have lessened the dangers of people taking random pills from a street dealer with no idea whatsoever what type of substance is present in it.
If the government isn't willing to listen to their appointed scientist conclusions surely we will be unable to change that.

and the result would just be more exposure to the public with consequent worry and banning by lawmakers. that is unfortunately the only way they see fit to face the problem, unaware that it is actually making it worse.

there will always be chemical modifications that don't fit the "catch all" clauses. perhaps it would be a better solution if the government itself stopped playing catch up with the chemists and just accepted the fact that its human nature and not a "problem" that will go away anytime soon.
everytime they ban a substance they are just opening doors to new uncharted territory that people will walk onto and doing a massive disservice and potentially damage to them.
that said I do appreciate your efforts Julia, I hope your story will be able to also give a fair side to the people who are forced to resort to analog chemicals because their well known and studied counterparts have been made unavailable by unaware politicians which at the same time have no problem with most of country binge drinking at every occasion.
This is the best post of this nature ive read in a longtime and proof that not all drug users are brain-dead fools that need to be protected from their own ignorance.
David Nutt shared many of these views himself in his book 'Drugs-without the hot air'.

Yeah, thank the lawd for honest brokers like Prof. Nutt, a voice of sanity in a clamour of utter nonsense emanating from the MPs that make absurd and unenforcable laws and neo-fascist red-tops like the Mailthat love to whip up anti-drug hysteria. Now khat is going to be made illegal: yet again racism allies itself with the thought police. Sure Julia put a camera on me, but I'd doubtless end up on the editor's floor. You know, Julia, the BBC is still a marvel of public broadcasting, but one can't be 'balanced' on matters when there are clearly rights and wrongs, and I'm sure you know as well as me that 'objectivity' is a spurious goal. 'Not taking sides' is taking an f***ing side! C'mon Julia. You've been to university. Doubtless your one those attractive, intelligent young women we see so often on the telly. And good for you. Still not enough women. So, 'fess up. You never did any drugs when you were out dancing the night away? Too much damnable hypocrisy, as ever in perfidious Albion. So give me a soap-box. I'll tell you what I think about the royal family and the vile caste system that deforms this country too, if you'd like.